Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Skip to 2024: Simpson coaching tenure officially ends

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, for $1mil.

Because nobody will give a shit in 12 months.

And the history books will always say he's a premiership coach too.

But nah the mouth-breathing Richmond supporter that works at my IGA s******s at me when I buy milk coz I coached a shit AFL team, that's worth $1m. Far out.

Edit: oh snig-
gers is in the swear filter.

But nah the mouth-breathing Richmond supporter that works at my IGA s******s at me when I buy milk coz I coached a shit AFL team, that's worth $1m. Far out.

It's not the 'S' that's in the filter...

After the Melbourne win.

Phil Murphy Governor GIF by GIPHY News

After losing winnable games to the saints & norf, whipped by adelaide and completely being outplayed by the hawks.

Video Games Ghost GIF by Call of Duty

Get Out GIF by The Meadows NYC

gordon ramsay cooking GIF by Fox TV

This is what I always find hilarious about people on here. Schofield has been heavily involved in running this team over the last few years. They are a coaching team and if Simpson is to blame so is Schofield.
Simmo has Schrodinger’s assistant. Both capable of being responsible for all the success (Mitchell) but none of the failures (Schofield).

always the same few posters coming into this thread to stick the boot in…they were conspicuously absent in round 10 :shoutyoldman: :rolleyesv1:
Exactly, development doesn’t go in a straight line with young kids. After the Freo and Melbourne wins, people were praising how we’d turned the corner. After what’s undoubtedly been a bad month, there’s no hope. If we bob up and play a couple of great games in the back stretch, people won’t know what to do with themselves again.

IMG_2068.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I have a feeling Pyke was happy to see how the year goes with Simmo then make the change for his final year.

It's time for a change and I'm confident the club will make the right call in regard to get the best coach for the job.

As for Schofield? I wouldn't be making him a caretaker coach if Simmos is shown the door before years end. Id make him go through the process when they go to select a new coach.

WOW, just read through the thread and what a bunch of Negative Nancy's on here.
Get a new coach. Sure, they are lining up on the footpath just waiting to coach us.
After years of middling draft picks and being on top this is the result.
Essendon on the bottom for how long.?
NM on the bottom for how long.?
St kilda on the bottom for how long?
I could go on but at this stage this is where we are at and it's going to be a few more years of pain until we start to rise again, just like Hawthorn are doing now.

Sacking a coach midseason is a loser thing for loser clubs like Norf.

Let him coach out the year, tell him his services are no longer required, then go through the process of hiring the best candidate.

Having Schofield or Knights be caretaker coach for the last 8 weeks of the year isn't going to make much of a positive change.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We haven’t quite finished draining the swap, have we?
Nope I think there's also another Sydney, SCG type result in our near future too unfortunately.

Prob down at Geelong in rd24 but don't discount Freo wanting to make up for earlier in the year

or any of our remaining games really

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Let him coach out the year, tell him his services are no longer required, then go through the process of hiring the best candidate.

Having Schofield or Knights be caretaker coach for the last 8 weeks of the year isn't going to make much of a positive change.
If they decided they wanted to part ways with him they would probably want to start the process of looking for a replacement before the end of the season. That means they would have to tell Simpson they are going to move him on before the season ends. Then it would pretty much come down to Simpson and whether he is bitter or not and whether he wants to coach the season out or not. My gut feel is that he would be bitter and would not want to coach out the season. I think he would just want to get paid out and move on.

Get a new coach. Sure, they are lining up on the footpath just waiting to coach us.
I could go on but at this stage this is where we are at and it's going to be a few more years of pain until we start to rise again, just like Hawthorn are doing now.

It will be much longer while Simmo stays in the coaches box, the rebuild starts the day the new coach starts.

I disagree, it can have a huge change on the players getting someone in for the last 8 weeks.
The players can be put on notice that they are playing for their careers, the line in the sand has been drawn and inconsistency is a thing of the past for the senior players. There is no more credits for anyone, no more excuses. Football is first, it is your job and thats how it has to be.

