Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Skip to 2024: Simpson coaching tenure officially ends

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was listening to the post game on 6PR and I'm pretty sure Simmo said he'll still be coaching unless he gets a tap on the shoulder. It's pretty much a game of chicken now and who'll blink first, Simmo or the club. What a waste of the rest of the year if this is gonna be the case.

You are just repeating the original accusation I was questioning. Langer has had a long time in the public eye in which time his character has been pretty thoroughly vetted. Saying he is defending his mate who doesn't deserve his job doesn't really align with what I have seen.

Again, other than last year when he was supposedly taking a position that most fans would have too.

So I'm asking is any of this based in fact or are you just adding 1+1 and getting -183747?

It’s been reported by multiple sources that langer is the one in his pocket and doesn’t want to give a coach the same treatment he got…. The differences couldn’t be more stark. Langer was a hard task master who was a winning coach… this bloke is now a loosing coach who picks his favourites at the expense of all else .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Was listening to the post game on 6PR and I'm pretty sure Simmo said he'll still be coaching unless he gets a tap on the shoulder. It's pretty much a game of chicken now and who'll blink first, Simmo or the club. What a waste of the rest of the year if this is gonna be the case.

I can understand Simpson's position but it really would be quite cowardly of the club to let this rot continue any longer. Everyone can see the inevitable now.

Do a gentleman's agreement to part ways asap and let's finally prioritise the future and youth/player development.

Why are the WC concerned about a payout? The profit goes to the AFL anyway doesn't it? Why was Buckley willing to stand down instead of being sacked at Collingwood? Did he receive a payout?

The tax is like double what you pay out, if we had if sacked him last year with two years to run we would have had to Pay Simpson 2 million for his last two years and 4 million for exceeding the soft cap.
As he is in year 2024 now we will only have to payout 2025 which is 1 million and 2 million tax.
Something like that anyway.
I agree that a club with the money we have should not worry about it but it would have been a poor look to throw away 4 million last year. Hence Adan is still our coach

Sumich mentioned the bloke who is in charge of the High Performance Program at the club as being another who should walk the plank - Gavin Bell. I had forgtten that name. But i agree with that. Lets make a change in that area aswell.
Having a High Performance Program at the club is akin to having marine biologists in the desert, let's be honest.

Keeping a side to 'just' a 10 goal win after ending the game by quarter time almost feels like a positive these days. It's enough to make you cry.

The tax is like double what you pay out, if we had if sacked him last year with two years to run we would have had to Pay Simpson 2 million for his last two years and 4 million for exceeding the soft cap.
As he is in year 2024 now we will only have to payout 2025 which is 1 million and 2 million tax.
I agree that a club with the money we have should not worry about it but it would have been a poor look to throw away 4 million last year. Hence Adan is still our coach

Crikey 2 million tax , sounds dodgy at best .

Should have Pyke coach 2025 and Simmo work behind the scenes in 2025 .

Simmo keeps saying “we’re coming from a long way back”. It begs the question why we’re coming from a long way back when he’s been at the helm for a decade.

Injuries are not an excuse, there are no more excuses. If we’re a long way back behind the competition, he’s responsible for that.
But it's everyone's fault but Adams apparently

I've officially turned. It's causing instability to keep him on.

I'm in the camp of sacking him immediately.. Players are looking around every week thinking why are we losing.

They are likely confused and unsure. In times of uncertainty you need an authority figure.

There's a time for being cuddly and nice to nuture players. But when you repeatedly punches in the face you need a fighter. Simmo is no fighter

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ashley Hansen could be a candidate .

Jarrad Schofield should stay as a senior assistant if the coach goes.

Simmo keeps saying “we’re coming from a long way back”. It begs the question why we’re coming from a long way back when he’s been at the helm for a decade.

Injuries are not an excuse, there are no more excuses. If we’re a long way back behind the competition, he’s responsible for that.
This is a joke, right?

We pushed on too far with our 2018 list and finally realised where our list was at after missing finals in 2021 (though the signs started to show in 2019 and 2020). We started the rebuild and were decimated with injuries the past two seasons. We played with state league players in 2022 and as few as two AFL-listed players at times in the WAFL last year. This is the first year we have had close to our best 22 on the field since 2021.

Why does everyone keeps expecting this magic bullet to make us better? Go and look at Hawthorn's 2013-2015 teams or Richmond's 2017-2020 teams and you might get an idea of how long it will take for things to turn around. We're starting from a point lower than where each of those teams started.

Ashley Hansen would be the worst appointment.

He's CV is so poor. Hes never been a winner.
He never won a flag and the side he assistant coaches (Carlton) are not a winner club. Cox has a better CV.

You need a coach who has tasted success. No offence but what part of Ashley Hansen career spells a winner? As a player or coach?
Err, what?

He's been more successful than Cox, in a coaching capacity.

Won the same amount of flags as Cox.
Coached his own side to a VFL premiership.
Our most 'winningest' player during his time.
Carlton have massively turned the corner since his appointment.

What's Cox done compared to him? Been an assistant in losing GF teams?

Before today, I was onboard with letting Simmo play out the rest of the season, but now I see the error in that thought, there's no point persisting if the decision is already made. Pull the bandaid off.

Put in a caretaker to watch over the group for the rest of the year and get a head start on finding the next head coach. No more credits for Simmo's favourites, put the playing group on notice that their job is on the line.

He never won a flag and the side he assistant coaches (Carlton) are not a winner club. Cox has a better CV.

You need a coach who has tasted success. No offence but what part of Ashley Hansen career spells a winner? As a player or coach?

Communication skills are excellent, was my basis for consideration and a past player maybe Luke Shuey gets more involvement too if possible .
Long shot , not many experienced candidates available .

Who gives a ****? WC is not a stock exchange listed business!

Err, what?

He's been more successful than Cox, in a coaching capacity.

Won the same amount of flags as Cox.
Coached his own side to a VFL premiership.
Our most 'winningest' player during his time.
Carlton have massively turned the corner since his appointment.

What's Cox done compared to him? Been an assistant in losing GF teams?
My apologises just read Hansen CV you are right.

Forgot his 2006 flag and coached a VFL team to a flag. And was apart wb flag.

The thing that clouded my judgement was Hansen current coaching the failure of a club carlton

🤣🤣🤣

This is a joke, right?

We pushed on too far with our 2018 list and finally realised where our list was at after missing finals in 2021 (though the signs started to show in 2019 and 2020). We started the rebuild and were decimated with injuries the past two seasons. We played with state league players in 2022 and as few as two AFL-listed players at times in the WAFL last year. This is the first year we have had close to our best 22 on the field since 2021.

Why does everyone keeps expecting this magic bullet to make us better? Go and look at Hawthorn's 2013-2015 teams or Richmond's 2017-2020 teams and you might get an idea of how long it will take for things to turn around. We're starting from a point lower than where each of those teams started.
No, it’s not a joke. This season we’ve been putting very experienced teams on the park regularly. Using COVID or injuries in 2021-2023 as an excuse is nothing but a copout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back