Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Skip to 2024: Simpson coaching tenure officially ends

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. I feel like Pyke would see Enright more of a risk compared to a Buckley (who has coached at the highest level) and Cox (who’s currently senior-assisting the best team in the comp).

Plus, there’s a bit of romance imbedded in the idea of bringing back a premiership eagle to head-up the team. It’s worked before, right?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Just need to go through the coaching hiring process to determine best candidate.

I've felt let down as a fan ever since our amazing win over Freo.
We were 2 in a row and on the march. Confidence up. Midfield contesting including a really positive relationship between Yeo and the kid Reid. Forward line firing thanks mostly to Waterman.
Hunt setting us up from half back. Hough holding out and nullifying oppo key forwards. Barrass starting to take grabs on the back line. McGovern patrolling for intercepts. Even the turnover kings of Witho, Duggo, etc. looked better than usual. And a big statement with Gaff omitted. I could go on.
The following week the club omits Harley Reid who in my mind was the catalyst the fans and players were needing to inspire a change in mindset. Everyone agrees no team should rely on one player. However I think pizza is very average without the cheese.
I believe winning the Harley Reid draft gave us all, especially the players some belief which is the most important factor in sport and life itself. That belief was sucked away in an instant by the egotistical ideology of the coach and committee. Harley wanted to play that game. He was best on for the Freo game prior yet we were told his 'markers' were trending down. Personally I was back feeling bummed out about our chances.
So we lose badly to the Suns but we're still holding hope.
Then Harley Reid returns for the Essondon game and he's a little off but comes good and we lose by a kick but the damage is done. The belief is in doubt and we've lost the spark again. Collingwood demolish us the following week.
The Melbourne game is a huge flicker of hope but then Harley Reid is out again the following week against Adelaide after frustration gets the better of him and he buries a player and is suspended.
Although I want to blame the kid for a stupid act I can't shake the feeling that he's been sabotaged by the clubs management of him.
Since then it's been quite miserable. The recent Essendon game was ok but we were never a chance really. I'd just liked to have seen us grab the bull by the horns back when we were shining and throw everything at the season. At least to be able to say we had a crack.
Thanks for reading

Some of the shit he's been saying this season is unbelievable.

Is this the definition of"Gentle Coaching " or what?

I'd have been out there at qtr time 🤬🤬🤬! To the whole group. Sometimes you do need to bake the shit out of the players!

Tony Micale still gave the best quarter time speech I’ve ever heard when swan districts kicked 8 goals to East Perths none in a game a Leederville … he came down from the box, got the huddle together and just yelled soft f-in soft then turned around and left…. It was 9 goals to 8 in east Perth’s favour at half time.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I've heard at least 3 or 4 different coaches locked in for Tassie...

Bucks
Hardwick
Clarko
Hinkley
Scott bros
even Simmo

Are Tassie even 100% getting a side yet? Wasn't it dependent on that Stadium?

Anyway

would love Bucks... or Suma... or Choco

Read the riot act

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Because he doesn't drop players for unacceptable work rate, no matter who they are. It should have happened years ago but he was so fixated on winning a game here or there the culture has infiltrated into the whole club where it's not about current performance, it's about what you have done in the past and what your name is. In 2023 and 2022 why weren't players dropped for lack of effort? Who cares if a spud comes in to replace them, the team is likely going to lose anyway so make a statement.
I don't think we've had a coach do that since Malthouse anyway. Worsfold wasn't any better either.

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Put it this way…in 2018 & 2019 I was absolutely eating up the fact that Freo kept standing by Ross Lyon, I just kept hoping they’d never get rid of him. I was gutted when they finally made the (right) call to axe him, because that was the day that I realised the fun was over.

Now the roles are well & truly reversed. To quote Bruce Buffer…

Mixed Martial Arts Sport GIF by UFC

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Put it this way…in 2018 & 2019 I was absolutely eating up the fact that Freo kept standing by Ross Lyon, I just kept hoping they’d never get rid of him. I was gutted when they finally made the (right) call to axe him, because that was the day that I realised the fun was over.

Yeah it is isn't it ...we just jeep flogging a dead horse and keep getting the same result ...what is it now 60 odd losses 8 wins or something ....it's just become a culture of losing and putting up with lack of effort . I can't see Simmo turning this around we are just the easy beats of the AFL...put a bit of pressure on and we crumble...and I hate it

Yep, I was the exact same way. Because you knew that Ross had nothing left to give at Freo and by staying on he was going to continue to mire them in sh*t. The day he left was when I too realised that the Purps had decided to turn a corner.

Now it's our turn. Simmo has nothing left to give at West Coast and we're going to keep wading through the sh*t until we get rid of him. Pay him out, weather the cost, bring in a replacement. ANY replacement. Even if they're also sh*t, they almost can't do any worse than Simmo has for the last 3 years.

Craig McRae showed up how shit bucks was. The guy took the Pies straight to a prelim - while Bucks had been floundering around for a decade.
lol Bucks would be a premiership coach if Sheed wasn't a dead eye

also made a prelim the next year

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Some of the shit he's been saying this season is unbelievable.

Is this the definition of"Gentle Coaching " or what?

I'd have been out there at qtr time 🤬🤬🤬! To the whole group. Sometimes you do need to bake the shit out of the players!
He said after Adelaide that that sort of coaching only works every 10 games...but what he's coaching never ****ing works.

I rolled my eyes when others referred to him saying it earlier in the week (thinking they were reading too much into it), then he went straight for it when asked pregame about the strength of the team named and I honestly thought "WTF?".

Years back Sheedy was bringing Essendon to Perth and was shit talking in the media during the week lead-up interviews, he decided to go with the ploy of "oh we're the underdogs", I'm assuming as an attempt of getting his boys fired up. Worsfold was asked about it and replied "doesn't he rate his own team?". When they told Sheedy about that he was dumbfounded and didn't know how to reply and knew he had been outplayed. It's always stuck in my head.

When your coach is telling everyone that will listen things like "we don't play well away from home" and "we'll have to see if the synergy is there" you can't help but scratch your head. Sure he’s probably not saying it directly to the playing group but you'd have to be pretty naive to think that it isn't getting back to them somewhere.
Exactly this. It started with the Covid hub complaints in 2020 - after the comments we fell apart and the losses piled up. Then the away from home comments before the Adelaide game, now downplaying our squad strength. Every time he does it, we look like an absolute joke on the field. Of course this gets back to the players - it feels so counterintuitive, and we've now got far too many examples for it to simply be coincidental in terms of the performance that follows such public comments. It's bound to affect confidence, and absolutely paves the way for a complete lack of effort. The proof is right in front of us.

Well hasn’t today’s loss dragged out a few sporadic posters out of the woodwork

I’ve posted previously about Simpson earning ticks and crosses throughout this year as part of the decision whether to retain him for the last year of his contract

Today was worth two entries in the cross column. With the side we had that was our worst performance for the year and were it not for the efforts of McGovern and Barrass we might be talking about a 100 point loss

The players were flat from the opening bounce and never got into gear

It’s now a matter of when we part ways with Simpson as the club needs a circuit breaker. He can’t be coach in 2025, it’d be untenable

So do we rip the bandaid off now and give Schofield an audition or persevere with what would effectively be a deadman walking by retaining Simpson for the rest of the year

What’s most disappointing is that after the Melbourne game we looked to be on the right path and things were on the up. Turned to shit since then for no apparent reason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back