Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Skip to 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't really imagine a messenger group with senior players and the NKOTB where they would delve into anything serious, like sharing their POV on the coach.

Anyhoo...

Kinda telling that our Captain doesn't even rate a mention in your defensive breakdown.

Just about choked on my weeties when I saw Duggan referred to as one of our best vs Hawthorn in that "players get frank with each other" article.
i'de be using duggan to help the mids. thats why he didnt crack a mention.

I watched it, he said first it was covid, then it was 2 years of injuries and this is the first year of a rebuild that doesn't happen in 16 weeks....
Sounds like a complete copout to me. Considering the injuries forced us to do a rebuild and play a bunch of kids before they were ready. Shouldn't that accelerate the rebuild not hinder it?
We were in the top 8 most experienced teams last week in both age and games played. We only had 5 or 6 players under 22 and even those players have player 20-30 games.
I'm not sure if thats even a rebuild tbh or a patchup job
A little from column A and a little from column B.

Ginbey and Chesser shouldn't have played as many games as they have. Petrucelle, Jones, Rotham are examples of players who have played more AFL games than they should have AND won't be on our list the next time we play finals.

I don't know how any of that explains last week because even when we were being murdered on turnovers through the first month, we were trying something. We had our best team since round 1 last week and we have been trying to switch the play at every opportunity rather than taking the game on out of defense.

I can see why we would be considered to be in the first year of a rebuild. Simmo has alluded to the fact that we've gone back to basics before. I'm just a little stumped as to why such an experienced back line is making such poor decisions and skill errors.

I give it to Simmo he's had a lot of hard media conferences and he keeps rocking up and gives the answers without getting angry or too defensive. Would be tough.

Saying that though how is it first year of a rebuild Simmo? We've been one of the worst teams in history for the last 3 and half years! Covid was 4 years ago and he's still bringing it up.

I reckon it’s pretty to easy to dead bat the same questions from the same reporters knowing that if you roll out the same answers after every question they will eventually give up and move onto the next question line without challenging you.

Oh, and getting paid in the hundreds of thousands or in hj franchises also would take the sting out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'm sympathetic towards the coach... at the end of the day, he isn't the one shirking contests, missing targets and failing to lay tackles. That's on the players.

But eventually, you just have to do the sums... there are 45 players on the list, and this season only maybe McGovern, Barrass and Waterman have played consistently well. Most of the senior players have gone backwards, and with the exception of Reid, Hough and maybe Jack Williams, most of the youngster aren't developing particularly well.

At some point, you have to accept that they can't all be duds. And we know they aren't, because most of them have shown they can play better. The blame has to lie with the coach.

I find it impossible to see him getting a new contract. So if we know he's going... why play out this charade? Pull the band-aid off, and get it over with.

While I don't think there's a 'fully scale player mutiny' on their hands at the club, I can imagine that some players would be really frustrated about things. As any normal person would when you've only won 8 out of the last how many? 60/70 games? You can only take it for so long before you start to fray.

We'll see how the boys look on field this week, if it's exactly like the Hawks game then God help us all.

I'm sympathetic towards the coach... at the end of the day, he isn't the one shirking contests, missing targets and failing to lay tackles. That's on the players.

But eventually, you just have to do the sums... there are 45 players on the list, and this season only maybe McGovern, Barrass and Waterman have played consistently well. Most of the senior players have gone backwards, and with the exception of Reid, Hough and maybe Jack Williams, most of the youngster aren't developing particularly well.

At some point, you have to accept that they can't all be duds. And we know they aren't, because most of them have shown they can play better. The blame has to lie with the coach.

I find it impossible to see him getting a new contract. So if we know he's going... why play out this charade? Pull the band-aid off, and get it over with.
Maybe they've got someone in mind or an agreement in principle but need to wait until season's end to say anything.

"Grubby" is a pretty accurate description of the west's business in general and this story is no different. Probably the kindest word simmo could muster. You can find players at all 18 clubs who aren't big fans of the coach, especially those playing 2s, and it will fit the narrative you want to run with. Nevertheless I think the hawthorn game will end up being the one that starts moving this towards the end. I don't think simmo should or will be there next year. I just hope everyone, including the fans, end it with a bit of class (don't go full Port Adelaide)

"Grubby" is a pretty accurate description of the west's business in general and this story is no different. Probably the kindest word simmo could muster. You can find players at all 18 clubs who aren't big fans of the coach, especially those playing 2s, and it will fit the narrative you want to run with. Nevertheless I think the hawthorn game will end up being the one that starts moving this towards the end. I don't think simmo should or will be there next year. I just hope everyone, including the fans, end it with a bit of class (don't go full Port Adelaide)
Sun Tzu stated that a good leader must lead well, pay well and hang well. Most players are over paid - everything else is behind closed doors as its should be. (I have no idea but indicators look ok.) Perhaps the hanging is better that some here give credit for! Leadership isn't a popularity contest in the end!

