Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Skip to 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, if someone agrees to take a $300k paycut to keep others in a job on the promise of an extension, you could probably understand why it happened.

Should've found other ways to compensate though.

Gov did the same.
Fair point. Only difference is Gov has repaid in spades during the extension.

Don’t think we (not you) should be criticising him wanting to be paid the terms of his contract. Could have let him walk to north but decided we wanted to keep him, that’s the cost of doing business.

Just pointing out the obvious disparity between Mitchell vs Simmo over their comparative coaching periods. Mitchell covers Simmo on every facet through the same period they have been coach. Its not much of an extension then to go back to 2018 and get context as to why our entire finals series game style in that period looks completely different to anything we produced before or after Mitchell was intricately involved.

Mate no one thinks Adam needs to go more than me but I think it’s a little disrespectful to not give him credit for being a premiership coach.

Fair point. Only difference is Gov has repaid in spades during the extension.

Don’t think we (not you) should be criticising him wanting to be paid the terms of his contract. Could have let him walk to north but decided we wanted to keep him, that’s the cost of doing business.
Yep, you reap what you sow.

I didn’t say he wasn’t a good coach Mitchell. I was just pointing out that if the senior coach has to cop the flak when we are not going great then surely when we are then he gets the credit.
Sam was a part of that coaching group and you don’t know anymore than I do what role he really played. It’s a good story but we don’t know. Has any player come out and catagorically said we could not of won without Sam Mitchell in the coaches box?
Will Schofield has been very, very effusive in his praise of Mitchell. So, that's at least one former player who has gone above and beyond the normal platitudes you get when asked about a colleague.

I think Simmo has a lot of great attributes but I don't think strategy is one of them. I know it rankles many here but our best years under him do happen to coincide with having at least one assistant who was well regarded for their strategic nous. It's reasonable to think that performances benefited at least some degree by having good ideas coming from someone he would trust and listen to. Or maybe that's a coincidence, who knows.

Now to see Mitchell coaching a side that has a couple of good players but hardly much of a list to be frightened of has to go somewhat further to confirming his talent. He is no doubt very shrewd in the coaches box, and he made whatever Simpson was doing from his box on the weekend look completely second rate. We didn't fire a shot. Not even for one quarter.

Maybe it's a bias on my behalf but there seem to be many examples over the years where we have been dominated and kicked out of games before even scoring a goal. That reeks of someone who doesn't have ideas to me.

I don't think that Simmo should be stripped of credit for the success we've had under him but at a certain point you have to acknowledge the walking, talking duck, which is that our best years in terms of a visible gameplan came when we had guys near him who were known for their ability to innovate strategically.

He should have had an idea what he wanted to do when he took the job. If he came in and said “nah I got no idea what I’m going to do. I’ll figure it out in 9 months or so” then he probably shouldn’t have got the job

I mean if I went for a job interview to lead a failing company and said “I ain’t gonna do anything for 9 months” I probably ain’t getting the job in real life
Rushing in to make a call that cost millions, when you arent even sure if thats the actual problem is a great way to ensure you wont have the job for very long

Will Schofield has been very, very effusive in his praise of Mitchell. So, that's at least one former player who has gone above and beyond the normal platitudes you get when asked about a colleague.

I think Simmo has a lot of great attributes but I don't think strategy is one of them. I know it rankles many here but our best years under him do happen to coincide with having at least one assistant who was well regarded for their strategic nous. It's reasonable to think that performances benefited at least some degree by having good ideas coming from someone he would trust and listen to. Or maybe that's a coincidence, who knows.

Now to see Mitchell coaching a side that has a couple of good players but hardly much of a list to be frightened of has to go somewhat further to confirming his talent. He is no doubt very shrewd in the coaches box, and he made whatever Simpson was doing from his box on the weekend look completely second rate. We didn't fire a shot. Not even for one quarter.