Keeping Simmo just engrains in our young kids for another 8 weeks that not being accountable is ok.
New message. New voice. New non negotiables.

I disagree, it can have a huge change on the players getting someone in for the last 8 weeks.
The players can be put on notice that they are playing for their careers, the line in the sand has been drawn and inconsistency is a thing of the past for the senior players. There is no more credits for anyone, no more excuses. Football is first, it is your job and thats how it has to be.

Keeping Simmo just engrains in our young kids for another 8 weeks that not being accountable is ok.
New message. New voice. New non negotiables.
What makes you think the message would be drastically different? The candidates for a caretaker coach are already at the club - a large chunk of what we are doing could already be from the brains of Schofield or Knights.

What makes you think the message would be drastically different? The candidates for a caretaker coach are already at the club - a large chunk of what we are doing could already be from the brains of Schofield or Knights.
I find it a bit weird that everyone's frothing over giving Schofield a chance, yet the midfield is our worst performing line...

I normally agree with you, I hear what you are saying and understand full well, we have a fair way to go in the rebuild.

But yesterday was the last straw for quite a few people (me included). I have zero expectations on winning games against the better sides, could rationalise the the losses to St Kilda and even to Norf to some extent, but yesterday was just completely unacceptable and indefensible in terms of the circumstances with the team we put out, who we were playing etc.

Expecting a basic level of effort and strategy for the home games, after the wins over Melbourne and Fremantle, there is no longer any excuse for being thrashed like that at home (except if we were playing a top four side, ala Sydney or Carlton).

Yesterday we were against a team on average younger in both age and games. Absolutely zero excuses and there needs to be a response.

I normally agree with you, I hear what you are saying and understand full well, we have a fair way to go in the rebuild.

But yesterday was the last straw for quite a few people (me included). I have zero expectations on winning games against the better sides, could rationalise the the losses to St Kilda and even to Norf to some extent, but yesterday was just completely unacceptable and indefensible in terms of the circumstances with the team we put out, who we were playing etc.

Expecting a basic level of effort and strategy for the home games, after the wins over Melbourne and Fremantle, there is no longer any excuse for being thrashed like that at home (except if we were playing a top four side, ala Sydney or Carlton).

Yesterday we were against a team on average younger in both age and games. Absolutely zero excuses and there needs to be a response.
Well, agree with pretty much all of this but you're underselling Hawthorn here.

They're a game and % off 5th place.

Don't be surprised to see them knocking on the door of the top 4 at season's end.

Having said that, the effort yesterday was abysmal and shouldn't be excused.

Yes that is correct, but they are not the ones running things. It would have to be between them and the board in that instance what type of things are to be put in place for the rest of the season.

Like I said lets say it's Schofield. He sits with the CEO and they come up with 2-3 things that are non negotiables between now and the end of the year.
They can lay it at the players feet that they are on trial for their careers.

There is much that can be achieved, there is virtually nothing and I mean a big fat zero that can be achieved keeping Adam Simpson as coach unless for some ridiculous reason you are thinking he will be coach after 2025.

Ugh, reluctant to dip into this thread in the current mood, but like many of the more rational posters - I think yesterday was a watershed moment and the die has been cast.

Simmo strikes me as a lovely bloke, and he's been a terrific servant of the club (despite the claims of some of you utter maniacs) but either: a) the gameplan isn't working, b) Simmo is picking the wrong personnel for the gameplan to work or c) the boys aren't buying into the gameplan.

In any event, the conclusion is the same: it's probably time to go.

In looking at the thread, we seem to be saying it's a question of does he go now, or does he go at season's end? I agree that mid-year sackings seldom create much benefit. Worst case, you get dead cat bounce from your interim coach and you end up hiring Matthew Primus.

However, moving on now would mean we'd be the first team into the open market looking for a new head coach. That's not nothing.

Is there a middle ground here? Simmo announces he's done at season's end - the boys get to play with some freedom between then and now (I mean, how can it be any worse?) and we get to start the recruitment process out in the open without and palace intrigue? I dunno, just asking the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back