Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Skip to 2024: Simpson coaching tenure officially ends

Remove this Banner Ad

We were just pushing for that extra flag and had blinkers on.

Didn't give guys a chance to play multiple games in a row to play together.

This is why Simmo is sticking with the similar side again. Continuity builds a side.

Everyone being 50 feet tall is a diff story

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Look, when McGovern is the best kick in the back line, you know we have a lack of depth and skill in our side. Frankly we got molested with bad luck, lost multiple high pick players for nothing in return and due to early retirement.

We have zero depth. The players play, the coach can't control intent.
Again we are a team playing just how the afl would dream the game be played, low contact, non aggressive football. The players lack balls and shame, blind Freddy can see it
I disagree on one part of this… coaches absolutely can control intent. You could argue that controlling intent is the difference between a good coach and an average one. It’s what makes Lyon a good coach - even though the saints are shit it’s not due to a lack of intent, for example.

Simpson is failing in his mastery of this. He’s a very supportive guy, this is evident, but the players don’t fear him in that he’ll make changes if their intent is poor. Sheed is an example of this.

Schoey and Hammer on the Backchat podcast were going hard on their views that players don't play for coaches. They play for themselves, their team, club, families (and flags). The point they were making is that if the players put in a lazy effort that is on them, as they control that, not the coach.

Also said that having a couple of disgruntled players doesn't mean anything. They said that half the playing group - the ones not getting a game - would be down on the coach. They said they didn't like Simmo when they weren't picked, or were dropped. Schoey also said he didn't like Woosha when Woosha didn't pick him. Hammer acknowledged that he wasn't good enough to be in the main team but still didn't like it when he wasn't chosen.

They all agreed that it was grubby reporting by The West and doesn't represent anything new in club land. That said, they wouldn't be surprised if West Coast had a new coach next year.

Personally, my issue with Simmo more is the player selections and lack of changes during games. I'd find it hard to remember many games where pundits thought Simmo out-coached the opposition. Moreso it is him that tends to get out-coached.

Lose, that's what they can (and will) do
Yeah no doubt we'll keep losing but I'd rather lose with a bunch of enthusiastic kids building to something than this patchwork quilt of whatever we have.

Hough has played 45 games for 6 wins.

Hopefully by the time he's played 100 he has at 25-35 wins

For example North have guys on nearly 100 games for 10 wins

Yeah no doubt we'll keep losing but I'd rather lose with a bunch of enthusiastic kids building to something than this patchwork quilt of whatever we have.

Hough has played 45 games for 6 wins.

Hopefully by the time he's played 100 he has at 25-35 wins

For example North have guys on nearly 100 games for 10 wins

Agree completely, this half arsed "rebuild" where Simpson just drops Gaff and thinks jobs done is very annoying.
I probably wouldn't have minded him staying on next year if he'd just prioritise playing more of the younger guys but he's stubbornly refusing to in a nothing season where we were never going to achieve much.
So he just has to go, him as coach is actually detrimental to our rebuild at this point

Last edited:
Yep agree.

I was fine to see him coach out his contract if we were giving the future games but it's all just stagnated.

Got 8 games left.

Without sounding morbid the best thing would be if some senior guys did 8 weeks injuries to blood these kids for 8 weeks

I was looking at wce stats and man LeCras was a gun!

What we'd give for a player like that now.

Go midfield and get 25+ and sneak fwd and kick bags.

What a champ.

Hopefully Harley can replicate in his own way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I disagree on one part of this… coaches absolutely can control intent. You could argue that controlling intent is the difference between a good coach and an average one. It’s what makes Lyon a good coach - even though the saints are shit it’s not due to a lack of intent, for example.

Simpson is failing in his mastery of this. He’s a very supportive guy, this is evident, but the players don’t fear him in that he’ll make changes if their intent is poor. Sheed is an example of this.
Yeah I agree with you, the intent, hardness, brutality and effort needs to be there every week.

Look at Geelong for example even though it's not their best year they bring hardness at the contest and Oppo every week.

Or though loosing it isn't ideal but the non negotiables are intent, hardness, brutality and effort.

I agree. Too many people say the coach isn't out there missing tackles, slipping over, putting in half-arsed chases or failing to convert shots at goal. That is true but reductive. The coach is responsible for the state our team is in and the performances they put out on the park. At some point you have to stop selling "reasons not excuses", "we'll learn from it"s and the like and actually stand by the performances on game day. That's what matters. Sure we appear to be slowly improving our percentage based on the last few years, but the blowouts and non-efforts are still too common.

I truly hate Lyon and wouldn't want him as our coach but he is an example of one thing: it's not that hard to not get crucified on the field, even if you have a shit list. I think part of the reason we have so many complete meltdown games is because the coaching box is filled with people who don't know how to come up with plans C, D and E when the opposition has the momentum. Well, we need to go out and find someone who does. Sucks for anyone who loses their job but it's the way it goes in a high performance industry.

Buckley needs the money and has already sold some of his memorabilia so he would probably say where do I sign to a good contract ..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I got the impression Bucks was forced to sell those medals/awards because his ex was taking half of everything in the divorce settlement. They had to be liquidated and then he bought some of the stuff back.

After hearing Luke Hodge on crunch time going after the Eagles players this morning I’d be offering whatever it took for him to coach the club….

From about the 7 min mark

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
All I get in that link is some serious Bombre gobbling?

I got the impression Bucks was forced to sell those medals/awards because his ex was taking half of everything in the divorce settlement. They had to be liquidated and then he bought some of the stuff back.
He didn't have to sell half of everything - if he kept them, it would mean he'd have to give up something else of equivalent value (of half their worth).

Of all the hilarious stuff in this thread the thing that has made me heartily chortle is the "Hodge and Seldwood are in the media coz the money is better than coaching."

They aren't in coaching coz both are either as thick as pig shit or so deep in their CTE symptoms that they can't string a coherent sentence together. Great players with an advanced understanding of the game? Sure. Able to think and instruct a team full of players, develop a gameplan and communicate it clearly? LoL 😂

Na disagree completely. Most Eagles fans wanted to keep him at the end of last year, there was even that weird lame petition that went around

Almost no support at all now

Yes, the petition was something 😆

I put my hand up of being in the keep camp, could certainly hear the arguments for changing, but with the two years of the contract remaining, promised off field changes (to medical, fitness/S&C) improving player availability etc. was willing to see how he would go with a hopefully healthier, somewhat rejuvenated list and the backing of the board.

A good month early on which raised hopes but it has been a decline since in all aspects since (I didn’t mind the Essendon game and what was ‘tried’), but Sunday was just completely indefensible.

Of all the hilarious stuff in this thread the thing that has made me heartily chortle is the "Hodge and Seldwood are in the media coz the money is better than coaching."

They aren't in coaching coz both are either as thick as pig shit or so deep in their CTE symptoms that they can't string a coherent sentence together. Great players with an advanced understanding of the game? Sure. Able to think and instruct a team full of players, develop a gameplan and communicate it clearly? LoL 😂

I know… Both would have had plenty of opportunities whilst playing to start to advance their coaching capabilities (like a lot do) but haven’t. Possibly on the advice of others 😆 They still might, but you wouldn’t think they would walk into a head coaching role off the bat. Good football minds, great onfield leaders but that doesn’t always translate into being a coach…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back