Maybe it's a bias on my behalf but there seem to be many examples over the years where we have been dominated and kicked out of games before even scoring a goal. That reeks of someone who doesn't have ideas to me.

I don't think that Simmo should be stripped of credit for the success we've had under him but at a certain point you have to acknowledge the walking, talking duck, which is that our best years in terms of a visible gameplan came when we had guys near him who were known for their ability to innovate strategically.

we were out coached against St kilda (ross), north (clarko), and now hawthorn (mitchell)

all 3 were winnable games but the other team was well drilled and exploited different weaknesses

Rushing in to make a call that cost millions, when you arent even sure if thats the actual problem is a great way to ensure you wont have the job for very long
Providing Pyke owns a television he is fully aware that’s the actual problem. You don’t investigate something that has already been investigated. You look at the evidence and make a call

I didn’t say he wasn’t a good coach Mitchell. I was just pointing out that if the senior coach has to cop the flak when we are not going great then surely when we are then he gets the credit.
Sam was a part of that coaching group and you don’t know anymore than I do what role he really played. It’s a good story but we don’t know. Has any player come out and catagorically said we could not of won without Sam Mitchell in the coaches box?
Will Schofield has said Sam Mitchell was the reason behind the successful 2018 season. It was also pretty obvious to see back then and even more obvious now, I’m still gobsmacked at how people still cannot put the puzzle together regarding all of that.

Our midfield especially went to another level that year, our most average players even stood up. We had a resilience in 2018 we haven’t seen all throughout the Simpson coaching tenure. We would get an injury to a higher profile player and another lesser player would just come in and do their job and do it well, You know like a well drilled and coached midfield does. Surely it’s clear as day who was behind that.. it could be pure coincidence but the odds don’t stack up well.

Last edited:
Will Schofield has said Sam Mitchell was the reason behind the successful 2018 season. It was also pretty obvious to see back then and even more obvious now, I’m still gobsmacked at how people still cannot put the puzzle together regarding all of that.

Our midfield especially went to another level that year, our most average players even stood up. We had a resilience in 2018 we haven’t seen all throughout the Simpson coaching tenure. Surely it’s clear as day who was behind it all..

I don’t like this whole “give credit to others when team is winning but blame coach when we aren’t”.

It’s so cliched and happens all the time to all successful coaches.

It’s not clear as day. Your best arguement is “mitchell was there, we won a premiership. He left, we didn’t. Therefore all down to Mitchell”.

I am ok with criticising Simpson but that type of assessment lacks depth.

I don’t like this whole “give credit to others when team is winning but blame coach when we aren’t”.

It’s so cliched and happens all the time to all successful coaches.

It’s not clear as day. Your best arguement is “mitchell was there, we won a premiership. He left, we didn’t. Therefore all down to Mitchell”.

I am ok with criticising Simpson but that type of assessment lacks depth.
No my argument is we have had lack of resilience throughout Simpsons whole coaching tenure when the going gets tough. Lack of tactical coaching throughout his coaching tenure. Lack of development to players under his coaching. He’s had a pretty good list since taking over from Worsfold so there are no excuses, he’s horrible at making tactical moves and out coaching the opposition coach.

The hawks list isn’t even a great list and he has them flying, it all comes down to the coach and that’s clear as day who the better one is

we were out coached against St kilda (ross), north (clarko), and now hawthorn (mitchell)

all 3 were winnable games but the other team was well drilled and exploited different weaknesses
I'm not sure about this.

When we actually put some effort in late in the Roo's game, we nearly ran over them in one quarter.

We just didn't turn up for those games. Played soft footy and got shown up for it.

Being a bit fumbly, missing kicks, not quite executing the game plan I can deal with - that can be worked on.

Showing some effort is the minimum that players should bring every week and we don't have that and haven't for a long while. The few games where we have shown some heart we have either won or come close. If a coach can't get that bit right, he's done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Conspiracy theory: The Eagles and Simmo have already come to an agreement that this is his last year, and his job is to maximise our draft position.

