Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Skip to 2024: Simpson coaching tenure officially ends

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Truthfully I would love to pick the brain of the coaches/ S&C team about what they were doing with Nic at the time.

Blind Freddy could see that he was way too heavy for a guy with blown knees - it was like they were trying to turn him into a "bash n crash" ruck when that was never his style?

What was the plan there?

Tail wagging the dog I think unfortunately.

Strawman me all you like, but I still don't think sacking Simpson would have improved things one bit, we'd have just burnt whichever poor bastard ended up with the job. If Simpson is happy to endure the current thankless task then all power to him.

We've had good and bad patches this season, and you get that with a developing team, just like this thread goes from very quiet to very active from week to week

But it not thankless, unless of course you ignore the just under 1 million thanks for comings.

But it not thankless, unless of course you ignore the just under 1 million thanks for comings.
I wondered whether I should clarify that of course he gets paid but I what mean is he's going to cop a hiding from everyone and he'll have to front up every week and be the face of the club after inevitable thrashings and poor performances that you get from a developing team, but again I thought that went without saying but I was clearly wrong and I should have spelt it out.

I wondered whether I should clarify that of course he gets paid but I what mean is he's going to cop a hiding from everyone and he'll have to front up every week and be the face of the club after inevitable thrashings and poor performances that you get from a developing team, but again I thought that went without saying but I was clearly wrong and I should have spelt it out.

He’s also getting paid that money even if they sack him.

When is this coach finally getting stood down. He's lost the energy. He's getting paid more than the prime minister. Let another coach have a go
Contracted until end of 2025. Might be 'let go' and paid out end of this season.
More important than being rid of the old coach, is getting a new coach, a good coach, a better coach, the right coach? Who is he?

I think we are getting into semantics. Clearly Hawthorn is playing a better more consistent brand of footy with a younger list.

The real question is that because Mitchell is genius, or is it because Simmo is hopeless or is it because Hawthorn has had more time to build cohesion in their brand compared to us due to our horrific run of injuries in 2022 and 23?

Personally I think option 3 with a splash of Mitchell seems a genius. Reason being when we play well we look a million bucks and think we just need more time to build that consistency and for our young players to build confidence. Look at Hough after pumping a lot of games in those first couple of years looks really confident now.

It doesn't matter why or how Hawthorn are playing as they are, the reality is that now that they have found a place where they can play well they turn up every week without excuse and they try their butts off to win and play a brand that will take them into the future.

We on the other hand have had some terrific performances this year, ones that get you excited but just 7 days later we are back to where we started. And we are the ones with deep experienced players in our squad in large numbers.
Those experienced players in our group I believe are still calling the shots, they are still deciding when they want to play well and when they don't. And because they still have their old coach with them who has never called them out for their inconsistency things just keep going round in circles.

A new coach comes in and says I don't care what your name is, I don't care how many all australians you may have, how many Best and fairests you might of won, I don't care what the previous coach put in place to make you feel so warm and cuddly.
These are the new rules, these are the non negotiables moving forward. There is no variance to these just because you have been here a long time. We need to be all in this together and everything we do we do together to achieve a common goal.
There is no days off, there is no special treatment.

Simmo cannot do this as a group as he is part of the problem. Only a new voice, a new message, a new outlook can do this.

Contracted until end of 2025. Might be 'let go' and paid out end of this season.
More important than being rid of the old coach, is getting a new coach, a good coach, a better coach, the right coach? Who is he?

The bar unfortunately has been set pretty low the last 5 years.
What is a better coach? What is a good coach?

The right coach is one who wants to grow with the group.

It doesn't matter why or how Hawthorn are playing as they are, the reality is that now that they have found a place where they can play well they turn up every week without excuse and they try their butts off to win and play a brand that will take them into the future.

Just repeating that doesn’t make it true.

What is not true?

That Hawthorn have turned up every week without excuse.

They’ve had three losses by more than 50 points. After five games they were 0-5 with a percentage under 70 and only ahead of North.

I set all this out last night. But here we are this morning seeing the exact same “Hawthorn never fail to turn up” line again.

That Hawthorn have turned up every week without excuse.

They’ve had three losses by more than 50 points. After five games they were 0-5 with a percentage under 70 and only ahead of North.

I set all this out last night. But here we are this morning seeing the exact same “Hawthorn never fail to turn up” line again.

Read my post where I said now that they have found the place that they can play well.

Read my post where I said now that they have found the place that they can play well.

They’ve had a good run of games and it’s longer than anything we’ve put together lately, I’ll concede that.

Let’s see how long it lasts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harley reid has saved simpson from being sacked in the early stages of the season. As much as simpson declares it's the older players, aka the players with credits in the bank, it's been reid.

Simpson cares more about his hungry jacks franchises and his war against Mitchell Woodcock. There's a reason most coaches don't last a rebuild and wce are no trend setter anymore.

Do you concede they are not as up and down as we are?
They have been rebuilding longer than us, there younger players have more experience together, of course they are a little more consistent than us. That's not because of some Mitchell genius or Simpson hoplessness, it just comes with being six years into a rebuild.

They have been rebuilding longer than us, there younger players have more experience together, of course they are a little more consistent than us. That's not because of some Mitchell genius or Simpson hoplessness, it just comes with being six years into a rebuild.
Exactly and Younger players taper off the longer the season goes. Look at the Sun's for example in the early years who used to.play well at the start of every season then crash.

And what excuse do you use for our senior players that play well one week and don't show up the next week?
And the Hawks are maybe year two of a rebuild, where did you get 6 years from?

When is this coach finally getting stood down. He's lost the energy. He's getting paid more than the prime minister. Let another coach have a go

Harley reid has saved simpson from being sacked in the early stages of the season. As much as simpson declares it's the older players, aka the players with credits in the bank, it's been reid.

Simpson cares more about his hungry jacks franchises and his war against Mitchell Woodcock. There's a reason most coaches don't last a rebuild and wce are no trend setter anymore.

Three!! posts today in this thread today. Aren’t we blessed with such riveting insight ☺️

Hawthorn 5
Geelong 4
West Coast 4
Richmond 3
Brisbane 3
North 2
Adelaide 2
Essington 2
Sydney 2
Carlton 1
Port 1
WBD 1
Melbourne 1

I'd say we get it right more often than most in the AFL

Great argument. Sydney are probably the best run club in the land right now and we've got double the cups that they do. Why are people so caught up with success when we could easily just take our time here? How ungrateful are you lot, probably got another 10 years at least until that record even begins to look shaky. I don't know who needs to hear this but some of the best games we've ever played are up on YouTube right now, and they're free to watch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back