Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Skip to 2024: Simpson coaching tenure officially ends

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I kinda liked that we’ve never sacked a coach mid season and the reality is that since we pushed Todd out at the end of 1989 we’ve only properly sacked one coach (Judge) since.

Malthouse bailed to Collingwood with a year still to run on his contract. Judge was judged and was properly sacked. Worsfold was a mutually agreed parting of the ways that was presented as him resigning which saved the club from firing him.

There would be very few people anywhere that think Simpson will be coaching West Coast in 2025. I don’t think even he believes he will be

So the only question now is what can be gained by him staying on for the last 7 games. I don’t think it’s doing the club, the players, the coaches or Simpson himself prolonging this any longer

Give him this weekend to coach what will be his 243rd game in charge, drawing level with Malthouse for games coached at West Coast, and the fans can thank him for what he has done before the club moves on

Get the ball rolling in the search for his replacement and roll out some different looks to see what players can offer when given an opportunity or played in a different position

Questions on his coaching are only going to grow louder if nothing is done

I’ve always been a fan of Simpson’s and supported the decision to keep him on for this year but sadly the time has come for a new coach to take over

His first day:

pizza fire GIF

I kinda liked that we’ve never sacked a coach mid season and the reality is that since we pushed Todd out at the end of 1989 we’ve only properly sacked one coach (Judge) since.

Malthouse bailed to Collingwood with a year still to run on his contract. Judge was judged and was properly sacked. Worsfold was a mutually agreed parting of the ways that was presented as him resigning which saved the club from firing him.

There would be very few people anywhere that think Simpson will be coaching West Coast in 2025. I don’t think even he believes he will be

So the only question now is what can be gained by him staying on for the last 7 games. I don’t think it’s doing the club, the players, the coaches or Simpson himself prolonging this any longer

Give him this weekend to coach what will be his 243rd game in charge, drawing level with Malthouse for games coached at West Coast, and the fans can thank him for what he has done before the club moves on

Get the ball rolling in the search for his replacement and roll out some different looks to see what players can offer when given an opportunity or played in a different position

I’ve always been a fan of Simpson’s and supported the decision to keep him on for this year but sadly the time has come for a new coach to take over

he has spoken

dune-2-lead-them-to-paradise.png

Simmo definitely knows he won’t be there next year… finish off the year, play the kids and set the standards for the future coach.

Simmo definitely knows he won’t be there next year… finish off the year, play the kids and set the standards for the future coach.

IMO he should finish off round 23 at home for a proper send off, no sense him flying to Geelong for the last game of his coaching career here

a39e357c-532b-4a48-bfec-ff0127012ad0_text.gif

Feeling very much the same - willing to back him in for this season with some genuine improvement shown but it’s gone on long enough now.

The loss in Adelaide was probably the biggest concern for me as we appeared to have put those ridiculous ‘absolute no-show’ games behind us - but that effort against Hawthorn was not one of a team engaged and hungry to succeed.

I would rather not sack the guy - but I think he is determined to make it the board’s call - and they have to pull the trigger this time.

If they sack him now though, I think it will probably cause more damage than waiting until the season is done - Simpson himself has too much class to throw the club under the bus but the media will savage the club for sacking him - damned if they do/don’t regardless though really.

Do we get Simmo doing a interview with his successor as he did with Woosh?

I wish someone at the presser could have asked Simmo these questions.

Why are we trying something with Jack Darling indeed.

Feeling very much the same - willing to back him in for this season with some genuine improvement shown but it’s gone on long enough now.

The loss in Adelaide was probably the biggest concern for me as we appeared to have put those ridiculous ‘absolute no-show’ games behind us - but that effort against Hawthorn was not one of a team engaged and hungry to succeed.

I would rather not sack the guy - but I think he is determined to make it the board’s call - and they have to pull the trigger this time.

If they sack him now though, I think it will probably cause more damage than waiting until the season is done - Simpson himself has too much class to throw the club under the bus but the media will savage the club for sacking him - damned if they do/don’t regardless though really.
I'm with you.

I agree with Whateley TBH.

Unless you want to try out one our assistant coaches, I don't
see the benefit of a midseason sacking.

I can understand the other viewpoint in doing it now.

I just don't agree with it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckons we are looking at Jamie Graham, Dean Cox and Ashley Hanson...

I'm with you.

I agree with Whateley TBH.

Unless you want to try out one our assistant coaches, I don't
see the benefit of a midseason sacking.

I can understand the other viewpoint in doing it now.

I just don't agree with it.
Simpson will keep playing the same players in the same positions executing the same gameplay.

Someone new might try new things.
Who knows, maybe Chesser is more than a 6 possession per game player, Rotham can actually football if he's not 3rd tall down back and the MC is capable of selecting a balanced side.

I agree with what you have said here.

I was really hoping Simmo could turn thins around this year. Since the bye it seems that he has fallen into the trap of backing a more experienced team and lost his way over young player development (barring Gaff of course).

Schofield saying that West Coast not having a stable list manager over the last few years has let Simmo down as it has been hard to execute purposeful list planning etc... If true, that's on West Coast and needs to be rectified ASAP.

Reckons we are looking at Jamie Graham, Dean Cox and Ashley Hanson...

Let’s name the 3 ex-West Coast players currently in senior assistant roles at other clubs

Stellar journalism

My understanding is Caro is just guessing at best considering she was sure we'd bin Simmo previously and we didn't. Oooh really going out on a limb too suggesting we might be looking at ex-players.

100%

It's like seeing a storm cloud and saying it's likely to rain.

Bravo Caro, this is top level investigative journalism.

Thought Caro was pretty balanced in that clip, and Kane was spot on too. Was a mistake letting him go on this year

But those clips really need a floggo McClure warning on them. Why is he even there?
Nope it was not. Imagine if we continued the melb form we would have looked like geniuses.

It was worth a shot to extend him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back