Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Staying for 2024, Lyon’s Cryin’

Will Simpson be Head Coach at WCE in 2024

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would take Jarrad Schofield in a heartbeat.

The club has taken an absolute hit in the last 2 years - they won’t be spending any more money than necessary for a few years yet. Especially if things are lean on-field too.

Absolute rubbish. The opposite is true. We now have the capability to outbid everyone we want. We would have given Schofield a pay rise while Port are asking staff to take pay cuts.

Absolute rubbish. The opposite is true. We now have the capability to outbid everyone we want. We would have given Schofield a pay rise while Port are asking staff to take pay cuts.

How is the opposite true?

Be realistic. How much money do you think has come into the club in 2021 compared to previous seasons?

A massive chunk of the funds from the 2020 memberships have been put towards 2021. They’ve lost numerous game day takings completely and have played the other games in front of lower crowds than previous years.

The club will be spending the next 5 years rebuilding their wealth - they aren’t going broke but this is not the time that businesses throw around money on luxury taxes as the poster suggested.

In regards to our "taking a hit" in the financial stakes, we are the single most profitable sporting club in Australia, that is a fact.

Only a club like ours would actually come to the members cap in hand asking for some extra money due to "hard times"

I suppose this is how the rich (us), stay rich 😂

In regards to our "taking a hit" in the financial stakes, we are the single most profitable sporting club in Australia, that is a fact.

Only a club like ours would actually come to the members cap in hand asking for some extra money due to "hard times"

Sure but I imagine every single sporting club in the country took a pretty big hit this past year or so

It is indeed.

There will be grumblings in a few months time when people realise the games they weren’t able to attend in 2021 (Dogs, Fremantle) aren’t going to be immediately credited to their 2022 Memberships. That’ll teach them to read their emails.

The Eagles have been probably the leagues most conservative club for the last 30 years. They retain players, the coaches are long tenured, they’ve had the same CEO for 20+ years and no board unrest playing out publicly.

They ain’t throwing around cash during the pandemic to attract assistant coaches and pay additional on the soft cap. It just won’t happen.

The club has taken an absolute hit in the last 2 years - they won’t be spending any more money than necessary for a few years yet. Especially if things are lean on-field too.
Last year for sure, but this year not so much. Apart from the two games where crowds were locked out, WCE have benefitted from 50 000 fully paid up members every game (even if it was a pathetic time slot such as a bloody Monday night and many fans couldn't get there).

Wait was Dylan82 once interviewed for the Brisbane Lions head coach position?

surely get him in as our midfield coach

Haha no, Voss was keen to get me involved with their conditioning team in a professional sense due to my background in both data and athletics.

Outside of that it was more like the Seinfeld episode where Kramer gets a job - at the time I was living across the street from the Gabba, so just kept turning up everyday.

Made myself noticed by finding out where and when the club were doing their 3km time trial. Watched the front runners finish in just over 9 minutes, averaging around 74-75 seconds per 400m. As soon as the players were off the track and sitting around recovering I went onto it and started nailing out 400s at 72 second pace - 25 in total, completing 10km in exactly 29:59.

It was a very cocky move, but it certainly had the desired effect. Found out later that it was the first time that anyone there had witnessed a sub-30 10km.

Haha no, Voss was keen to get me involved with their conditioning team in a professional sense due to my background in both data and athletics.

Outside of that it was more like the Seinfeld episode where Kramer gets a job - at the time I was living across the street from the Gabba, so just kept turning up everyday.

Made myself noticed by finding out where and when the club were doing their 3km time trial. Watched the front runners finish in just over 9 minutes, averaging around 74-75 seconds per 400m. As soon as the players were off the track and sitting around recovering I went onto it and started nailing out 400s at 72 second pace - 25 in total, completing 10km in exactly 29:59.

It was a very cocky move, but it certainly had the desired effect. Found out later that it was the first time that anyone there had witnessed a sub-30 10km.
Dylan82=Andrew Gaff

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jesus - was that 10km in one go or were you having a rest at the end of each 400m? That's serious pace either way.

Might get this account nuked. For making me feel inadequate as I eat this block of chocolate 🍫 🤤

Is there any reason given the wealth of our club we don’t just go stuff it and bite the bullet on the soft cap and pay the 75% extra in the dollar over that e.g. 500,000 + $375,000 (soft cap tax) to get the staff we want?
Because that is a huge amount of money to cough up.

When the footy department cap was mooted I had no drama's with it, but 75% is way over the top. 20-30% is more than a sufficient penalty tax for clubs to pay. And I imagine we'd be quite happy to pay $200K-$300K a year in "tax" on our $1M overspend.

Has anyone ever seen Dylan82 and Chris Masten in the same room?

Jesus - was that 10km in one go or were you having a rest at the end of each 400m? That's serious pace either way.

Yeah one shot, same constant pace like a metronome. Could have gone faster that day but wanted to make a statement in that I was appearing to do it without much effort.

At the time was considering whether I would genuinely give it a shot for London 2012 qualification after missing out on Athens and Beijing through injury, and was churning out over 150km each week, so 10km by itself was pretty comfortable (it isn't so much anymore however).

All of my music was categorised by beats per minute with playlists tailored to sync with the necessary cadence for running at specific tempos.

Even today the muscle-memory of clocking at certain paces remains.

One benefit was I suddenly gained access to an array of high-performance testing that I had hardly encountered before; turns out that my VO2 max is well below what would be expected, but my lactate threshold and max heart rate capabilities are both at ridiculous levels. The first time I did testing at UQ, it was aborted because my heart rate exceeded whatever limit was within the program, making it come to the conclusion that I was about to enter cardiac arrest. I had an old, gnarly Polar chest strap and watch for heart rate tracking, but generally assumed that its figures were more of a guideline than accurate. Turned out they were true - max heart rate was determined to be just under 220 beats per minute, leading to the oft-repeated joke each time I was there that a paper was going to be written about the discovery of the mutant X gene.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back