Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Skip to 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you sacking because of the result as one game? It’s more than that.

You are sacking him cos of the poor club culture at this point. If it was just a results issue I’d wait til end of the season. At this stage it’s just more then that

If someone is creating a poor culture, you don’t wait to sack them, you do it immediately. This is the place Simmo is at
I don't disagree, but a few weeks ago were were all up and about after a few wins.

Improvement isn't linear but if he can't get anything out of 14 premiership players then it's probably time.

I don't disagree, but a few weeks ago were were all up and about after a few wins.

Improvement isn't linear but if he can't get anything out of 14 premiership players then it's probably time.
I think people grasp onto hope quicker than despair for sure. That’s all that was

Every single person would have said yes to “Should we sack Simmo if we only won 3 games by 3/4 way through the season including a loss to North Melbourne at home” in any case so I’m not sure the results as a whole stand up anyway

No to sacking him mid season. Bring instability. End of the season is best

Wow we might not make the 8 if we sack the coach now…
We might have more 10 goal losses at home if we sack the coach..
Jack darling might crack it if dropped so he doesn’t get to 300 games and jack Williams takes his game time….

Burn the joint down and turf the credits crew

Sacking Simpson this week is a complete knee-jerk reaction to talk back radio nuffies.

By all means, put him on notice for the next 3 games and let him know that if they're like the Hawthorn game, then sayonara.

You can't say sacking a coach one loss a game after everyone was generally positive about the effort against Essendon away is a show of 'strength'.

Quite the opposite, in my opinion.
Except it's not a kneejerk reaction. It's a step in the right direction.

You honestly think he isn't past the point of something as lame as putting him on notice?

Are you sacking because of the result of one game? It’s more than that.

You are sacking him cos of the poor club culture at this point. If it was just a results issue I’d wait til end of the season. At this stage it’s just more then that

If someone is creating a poor culture, you don’t wait to sack them, you do it immediately. This is the place Simmo is at
Why do you think there is a culture problem . To me I see it as a team that is inconsistent on field .

I think people grasp onto hope quicker than despair for sure. That’s all that was

Every single person would have said yes to “Should we sack Simmo if we only won 3 games by 3/4 way through the season including a loss to North Melbourne at home” in any case so I’m not sure the results as a whole stand up anyway
Most people were expecting 3-5 wins this year, based off threads before the season started, so we're online with what most people thought.

We're not getting smacked around and we've improved in a lot of areas, this is true

However, the more alarming thing is the great availability of senior players and the piss poor performances they've dished up in games.

Definitely should've won against North and St Kilda but the players just seemed disinterested. That is the biggest cause for concern and what makes it worse than last year, in some people's eyes.

Then there's the bewildering selections.

5 tall forward in the weekend? MC clearly smoking crack.

Should be no more than 3 tall forwards MAX, which includes the resting ruckman, at any time.

You can reward blokes for form all you want, but if the next tall forwards in the AFL side are playing better than you, you gun it at WAFL and take their spot.

There's just no pressure for spots, despite the chatter about it and the availability.

I am not worried who because it doesn’t matter right now. Either of them will be fine to see out the year. It’s more about putting these players and that is the entire squad on notice that the credits are gone, that the players choose what they want to do is thrown out.
Pretty much an 8 week job interview for the squad.
The players need to know they are no longer in charge, they will fo what they are told, when they are told.
Now if the interim coach gets the job long term that’s great, if it’s someone else then also great.
The club in my opinion is in a position though thst it simply cannot be Adam Simpson.
The idea that a coaching change will put players on notice is a furphy, imo. It only applies to people already on the fringe and at the end of their career. You don’t think Kelly or Barrass or Hough or Ginbey are really gonna pack their dacks that a new coach might sack them? Likewise, you think JJ, Rotham, Gaff, Trew etc don’t know their careers are on the line?

Maybe a new coach does get a quick performance bump, we know the players are capable of it, we’ve seen it. But if they do, are we then committed to the coach even if he’s not the best available? Equally, maybe the same assistant coaches get the same results. I’d rather put all the work in at the end of the season and make sure we get the best possible coach rather than sack Simmo just to make disappointed fans feel better.

Except it's not a kneejerk reaction. It's a step in the right direction.

You honestly think he isn't past the point of something as lame as putting him on notice?
Dunno but people were mostly happy with his performance(at least at home) up until the 2 games before the bye.

I'm not saying don't move him on and if they did decide to this week, can't say I'd be particularly fussed, I'm just saying don't do it like a basket case side would and make sure you have a proper plan for the interim and to replace the position long term.

You think he's impressed with the shit we put out this week anyway?
Seems like people want to see him throw a tantrum because that equals passion, apparently. He’s always kept things behind closed doors and that’s a good thing. We as fans actually have no idea if he roasts them or pats them on the back.

Why do you think there is a culture problem . To me I see it as a team that is inconsistent on field .
Coach inability to set standards and pick his team based on form as opppsed to pre conceived ideas he had in January

If form, work rate was a standard that mattered then Zane Trew would have played this week. To Simmo these things just don’t matter

It’s very easy to take a week off when your coach comes out next day and says “it’s okay to have a bad week cos you were good the week before”. It’s loser talk like that which is setting the standards at this club I’m afriad

Wow we might not make the 8 if we sack the coach now…
We might have more 10 goal losses at home if we sack the coach..
Jack darling might crack it if dropped so he doesn’t get to 300 games and jack Williams takes his game time….

Burn the joint down and turf the credits crew
That's the spirit, Burn the place down and then we can all go and support Freo.
They are winning at the moment 😁

Dunno but people were mostly happy with his performance(at least at home) up until the 2 games before the bye.

