Adam Gilchrist announces his retirement from all forms of Cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Adam Gilchrist announces his retirement from all forms of Cricket *TBC*

:(

Worst feeling of my life.
Come on, champ.

Every career has to end sometime.

Gilly picked the right moment to go.

Wait until you get out of your teens - you'll have plenty of worse feelings by then.

Haddin is destined to become a victim of the high standards Gilchrist set which is sad, because he's a damn fine player in his own right even if he doesn't have the same talent Gilly did.

Yeah i know, i've been a harsh person on this board recently. Honestly they'll give him time to find his feet, but the comparisons to Gilly's ability plus the detractors will no doubt come from all directions

Posted it in the other thread but worth posting again

A 17 year old Adam Gilchrist interviewed by the BBC in 1989 while playing for Richmond over there during theis summer time
[YOUTUBE]ARE4RDqARNk[/YOUTUBE]

You have to love the ending to that video.

England be warned!

:D

The end of a fantastic career.

We have been lucky to be able to see it.

But although some will not admit it or blame outside sources, the end has been coming for a while. A drop of in production with the bat as well as with the gloves. As not been the Gilly we have come to love over the years. So he has steped out at the right time before he slips further, with a great replacement in Brad Haddin.

Thanks for the memories Gilly.

WA wont be happy with this. Haddin is not out overnight with NSW needing plenty.

so who gets the vice captain's role now?

m clarke or m hussey ?

Re: Adam Gilchrist announces his retirement from Test Cricket

Yeah cricinfo is saying ALL FORMS OF CRICKET.

I hope the media is happy.

yeah, didn't have a great time with the gloves recently but there have been a few that have gone on longer in worse form.
hopefully darren berry will now shut his fat, b-grade cricket mouth.
well done gilly, thanks for the memories.:thumbsu:

The end of a great career.:(
Good luck to him in the future.
Who'll open the batting in ODI's once he's gone?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What can ya say really.. An amazing career that we have all watched since he burst onto the scene. Hopefully he can have a good finish off to this test match and then thrill us in the one day series.

What can ya say really.. An amazing career that we have all watched since he burst onto the scene. Hopefully he can have a good finish off to this test match and then thrill us in the one day series.
He's not playing in the ODI series. After this test it's GAME OVER. No more competitive cricket.

But wasn't he meant to go to that IPL thing with Punter and Haydos?

God stop blaming the media FFS
Gilly is a legend but face facts he's been slipping dramatically since 2005. and really any keeper that drops as many sitters as Gilly has this series deserves to be under pressure. That is the price of having a great side and great depth. While I'm sure he would have been allowed to get 100 tests if he didn't perform soon I'm sure you can add the selectors as ones questioning Gilly's place in the side. What are you talking about the media attacking him anyway, have any of you see the tabloids in England what Gilly has 'suffered here' is nothing compared to what he would get elsewhere. If he really was forced out by what he got in the last week then really I'd say he's not mentally tough enough to play any more anyway.
This decision was entirely Gilly's and hhe has gone out on his own terms in his home country. I look forward to Gilly's one day series and hope he can give us a few last memories in a great career.

He's not playing in the ODI series. After this test it's GAME OVER. No more competitive cricket.

Gilly IS playing in the One Dayers.

"Gilchrist announces his retirement

Peter English at Adelaide Oval

January 26, 2008

Adam Gilchrist, who revolutionised the role of the wicketkeeper-batsman, has retired from Tests barely 24 hours after taking the world record for dismissals. The shock news means Gilchrist will depart on a global high at the end of the fourth match against India on Monday and his last ODI appearances will come in the CB Series, which finishes in March. "

Well there you go. Something of a surprise in light of his recent comments about playing on for at least another 12 months and not ruling out the 2009 Ashes tour*.

Obviously something changed his mind.

In any case what a grand career he's had and how priveleged we've been to witness it. That's McGrath, Warne, Langer, Martyn and now Gilchrist all gone with Hayden still to come. Poor old Punter's job just gets harder by the day.

*It reminds me a bit of Steve Waugh's musings in the months leading up to his sudden retirement; lots of talk about "feeling 21 again and playing til I'm 40" followed by a sudden retirement announcement.

"Gilchrist announces his retirement

Peter English at Adelaide Oval

January 26, 2008

Adam Gilchrist, who revolutionised the role of the wicketkeeper-batsman, has retired from Tests barely 24 hours after taking the world record for dismissals. The shock news means Gilchrist will depart on a global high at the end of the fourth match against India on Monday and his last ODI appearances will come in the CB Series, which finishes in March. "
OMG! YES!!! I have to, and I mean I HAVE TO go to the MCG in the first or last one dayer there. I HAVE TO see him.

Good for him.

It's going to be weird without him, but I think the timing is great. He's not going to continue on into mediocrity, like many sportspeople, which is always a good thing.

Like someone said on the front page, Haddin is cherry ripe.

Oh well, a superb career has finally come to an end, thought he was full of it when he said he had no intentions to retire anytime in the next 12 months, was getting too old, should have retired from ODIs atleast a year ago to prolong his test career

At least Gilly has 2 new records for when he retires. The most consecutive test matches by a cricket (recently surpassing Dravid in the 2nd or 3rd test) and the most catches.

On baggygreen website says he was going to play the one dayers? thats sucks if he isnt.

Good for him.

It's going to be weird without him, but I think the timing is great. He's not going to continue on into mediocrity, like many sportspeople, which is always a good thing.

Like someone said on the front page, Haddin is cherry ripe.

I think Warnie said it best on his retirement. "Better to be asked why your retiring, rather than why haven't you." or something like that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Adam Gilchrist announces his retirement from all forms of Cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Back