Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Skip to 2024: Simpson coaching tenure officially ends

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
aaron edwards for head coach

he needs persisting with

Wat.

Just how long is iT'S nOt LiKe He'S tHe OnE oN fIeLd excuses going to be rolled out for him? Been legit hearing them since 2020.

First it's covid, even though every other club dealt with that as well.
Then it's hubs.
Then it's injuries to Yeo, Kelly, Shuey, Nicnat and THAT'S the reason we've underacheived.
Then it's injuries again.
Then the game plan can't work because it only works with key personnel.
Then it's the stand rule, that's messed everything up and our kick mark game plan doesn't work anymore.
Now the new game plan won't work because we're rebuilding and have a young list that can't be motivated.
Oh wait, the injuries are back again, 4 years later.

Coaches deal with injuries to personnel and blooding youth all the time, it's stock standard adversity in an AFL season. No coach has ever survived the absolute train wreck Simpson has led us through for the past few years. Record after record after record, shitting on 30+ years of club hisotry. If he can't get the players up and about (such is his job) he's out the door, simple as that. You don't just keep looking for any reason you can to back him in again.

Last year he dodged the final bullet courtesy of 2 years remaining on his contract, this year he can't hide behind that anymore, and we're still sitting with 3 wins and 10 losses.

At what point do the excuses run out for him? When his contract ends? So end of 2025?
Strawman me all you like, but I still don't think sacking Simpson would have improved things one bit, we'd have just burnt whichever poor bastard ended up with the job. If Simpson is happy to endure the current thankless task then all power to him.

We've had good and bad patches this season, and you get that with a developing team, just like this thread goes from very quiet to very active from week to week

Yep with ya, another 3 year contract, lets get it done.
Okay I see, you think we either have to sack him right now or give him a 3 year contract. Well I have an idea that will blow your mind ...

If only premierships were handed out between seasons, otherwise those dates seem... arbitrary.

This neither pro-Simmo or anti-Voss. But I always enjoy (of find comical) these type of arbitrary choices of records. You basically start the tally for either the last win or loss before the opposite occurred to make the total look far better. Forget about how good or bad they were immediately prior to this chosen date.

This neither pro-Simmo or anti-Voss. But I always enjoy (of find comical) these type of arbitrary choices of records. You basically start the tally for either the last win or loss before the opposite occurred to make the total look far better. Forget about how good or bad they were immediately prior to this chosen date.
And we would have to go back to the start of 2018 to get this close to an even ledger.

Not bad hey...

Sorry Dark Sharks, you forgot to mention all the assistant coaches that got moved on cos they were no good and the fitness coaches that weren’t doing their jobs properly.
And it was tim gepp in the box limiting what he could do and Trevor Nisbett for being there too long.

So many excuses it's incredible. He's the jelly man.

Strawman me all you like, but I still don't think sacking Simpson would have improved things one bit, we'd have just burnt whichever poor bastard ended up with the job. If Simpson is happy to endure the current thankless task then all power to him.

We've had good and bad patches this season, and you get that with a developing team, just like this thread goes from very quiet to very active from week to week

Where is this developing team thing coming from?? The team has experienced, old players on every line…. Simpson keeps sprouting about learnings from each game. Please explain what gaff, darling and sheed are learning? How to be traffic cops when the traffic lights are off by learning how to point.
Is Petch improving into a constant 4 quester performer?

Simpson really needs to be taken to task when he just talks garbage.
If he wants to play all his credit mates fine, but how come hawthorn players can put in maximum effort each week whilst our guys pick and choose which week they want to play.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where is this developing team thing coming from?? The team has experienced, old players on every line…. Simpson keeps sprouting about learnings from each game. Please explain what gaff, darling and sheed are learning? How to be traffic cops when the traffic lights are off by learning how to point.

If he wants to play all his credit mates fine, but how come hawthorn players can put in maximum effort each week whilst our guys pick and choose which week they want to play.

