Adam Selwood Sprint Star

Remove this Banner Ad

I would have moved Selwood off Yarran after he just jogged away from him over 200m to goal the first time, but to let him do it 3 times was very average coaching.
Especially when Brennan was right there.

Not sure if he was on Garlett at that stage though?

Played well on Ballantyne in Rd1, but smashed twice in the last three weeks. Should be dropped and for someone at his stage of his career it'll probably be permanent. Don't hold your breath on our MC making that call.

Was I watching a different game? He couldn't match Yarran's acceleration, but he was one of the few who gave their all in the team tonight.

This thread would be completely different if some of his teammates did THEIR jobs and kicked the goals. I agree he is slowing down with age and it's becoming a bit more obvious this season, but come on. This thread is full of shite. He was hardly the guy to target after that game. There are a lot more ahead of him.

Was I watching a different game? He couldn't match Yarran's acceleration, but he was one of the few who gave their all in the team tonight.

This thread would be completely different if some of his teammates did THEIR jobs and kicked the goals. I agree he is slowing down with age and it's becoming a bit more obvious this season, but come on. This thread is full of shite. He was hardly the guy to target after that game. There are a lot more ahead of him.
So even when we have a fully fit team, you believe a HB line of Hurn, Waters and Selwood is a winning combination? Tag Hurn and there is no run out of the backline. waters is a great player and plays a role. I struggle to see what Selwoods role in the team is.

To be completely blunt, A.Selwood was a player that failed in the midfield a fair few years back and got shifted to a less onerous role. He has been failing at this for a while now as well.

Out of curiosity who are the fastest players on our list in order?
From draft camp results and some official things ive heard.

Ash Smith
Jacob Brennan
Nic Nat
Shuey
Schofield

I reckon darling might be pretty close too.
According to eagle vision masten is now the fastest over 20m. But he didn't used to be.
Speed changes a lot over time.

well he was at least chasing all be it slowly. go back a few frames and spot the guys who elected not to chase. That to me is the real concern. Garlett made up 20 metres to shepherd yarran yet no eagles player got anywhere near to help selwood.

A Selwood and Embley are finished, in my opinion. If not now, definitely by the end of the season.

Brennan, Hams and Dalziell also are not up to it.

Agree with all of this, sad but true and I feel Butler is not far off being spent as well.

Brennan and ash smith would have for a start, both are incredibly fast. But woosha being the arrogant silly he is had no problem with a selwood staying on him.

Really? If you pay to actually take 2mins to actually learn afl, small forwards are defended by ensuring they don't get goal side of you. This happened to selwood because we turned the ball over as we were streaming forward. You can't do much about that.

difference between selwood and rest is that he doesn't allow his man goal side at stoppages. We have all seen ash smith fall asleep and his man turn him inside out. Selwood actually chased after his man and not just give up.

That's why selwood is the one playing. That's not arrogant.

Brennan has been toweled up by small forwards a lot. Just gets outsmarted. But still young.

Do you now understand what went on? Your arrogance in check?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just out of curiosity how many times has Worsfold beaten Malthouse over the years ? Student definitely didn't overtake the master in this case.

Really? If you pay to actually take 2mins to actually learn afl, small forwards are defended by ensuring they don't get goal side of you. This happened to selwood because we turned the ball over as we were streaming forward. You can't do much about that.

difference between selwood and rest is that he doesn't allow his man goal side at stoppages. We have all seen ash smith fall asleep and his man turn him inside out. Selwood actually chased after his man and not just give up.

That's why selwood is the one playing. That's not arrogant.

Brennan has been toweled up by small forwards a lot. Just gets outsmarted. But still young.

Do you now understand what went on? Your arrogance in check?

Now your using a different stick to measure players. A.Selwood is a bad match up for Carlton's fleet footed brigade, but he does do his job shutting down average high half forwards most weeks.

Now your using a different stick to measure players. A.Selwood is a bad match up for Carlton's fleet footed brigade, but he does do his job shutting down average high half forwards most weeks.

Not really. he may be a bad matchup but he is best we have. He knows how to shut down strengths of other players. But when we turn the ball over in corridor, what's he meant to do? At least he was in same frame shot. Anyone else we have wouldn't have even been that.

I'm not saying we dont need someone better. But there is noone on list who is. I am tired of seeing ash smith doze off during a stoppage in forward line and small players just waltz past him.

well he was at least chasing all be it slowly. go back a few frames and spot the guys who elected not to chase. That to me is the real concern. Garlett made up 20 metres to shepherd yarran yet no eagles player got anywhere near to help selwood.

Exactly, its a shame Selwood was the one who gave chase, but there were a few others who could. I saw Cripps give it a go once, but Garlett shepparded him as well.

There were some limp moments for Selwood in that game (a moment in defensive 50 when injured Glass tried his heart out and A.Selwood just seemed to drop to his knees and lose the ball), but I wouldnt single him out just yet. There was a slight case of miscommunication out there I feel, it's a team thing.

I think Sam Butler is in the same boat as A Selwood right now.

Played well on Ballantyne in Rd1, but smashed twice in the last three weeks. Should be dropped and for someone at his stage of his career it'll probably be permanent. Don't hold your breath on our MC making that call.
To the selwood haters credit Ballantyne is not in good form. Cant blame Selwood for being told to stand Yarran but that doesnt mean he should be in the 22. Not good enough these days. Woosh sure is stubborn.

i love selwood because he gives everything he has got, puts his body on the line and is ballsy as ****. but at the end of the day he's just not quick enough to take on some of these quick forwards. in hurn we have one super slow bloke down there but because he's disposal is so good we can take that on. butler is the same, only not as slow but disposal not as good. selwood is just as slow as butler but has ordinary disposal.

Yep, everyone, including myself, had faith in our backline when the season started, but it has been shown up badly for its lack of pace / it was the midfield that was to be the problem / - well not so. Yes, we need a big-bodied agile ruck-rover type, but I think speed off half-back is critical these days as it's more and more a rebounding game. Not sure who can provide it for us. Would prefer Blayne Wilson in over Adam (was useful in his day)Selwood as Blayne is a good disposer of the ball - I think Adam Carter is the guy we need to come on quickly and become the Banfield type.

Remove this Banner Ad

Adam Selwood Sprint Star

Remove this Banner Ad

Back