It's the only explanation I have for the land of the giants forward line, which is playing out exactly how we all predicted, and for rushing players back into the team without a stint in the WAFL first (Allen, Hunt) contrary to the approach at the start of the year, and which is also playing out exactly how we all predicted.

The alternative is that the match commitee have been lobotomised, which I guess is also a credible theory seeing what's been dished out.

Providing Pyke owns a television he is fully aware that’s the actual problem. You don’t investigate something that has already been investigated. You look at the evidence and make a call
If he had any sort of cognitive ability he wouldve seen that there is more to it than just "simmo bad", we genuinely had no availability the last 2 years, so we sorted that. Its unfair to judge Simmos coaching ability on 2022-2023

Now we can see what Simmo can do, we have had a few good/decent performances, and a few bad ones.

Conspiracy theory: The Eagles and Simmo have already come to an agreement that this is his last year, and his job is to maximise our draft position.

It's the only explanation I have for the land of the giants forward line, which is playing out exactly how we all predicted, and for rushing players back into the team without a stint in the WAFL first (Allen, Hunt) contrary to the approach at the start of the year, and which is also playing out exactly how we all predicted.

The alternative is that the match commitee have been lobotomised, which I guess is also a credible theory seeing what's been dished out.
Why would he make himself look bad when he's out the door at the end of the year?

Our midfield especially went to another level that year, our most average players even stood up. We had a resilience in 2018 we haven’t seen all throughout the Simpson coaching tenure. We would get an injury to a higher profile player and another lesser player would just come in and do their job and do it well, You know like a well drilled and coached midfield does. Surely it’s clear as day who was behind that.. it could be pure coincidence but the odds don’t stack up well.
Who was his assistant in 2015? Other than GF day they were quite a resilient bunch that year too.

Who was his assistant in 2015? Other than GF day they were quite a resilient bunch that year too.
Turning to water in the grand final and almost losing the prelim the week before to a weaker opponent at home in 2015 is completely different and the opposite of resilient to the hard fought wins against the pies in week 1, absolute demolition of the Dees in the prelim and a very gutsy comeback in the grand final when the odds were completely against us. All coaching, tactical and mentally toughened related.

We could debate this all day but since Simmo has been our coach we haven’t been a tough team that could win anywhere and from any position besides 2018.

No my argument is we have had lack of resilience throughout Simpsons whole coaching tenure when the going gets tough. Lack of tactical coaching throughout his coaching tenure. Lack of development to players under his coaching. He’s had a pretty good list since taking over from Worsfold so there are no excuses, he’s horrible at making tactical moves and out coaching the opposition coach.

The hawks list isn’t even a great list and he has them flying, it all comes down to the coach and that’s clear as day who the better one is

Again, I am ok discussing Simpson but again you are being revisionist. He made two grand finals so evidence of lacking isn’t really there. Worsfold left a decade ago and you do know players don’t play forever?

Hawks list had a lot of underrated players. Lack of superstars doesn’t mean list isn’t great. I made a post before the game and their running power is supreme. Something you would have seen if you watched their game.

If the game has gone past Simpson, then fine, let’s discuss that. FYI hawks fans haven’t exactly been in love with Mitchell, with many wanting him gone only 2 months ago.

WCE Coaches since 2014
2014: Adam Simpson
2015: Don Pyke
2016: Adam Simpson
2017: Adam Simpson up until Round 22, Sam Mitchell as playing coach for Round 23 and the Elimination Final before Simpson regained control for the Semi Final.
2018: Sam Mitchell
2019: Jaymie Graham
2020: Jaymie Graham
2021: Jaymie Graham
2022: Adam Simpson
2023: Adam Simpson
2024: Adam Simpson

We had a good run for a few years there but since Simpson took control again, it’s been nothing but failure. Sad sad 😭

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back