Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Skip to 2024: Simpson coaching tenure officially ends

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m sure you don’t believe that people “don’t care” if he stays or goes. Surely not.
At this point I'm not fussed who is coach tbh but I understand it makes sense to keep him on .

A new coach would be on a hiding to nothing

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Needs.to.learn.to.not.attack

That's exactly what he doesn't need to learn.
Sick and tired of simmo trying to curb the natural of instincts of footballers for his slow, tired kick backwards game plan.
Thats not it at all LMAO
30 seconds left, they were yelling it at Maric from the bench. You wait 10-15 seconds then go long into 50. Going straight away gives the bombers an opportunity to rebound if they intercept or turn it over

+9 clearances
+2 inside 50s
+6 tackles inside 50

Left some goals out there with our kicking, tightened things right up after half time to force Essendon to go waaay slower.

Pretty normal game between a top four aspirant vs bottom four (bottom two?) away from home. Few good silver linings with Ryan’s midfield minutes, I liked that Brockman had WAFL midfield minutes that translated into a few cracks on ball.

Perfectly normal game and result, zero to melt about this week surely. (Don’t answer that).

Simmo: Sheed has been signed off to play next week

yipee

A question: is Culley like for like with Sheed? He’s certainly not slower, he’s relatively untried, is more physical, and both are reasonable kicks. (Admittedly, his pointing needs work!)

So for mine there’s more upside playing Culley than Sheed (if Simmo wants a Sheed like player). It may be Culley doesn’t make it but we may as well give him games to find out.

Or … don’t play Sheed either.

Given Hewett and Bazzo will probably come back then we need to create extra positions in the remaining games to try out a few players. I reckon we won’t be good enough to be a finals side with guys like Witherden, Rotham, Sheed, Gaff, probably Petro - unless he plays at his best every week. (And it seems like we’ve drawn a line through LEd and Trew.)

Some of those guys might be ‘okay’, or even quite good occasionally, but for the last games we need to be moving on to the next generation. I don’t admit to being an expert but I’m guessing guys like Brockman, Dewar, Hall, Culley, Burgiel, Hutch …

Last edited:
A question: is Culley like for like with Sheed? He’s certainly not slower, he’s relatively untried, is more physical, and both are reasonable kicks. (Admittedly, his pointing needs work!)

So for mine there’s more upside playing Culley than Sheed (if Simmo wants a Sheed like player). It maybe Culley doesn’t make it but we may as well give him games to find out.

Or … don’t play Sheed either.
Yeah ideally neither are in our best 23. We can do better like we saw today

+9 clearances
+2 inside 50s
+6 tackles inside 50

Left some goals out there with our kicking, tightened things right up after half time to force Essendon to go waaay slower.

Pretty normal game between a top four aspirant vs bottom four (bottom two?) away from home. Few good silver linings with Ryan’s midfield minutes, I liked that Brockman had WAFL midfield minutes that translated into a few cracks on ball.

Perfectly normal game and result, zero to melt about this week surely. (Don’t answer that).

Still have plenty of justified residual melts from the St Kilda and Norf games to last the rest of the year.

Bit quiet in here. We lost today. What gives?

Poor team selection and needed to sub a tall/Jones earlier.

But sure, I guess he gets a pass because we weren't absolutely belted. :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whilst I agree with many that we were too tall in the forwardline, it's important to consider who we had available in the WAFL to not have so many tall forwards playing.

End result - Nobody.

Could've played Trew there again, but everyone would just complain he's being played out of position.

Could've brought him in to play mid but then people said they wanted to see Ryan mid again(which we did) and Brockman looked good in there also.

Culley travelled as an emergency and could've come in for a tall, except he's 194cm himself and people reckon he's too slow.

Long's injured.

Hall not ready(only 15 possessions in the WAFL himself this weekend).

JWilliams could've played instead of BWilliams, but that's just shuffling chairs on the Titanic.

Could've started Hutchinson instead of a tall, but who comes out? Don't really want a tall as sub either.

Rawlinson not really up to it yet.

So whilst our availability is quite good, this game probably really highlights the fact that we seemingly have at least 2 talls too many in the squad currently(although this will obviously change with the retirements of Gov & Darling).

Reid and Kelly returning will do a lot to fix this issue and it likely wouldn't have been as pronounced if Guelfi didn't destroy Long's knee trying to take his head off.

Actually, I suppose Dewar could've played, he did slip my mind.

From Simpson's presser during the week, it seemed like having that tall forwardline was something they simply wanted to try, although he did somewhat come off iffy on it. I mean, kick straight and we could've won. The issue was the ball obviously left the F50 far too easily, with all those lumbering talls.

Yeah 13 shots from the 3 main big guys you'd take.

They kick 10.3 instead of 7.6 things are very interesting late.

Simmo just said the connection between mid and fwd wasn't quite right so for them to get 13 shots was a good effort.

This game was a tick in the keep column joining the 3 wins and arguably the losses to Sydney (26 points) and Essendon home game (6 points)

Against that the losses to Port, GWS, Bulldogs, Collingwood, Adelaide and North are all crosses

The losses to GWS and St Kilda weren’t good enough to get a tick nor bad enough for a cross

So 6 good, 6 bad and 2 indifferent

Needs more ticks than crosses to finish the season to be able to make a case to be retained

A few Simmo thoughts while I have some time to write them up while I'm home with the spicy cough...