Yeah I’d say Kelly, Yeo, Sheed, Gaff, Hunt, Barrass, Duggan, McGovern, Cripps, Ryan, Darling are reasonably well developed, that’s more than half the team, I’m not sure how much development they’ve got left😂

Hawthorn are in a good run of form currently but they’ve also had a few games this year when they didn’t show up. Six weeks ago they lost by 76 points to Sydney at home, at that stage they were second last with a percentage under 70.

Hawthorn are in a good run of form currently but they’ve also had a few games this year when they didn’t show up. Six weeks ago they lost by 76 points to Sydney at home, at that stage they were second last with a percentage under 70.
Ya mean top of the table Sydney with a percentage of 150?

Ya mean top of the table Sydney with a percentage of 150?

The claim was “Hawthorn players put in maximum effort every week”.

So either they put in maximum effort against Sydney and lost by 13 goals, which seems unlikely given the scalps they’ve taken since then, or the claim was bogus.

Capiche?

The claim was “Hawthorn players put in maximum effort every week”.

So either they put in maximum effort against Sydney and lost by 13 goals, which seems unlikely given the scalps they’ve taken since then, or the claim was bogus.

Capiche?
Sydney also beat Carlton by 52 and Freo by 40 odd, over that same 3 game stretch.
Carlton and Freo, gave it their all, just beaten by a team a the top of their game.
So what’s your point?

Capiche?

Sydney also beat Carlton by 52 and Freo by 40 odd, over that same 3 game stretch.
Carlton and Freo, gave it their all, just beaten by a team a the top of their game.
So what’s your point?

Capiche?

Ok, how about their other +50 point losses - 55 points to Melbourne and 53 points to Gold Coast. Still giving their all in those games?

The team as a whole is developing, as in the team is not very good at the moment but the team will improve, and has indeed shown improvement this season. I was not referring to each individual player developing, because that would not make sense, because as you say some have had long careers and have long since developed.

I am sorry for assuming that all that was obvious from the context and would not require explanation.

We got stung with a series of unfortunate events during 2019 onwards.
Rioli pre elimination final getting suspended due to drugs in his system, for multiple years.
Natinui doing two knees (comes back +100 kilos, horrible player management) barely plays consecutive games.
Ryan, two consecutive hamstrings, multiple years.
Schuey (best stoppage player) couldnt string together more than two games for multiple years.
Yeo (another midfield pillar) couldnt string together games for years (in his prime)
Oscar Allen, absolute Lego man.
Cripps out for a long time.
McGovern out a long time than out of form.

These players all without an argument in our top 10, and absolute pillars for any chance at a successful season. We got absolutely shat on with poor player management and luck in our golden time period.

And I'm sure I missed many more, our injury list was worse and for longer than Richmond's current list.

We are no where near that level of injuries now, so the eye is on the last remaining factor

Ok, how about their other +50 point losses - 55 points to Melbourne and 53 points to Gold Coast. Still giving their all in those games?
I think we are getting into semantics. Clearly Hawthorn is playing a better more consistent brand of footy with a younger list.

The real question is that because Mitchell is genius, or is it because Simmo is hopeless or is it because Hawthorn has had more time to build cohesion in their brand compared to us due to our horrific run of injuries in 2022 and 23?

Personally I think option 3 with a splash of Mitchell seems a genius. Reason being when we play well we look a million bucks and think we just need more time to build that consistency and for our young players to build confidence. Look at Hough after pumping a lot of games in those first couple of years looks really confident now.

Natinui doing two knees (comes back +100 kilos, horrible player management) barely plays consecutive games.
Truthfully I would love to pick the brain of the coaches/ S&C team about what they were doing with Nic at the time.

Blind Freddy could see that he was way too heavy for a guy with blown knees - it was like they were trying to turn him into a "bash n crash" ruck when that was never his style?

What was the plan there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back