Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

The next coach needs to be a sacrificial lamb. Develop the new recruits, draft well, and then fall on their sword in 4-5 years time when there has been no improvement.
Then the next NEXT coach takes over and does a Woosha/Simmo winning a flag within 4 years of taking over.

the lion king GIF by Walt Disney Records

Well done!!!! Perform well schofield and lock up that position long term.

Best CV I have full faith.

His position to lose

What do we need to see from the side for Schofield to win the job?

Personally:
  • I want to see a consistent game plan;
  • ability to get players to play with energy;
  • the ability to make tough decisions when selecting a side; and
  • reinvent at least a couple of players in new roles to show that he can identify player strengths and not just accept the pidgeonholes Simpson stuck players into.

If Schofield selects a safe 22, reverts to a safe system and gets some safe results, I hope he isn't rewarded with the job.

I don't necessarily think the list is horrible. We are so mentally weak and soft when the going gets kinda tough. We DO need to move on some deadwood don't get me wrong.
What I don’t understand is that earlier in the season we seemed to be on the right track and showed promise - and even had a couple of unexpected wins - and then just like that we went south again - as all most supporters want to see is some system in play and some effort being made by the players. I do believe many of the players just stopped playing for the coach for whatever reason.

J Schofield must be a chance .tough enough to get players on edge and will make moves . Liam Ryan will be pleased .

Totally agree, pity they don't leave with Simmo. He's copped the chop whilst the assistants who were supposed to help him haven't been held responsible. None of our assistants would get a gig at another club.
It's a pity that one of them will take over for the remainder of the season.
We could do worse than bring in Peter Sumich.
Also need to clean out player development management and coaches as their record is even worse than Simmos.
Have a look at the quality people some teams in Melbourne have in Player development.
Pies : Josh Fraser Melb : Choco Williams
Football Managers
Leon Cameron Swans
Alan Richardson Melb.
Daniel McPherson Bombers
Brad Lloyd Carlton
WTF have we got
A bit difficult to do in mid season to get anybody else so usually it’s always assistant coaches who step in as caretaker coaches at times like that. You never know Schofield may surprise us as he no longer has to answer to the head coach so he may have ideas he was unable to put in place whilst Simmo was at the helm.

Shaz Wellingham just nominated Luke Shuey as a candidate 🥴

Shaz Wellingham just nominated Luke Shuey as a candidate
Shardz Wellingham.

Awful call by Sharrod.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not going to throw Schofield's name in the bin yet. People couldn't get him into the club fast enough before, now that he's been around the last couple of years he's spoiled milk apparently. Has a stellar record apart from making the poor career choice of coming to West Coast when he did. Tough gig to win as caretaker, though perhaps the club won't be enarmoured with any of the candidates that are available. At any rate, he will need to show some real points of difference with Simmo to have a chance - mostly you would expect that to be with selection, though some improvement on field wouldn't be unwelcome either.

As for the rest... I'm not going to think about it too much for now. Some of the names seem OK, though there is hardly anyone to get excited about. I will back the club to do the same thing they did last time, which was pick a name nobody had in the beginning who turned out to be our next flag winning coach.

We can forget about Hewett he was one shining light injured his foot again, it could be career over.
They literally said it had nothing to do with his issue.

Sounds similar to what Oscar had last year.

We really don't know what's going on with Hewett with the lack of info provided, but yeah - it's daft to suggest career over for a young guy.

One from left field I suppose, but Shaun Grigg would be a great candidate IMO.

We were pissed to lose him last year, and many believed he would end up being Scott's successor. He was rated that highly.

Now at the Suns working under Dimma, with no real pathway to end up being the coach there unless he's prepared to wait half a decade.

Played and earned his apprenticeship under two of the best coaches of all time. Could be worth a shot I reckon if you're not intent on it being an ex-Eagle.

We really don't know what's going on with Hewett with the lack of info provided, but yeah - it's daft to suggest career over for a young guy.
The club chose their words very carefully, it’s not the same anatomical area but it is related.

Ridiculous for anyone to declare anything remotely close to career over but it’s not good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back