It is clear that he is wanting to play a faster slingshot style - win the ball early, get it in and lock it in - the Collingwood, Richmond, GWS style. It is also clear that he doesn't 100% know how to get there, and his background (Clarko) and his assistant's backgrounds (Geelong, Port) aren't necessarily the best known for that style either. Doesn't mean that we can't get there, but might mean we need to experiment a bit to see what works and what doesn't.

He has shown a willingness to change things up within games and will stick to things that work. Our clearance work this year is as good as I've seen it under Simmo - we seem to be holding our width better and looking for that clean post-clearance first possession, which I think is the most under-rated stat in footy. Ever since the Judd/Cousins/Kerr years, we have been a hack it forward from the stoppage team (Natanui to Shuey notwithstanding), so there is a bit of 'corporate deprogramming' needed. Early in the season, we were still collapsing on the contest, giving the easy clear possession to our opponents. That has definitely improved.

He has said repeatedly that they aren't doing a lot of work on ball movement yet, he is trying to build it up layer by layer. Spoke a lot about mid-forward connection last week. I would like to see this really start to improve in the back end of the season. They are professional full-time athletes - they can think about more than one thing at a time. Our ball movement just seems really disjointed, but I have seen a lot of teams like this turn it around pretty quickly. Hawthorn is a good example - they have started to lay ball movement and running patterns over the basics and are starting to look really exciting.

I reckon the emphasis on keeping it simple means there is a directive to go long to the contest. Hopefully players start looking to lower their eyes and hit up some shorter passes. That said, we need to actually present those leads - this is the issue I would be focusing on right now until the end of the year. Our wingers need to be pushing into the holes and picking up another ten or so easy touches. At the moment they are doing a lot of unrewarded running because they are not actually demanding the ball or giving an option.

The club will know what they want to see in the back end before they decide whether it is worth replacing Simmo. Personally, I would say no more blowouts, maintaining the percentage around where it is and maybe pinching another couple of wins will be a pass. If I'm Don Pyke, I am also doing a pretty deep dive into the players and assistants' thoughts - many private conversations to be had. Unfortunately for Simmo, anything less than knocking on the door of finals (8 - 10 wins) regardless of injuries/excuses wouldn't be enough to save him next year, but think that can be handled gracefully and respectfully if everyone is honest about where we are going. On the other hand, if the wheels fall off over the end of this season, I think we would be pretty comfortable in ending it now.

A few Simmo thoughts while I have some time to write them up while I'm home with the spicy cough...

It is clear that he is wanting to play a faster slingshot style - win the ball early, get it in and lock it in - the Collingwood, Richmond, GWS style. It is also clear that he doesn't 100% know how to get there, and his background (Clarko) and his assistant's backgrounds (Geelong, Port) aren't necessarily the best known for that style either. Doesn't mean that we can't get there, but might mean we need to experiment a bit to see what works and what doesn't.

He has shown a willingness to change things up within games and will stick to things that work. Our clearance work this year is as good as I've seen it under Simmo - we seem to be holding our width better and looking for that clean post-clearance first possession, which I think is the most under-rated stat in footy. Ever since the Judd/Cousins/Kerr years, we have been a hack it forward from the stoppage team (Natanui to Shuey notwithstanding), so there is a bit of 'corporate deprogramming' needed. Early in the season, we were still collapsing on the contest, giving the easy clear possession to our opponents. That has definitely improved.

He has said repeatedly that they aren't doing a lot of work on ball movement yet, he is trying to build it up layer by layer. Spoke a lot about mid-forward connection last week. I would like to see this really start to improve in the back end of the season. They are professional full-time athletes - they can think about more than one thing at a time. Our ball movement just seems really disjointed, but I have seen a lot of teams like this turn it around pretty quickly. Hawthorn is a good example - they have started to lay ball movement and running patterns over the basics and are starting to look really exciting.

I reckon the emphasis on keeping it simple means there is a directive to go long to the contest. Hopefully players start looking to lower their eyes and hit up some shorter passes. That said, we need to actually present those leads - this is the issue I would be focusing on right now until the end of the year. Our wingers need to be pushing into the holes and picking up another ten or so easy touches. At the moment they are doing a lot of unrewarded running because they are not actually demanding the ball or giving an option.

The club will know what they want to see in the back end before they decide whether it is worth replacing Simmo. Personally, I would say no more blowouts, maintaining the percentage around where it is and maybe pinching another couple of wins will be a pass. If I'm Don Pyke, I am also doing a pretty deep dive into the players and assistants' thoughts - many private conversations to be had. Unfortunately for Simmo, anything less than knocking on the door of finals (8 - 10 wins) regardless of injuries/excuses wouldn't be enough to save him next year, but think that can be handled gracefully and respectfully if everyone is honest about where we are going. On the other hand, if the wheels fall off over the end of this season, I think we would be pretty comfortable in ending it now.

I think you need to up your average of 1 post per year since joining especially for someone calling himself Rowdy (is that after that well known Scotsman, Rowdy Roddy Piper?)

1269233.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back