I'm not saying don't move him on and if they did decide to this week, can't say I'd be particularly fussed, I'm just saying don't do it like a basket case side would and make sure you have a proper plan for the interim and to replace the position long term.
Well yeah I agree with the second part of that statement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Speak for yourself in that sense. I’ve had like 4 hours of happiness all year watching this team play. Hardly enough to call me happy with our performances

The idea that a coaching change will put players on notice is a furphy, imo. It only applies to people already on the fringe and at the end of their career. You don’t think Kelly or Barrass or Hough or Ginbey are really gonna pack their dacks that a new coach might sack them? Likewise, you think JJ, Rotham, Gaff, Trew etc don’t know their careers are on the line?

Maybe a new coach does get a quick performance bump, we know the players are capable of it, we’ve seen it. But if they do, are we then committed to the coach even if he’s not the best available? Equally, maybe the same assistant coaches get the same results. I’d rather put all the work in at the end of the season and make sure we get the best possible coach rather than sack Simmo just to make disappointed fans feel better.

This is not disappointed fans mate. This is fans simply asking why the obvious is taking so long. We all know it should have happened last year but couldn’t because if a contract.
You do know he was only kept on yo save face paying out up to 5 million bucks, the club didn’t retain Adam because he is the right bloke to keep coaching.
Well the money issue is now gone so let’s move him on and get on with rebuilding the club.
Again what are we waiting for?

Yes it would, a new coach could make them understand that 1 week of no effort will send you to the WAFL as opposed to a back rub and a “we will do better next week” that the current lot get.

Only 10 or so players should feel comfortable with getting picked week in week out. Under Simmo that list is about 18 players long. Shortening that list should hopefully see some more effort and intent

Coach inability to set standards and pick his team based on form as opppsed to pre conceived ideas he had in January

If form, work rate was a standard that mattered then Zane Trew would have played this week. To Simmo these things just don’t matter

It’s very easy to take a week off when your coach comes out next day and says “it’s okay to have a bad week cos you were good the week before”. It’s loser talk like that which is setting the standards at this club I’m afraid
Do you know Zane? He's doing OK in the wafl I believe but we don't know what is behind doors.
He might have a bad attitude or is a selfish player but he is not getting a game for a reason that you don't know about.
You just guess and make shit up. Just like the rest of us

Speak for yourself in that sense. I’ve had like 4 hours of happiness all year watching this team play. Hardly enough to call me happy with our performances
I'd say the first few games, despite being shit losses, definitely showed improvement in a number of areas but we mostly got undone by horrific skills, which led to easy goals on the turnover. This changes vs Richmond, Freo and Melbourne and it appeared to all click. Had another couple of shitty away losses but based on those wins, we should've easily accounted for North and St Kilda.

That's where it all completely unraveled, other than a whimper against Essendon.

Our results are definitely better, hence being 20% points higher than last season.

The concern/realisation is that were just a bit shit, now that we can see the full squad in action, bar a few.

It may not be fully down to the coach but if he can't get maximum effort out of the side every week, then the reins need to be handed over.

Do you know Zane? He's doing OK in the wafl I believe but we don't know what is behind doors.
He might have a bad attitude or is a selfish player but he is not getting a game for a reason that you don't know about.
You just guess and make shit up. Just like the rest of us
I’d rather just judge players on football form then what Simmo thinks of a player’s personality.

Well, you must be a miserable campaigner then. Three wins is six hours. Both games against Essendon and the game against Sydney were also pleasing because we were very competitive, did some exciting things, despite people thinking we’d be lucky to win three games all year.

Then there was the seven whole days after the derby…

Happy Antonio Banderas GIF

Well, you must be a miserable campaigner then. Three wins is six hours. Both games against Essendon and the game against Sydney were also pleasing because we were very competitive, did some exciting things, despite people thinking we’d be lucky to win three games all year.

Then there was the seven whole days after the derby…

Happy Antonio Banderas GIF
When it comes to the current state of the Eagles, no one is more miserable than me . I’m by far the most miserable person here

I just can’t stand to see people who lack desire. Not just on the AFL but in all areas of life.

For 3 years we have lacked desire. I’m sick of it

When it comes to the current state of the Eagles, no one is more miserable than me . I’m by far the most miserable person here

I just can’t stand to see people who lack desire. Not just on the AFL but in all areas of life.

For 3 years we have lacked desire. I’m sick of it
St Kilda has lacked desire for 60 odd years .
Good thing you Don't support them, you would be really miserable😁

Sacking Simpson this week is a complete knee-jerk reaction to talk back radio nuffies.

By all means, put him on notice for the next 3 games and let him know that if they're like the Hawthorn game, then sayonara.

You can't say sacking a coach one loss a game after everyone was generally positive about the effort against Essendon away is a show of 'strength'.

Quite the opposite, in my opinion.
To be fair it wouldn’t be a knee jerk reaction at all, Carlton sacking Ratten was a knee jerk reaction. If we had sacked him after the disappointing 2019 season then that would’ve been a knee jerk reaction. We have been atrocious for 5 seasons straight and Simmo has done literally not a single thing to show a tiny resemblance of change. The sooner he gets sacked the better it is for the players imo

Last edited:
St Kilda has lacked desire for 60 odd years .
Good thing you Don't support them, you would be really miserable😁
Premierships don’t equal desire at all. That equals success

A lack of desire is more to do with leaving a game knowing your team tried as hard as they could, that they are angry or disappointed in a loss, that every single person is doing their best to improve and that in general I want to support a team who believes failure is unacceptable as opposed to unavoidable.

The team is worse than any St Kilda team I can remember in the last 30 years. Only North can be discussed in the same way we can

Remove this Banner Ad

Back