Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Skip to 2024: Simpson coaching tenure officially ends

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barrass understandably sick of bailing out the team time and time again.

I really hope we eventually learn more about what happened over these last few years.

How on earth did we fail to extract just basic competitiveness out of a heap of premiership players, along with a Brownlow runner up and some fresh first rounders added to the mix?

What happened?

It was 18 beers in the first 18 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

the casual fans walking up the stairs at QT

70PcR5.gif

He was so close to turning this around. That patch where we were super competitive and won three games got me thinking you ****ing did it! There was evidence of a simple yet effective game plan in place and the players looked as if they had bought into it.

I don't know why, but all of a sudde. the return of credits crew and the same old boring style of play that hasn't worked for 3 years began creeping back into our style of play and lo and behold here we are.

I was so badly wanting simmo to turn it around. So dam badly. 😕
It's funny, as a whole this year has been miles better than last year. The players seemed to tire, but I think there have been good signs, mostly early on in the season though.

3 weeks ago the performance against Essendon away from home was actually half decent without Kelly and Reid in the team, Oscar's first game back, things seemed ok.

This week there was talk in the presser before the sacking came out about trying new things for the back half of the season, so I was actually excited to see if this would have improved team performance and what changes he was going to make. I guess we'll never know now.

Any improved performance from here on if they are due to positional changes could have already been in the works and could very well have been his idea which would surely cut him deep, but then he'd also be kicking himself for not trying them earlier (big hypothetical anyway).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's funny, as a whole this year has been miles better than last year. The players seemed to tire, but I think there have been good signs, mostly early on in the season though.

3 weeks ago the performance against Essendon away from home was actually half decent without Kelly and Reid in the team, Oscar's first game back, things seemed ok.

This week there was talk in the presser before the sacking came out about trying new things for the back half of the season, so I was actually excited to see if this would have improved team performance and what changes he was going to make. I guess we'll never know now.

Any improved performance from here on if they are due to positional changes could have already been in the works and could very well have been his idea which would surely cut him deep, but then he'd also be kicking himself for not trying them earlier (big hypothetical anyway).

I think a sect of the players might've just had enough. The full momentum started after the story about the player texts came out.

And re: the Bailey Williams thing, he's in a no win situation whatever he said. He could say what he said on Talking Footy and people be like yeah yeah right and not believe him or he goes the with what people reckon he said and it makes an even more awkward situation on Sunday when he's around the players again for the final time.

Whatever, it is what it is, Simmo's always had a weird sense of humor, anyone remember when he was still playing at North and him and Daniel Pratt got in trouble messing around with a rubber chicken with a condom over its head? A real loose unit :tearsofjoy:

This is the video for people without an idea

And re: the Bailey Williams thing, he's in a no win situation whatever he said. He could say what he said on Talking Footy and people be like yeah yeah right and not believe him or he goes the with what people reckon he said and it makes an even more awkward situation on Sunday when he's around the players again for the final time.
I think it's a massive refection on him as a leader - using humour to try and make his guys feel a bit more comfortable knowing he's the one getting the chop.

I'm a bit sick of people looking for sinister things where there are none, and dancing on people's graves.

I love Simmo, I did from day 1 and I still do now. Was it time to go? Yes. Was it handled perfectly? No. Did both club and fired coach maintain mutual respect? 100%. That's the best you can do in my book.

From what I have heard the senior player mentioned was Snake. Makes sense given the fact he has often been on the fringe of Simmo’s selection until this year, coupled with last year’s health scare and how it was handled internally.
I reckon we stop guessing - I've heard at least 10 player's names now.

The thing about Bailey is perplexing. He was on SEN a few hours earlier yesterday morning sticking up for Simmo, saying how the team performances are all the players fault. Was asked about the text messages etc. and said it was a bit shocking and he hadn't known anything about it before it was reported.

The thing about Bailey is perplexing. He was on SEN a few hours earlier yesterday morning sticking up for Simmo, saying how the team performances are all the players fault.

There's nothing in it. Time to let it go.

Just watched Simmo on talking footy

Such a class act

It’s a little thing, but what I liked most was him still referring to West Coast as we/us/our players etc

Didn’t seem bitter in the slightest and whilst he maintained he was up for the fight of a rebuild I did get the sense he was a touch relieved that he no longer has to be

Glad Simmo knocked back coaching this weekend, what is the point in it.

He will apparantly be at the game so the fans can acknowledge his contribution which has been significant which is the right way to do it.

He deserves the thanks.
Yes, although it may have been well intended, I think the offer of coaching a last game was kind of insulting or patronising.

We’ve given you the sack but how about a packet of twisties before you finish.

This was like Langer who when he was sacked was offered a few months to still be in charge.

Langer, like Simpson, rightly declined.

Yes, although it may have been well intended, I think the offer of coaching a last game was kind of insulting or patronising.

We’ve given you the sack but how about a packet of twisties before you finish.

This was like Langer who when he was sacked was offered a few months to still be in charge.

Langer, like Simpson, rightly declined.

Look I think it’s just how you choose to look at it.

If the club were asked at the press conference ‘would you like Adam to coach a farewell game?’ and Pyke says ‘No we wouldn’t ask Adam to do that’ then the headline is ‘EAGLES SHUN SIMPSON FAREWELL’

Instead they offered, he declined. It’s really not that big a deal and it would have come from the right place.

This isn’t Mark Harvey getting knifed for Ross Lyon here - it’s a tough time for those on the inside and everyone will be sad or at the very least sentimental to see Simpson move on.

Don Pyke has been there himself, he’s not an idiot.

Barrass understandably sick of bailing out the team time and time again.

I really hope we eventually learn more about what happened over these last few years.

How on earth did we fail to extract just basic competitiveness out of a heap of premiership players, along with a Brownlow runner up and some fresh first rounders added to the mix?

What happened?

Round 13 2021 Brah.

You go ahead and tell me how it could all go so bad from this point. We were top 4.

Won 2 of the next 9 games, finishing the season as the worst performing team in the AFL post bye. So disappointing.

"Bounced back" the following season in 2022 by winning 2 games and having 21 losses for the year. Let that sink in :eek:

Fronted up in 2023 with a 3 win, 21 loss season. Total basket case at this point and labelled worst team of all time.

Rolled that into 2024 and we've got 3 wins, 13 losses and we've just sacked out long term coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back