Anyone who watches that press conference and wants to sink the boots in have serious issues.
He's human, who's only capable of seeing what he can see and not knowing what he doesn't know.

In the end, our boys are piss weak around the contest, and their career unless they change teams or pull their socks up will be a blank slate full of regret when they look back on it.

Anyone who watches that press conference and wants to sink the boots in have serious issues.
He's human, who's only capable of seeing what he can see and not knowing what he doesn't know.

In the end, our boys are piss weak around the contest, and their career unless they change teams or pull their socks up will be a blank slate full of regret when they look back on it.
Would like to like this a couple more times.

Correct, he is human, and can only see what he can see…. Shame he is blind when it comes to watching the team he coaches play and the players that continually let him down

And who's fault is that?
We've been piss weak at the contest since 2014 and it only changed for a brief period when Mitchell was the midfield coach.

Simpson accepts them being piss weak which is why they are.

Do you accept your kids swearing and running on the table at home for example?
If you do that's why your kids doit, if you don't that's why your kids don't

It's not hard ffs

Correct, he is human, and can only see what he can see…. Shame he is blind when it comes to watching the team he coaches play and the players that continually let him down

Well your completely without any sort of a filter. From your comments going back to who you called Watermelon " Look how your constant calls of delisting him? " You have zero credit for anything you say.

Show some compassion or don't comment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My sympathy levels for senior coaches are pretty limited. They get paid exceptionally well, and do the job by choice. They know full-well the expectations that come with the role. And Simpson has been pretty candid about that too... he knows exactly what the role entails.

I know the media pressure on coaches can be over the top at times, but Simpson has actually had a pretty easy ride given our poor performance over the years. If the pressure is too much, he can quit at any time. Given the money involved, I don't begrudge him sticking around... which is why my frustration is directed at the club more than anyone else.

Well your completely without any sort of a filter. From your comments going back to who you called Watermelon " Look how your constant calls of delisting him? " You have zero credit for anything you say.

Show some compassion or don't comment.

Watermelon? Nah junk time Jake is much better ….

My sympathy levels for senior coaches are pretty limited. They get paid exceptionally well, and do the job by choice. They know full-well the expectations that come with the role. And Simpson has been pretty candid about that too... he knows exactly what the role entails.

I know the media pressure on coaches can be over the top at times, but Simpson has actually had a pretty easy ride given our poor performance over the years. If the pressure is too much, he can quit at any time. Given the money involved, I don't begrudge him sticking around... which is why my frustration is directed at the club more than anyone else.
He's getting paid more than the prime minister, and it's one of the most prestigious jobs in Australia. Simpson is so sensitive and whinges all the time about the West Australian. He's lucky it's been a big boy's club and he was given this ridiculous extension.

He's getting paid more than the prime minister, and it's one of the most prestigious jobs in Australia. Simpson is so sensitive and whinges all the time about the West Australian. He's lucky it's been a big boy's club and he was given this ridiculous extension.
I listened to his press conference and didn't interpret anything he said as whinging. He expressed his view that he didn't like it but knows that it's what sells papers so it's what they're going to do.

I am of the view that Simmo's time to leave is now, but I couldn't help but be impressed with his response to all the media talk. Completely unflappable, committed, and sure of his leadership ability. It's a damn shame because if he could just get this team playing consistently and not serving up so many complete surrenders I'd back him in for many more years.

“The West has also obtained text messages by three current members of the squad sent to people formerly associated with the club saying they no longer backed Simpson as coach. One of the messages was written by a senior star, with the other two by younger players.”

Taken at face value, thats game over.
Publicly, Simmo is taking little notice of this issue. You would hope that privately, he’s starting to worry. Pull the pin while you’re still popular Simmo.

I disagree about whinging. I think he's been very pragmatic about the role of the media, pretty consistently too. That said, he's been kissed on the dick in terms of a sweet contract that's made it almost impossible to sack him... and the media in WA, by and large, are lap dogs to West Coast because they fear being shut out, while the Victorian media tend to focus more on local clubs.

If he were coaching here in Victoria, he would be getting roasted almost every week. And if he were coaching St Kilda or North, where coaches have a maximum 6-month payout, he would have been sacked several times over.

Look, when McGovern is the best kick in the back line, you know we have a lack of depth and skill in our side. Frankly we got molested with bad luck, lost multiple high pick players for nothing in return and due to early retirement.

We have zero depth. The players play, the coach can't control intent.
Again we are a team playing just how the afl would dream the game be played, low contact, non aggressive football. The players lack balls and shame, blind Freddy can see it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back