Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Staying for 2024, Lyon’s Cryin’

Will Simpson be Head Coach at WCE in 2024

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I highly doubt anybody at WC, at any level, is thinking that last year and this year are a success.

True, but they’re less worried about the terrible on field results than they should be.

Even now, the current flurry of activity is less about the terrible on-field results and more about the negative press they’re getting.

Like I said it's just my opinion. I don't want ex players coaching us after Simmo.
Not having a go mate, I'm not THAT bothered, but I share some belief that someone completely external, as Simpson was, could be the right call.

Pyke has been out long enough that he'd be a good call, but I understand the belief that he may be a better CEO candidate given his multiple capabilities

True, but they’re less worried about the terrible on field results than they should be.

Even now, the current flurry of activity is less about the terrible on-field results and more about the negative press they’re getting.
If they are not worrying than they should be. If "not winning" becomes a thing the roll on effect with supporters, prime time viewing, Media mouths etc has the capacity to turn us into Freo in the future. Hell they will overtake us and that is concerning.

They might say that but they know the club will bounce and also that the profits are still there.
In all honesty GWS, I am not confident on us bouncing anytime soon, and personally i think it will be good for the club to take a hit. Might clean it out a little.
(now watch us beat Essendon):eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Next minute

“Reports that senior coach Adam Simpson has been asked to speak to the media at 12.30pm are inaccurate.

No such conference will take place.”

Sounded to me like he wants some actual effort from the players available

In all honesty GWS, I am not confident on us bouncing anytime soon, and personally i think it will be good for the club to take a hit. Might clean it out a little.
(now watch us beat Essendon):eek:

You know I am similar in that thinking, I have no problem with us being down the bottom but i do have a problem with how conservative and how little action there is in regards to our situation. I said two years ago the best thing ever for the club is for Freo to become the big team in town so that it gets us off our lazy going through the motions backside.

I agree. That has also been my impression.

The Fitzgerald interview where he never once acknowledged the scale and significance of the loss last weekend was troubling. He seemed to think it was just another garden variety loss that didn't mean anything more than any other loss and we would all forget about it by the next weekend.

I think the reason for it is that they believe that negative media spin about bad results is more damaging than the bad result itself (or amplifies the negative feelings about the loss for the average supporter by orders of magnitude) which will eventually result in lower crowd numbers which causes financial loss which will mean a loss of support by the WAFC for the status quo and the people advocating for the status quo. It is not that they care what the media thinks, but it is that they believe that the media coverage will affect supporter morale and therefore crowd numbers and profitability.

Next minute

“Reports that senior coach Adam Simpson has been asked to speak to the media at 12.30pm are inaccurate.

No such conference will take place.”

Well it did actually go ahead.

Not sure if feisty is quite the right word to describe it but he did push back on a couple of the journos at times

Others might disagree but I thought he again spoke pretty well - my main takeaway was that he feels there’s a plan in place that he’s determined to see through. He’s ignoring outside noise which he can’t control and he’ll be the coach until he’s not the coach. Focus is on getting better

Not sure if feisty is quite the right word to describe it but he did push back on a couple of the journos at times

Others might disagree but I thought he again spoke pretty well - my main takeaway was that he feels there’s a plan in place that he’s determined to see through. He’s ignoring outside noise which he can’t control and he’ll be the coach until he’s not the coach. Focus is on getting better

So we're working on it, we have to get better and it's disappointing.

And that they won't deviate from the plan as a knee jerk reaction and buckling to media pressure. Which I like. It coincides with McGuires comments and digging as well that we've identified problems and put plans in place.

Anyone expecting a quick fix to this is the type of person to be sucked into the BS media cycle. We're paying the price for success and not managing the soft cap as well as some clubs, particularly in terms of S&C.

And that they won't deviate from the plan as a knee jerk reaction and buckling to media pressure. Which I like. It coincides with McGuires comments and digging as well that we've identified problems and put plans in place.

Anyone expecting a quick fix to this is the type of person to be sucked into the BS media cycle. We're paying the price for success and not managing the soft cap as well as some clubs, particularly in terms of S&C.
Yeah, if you make a plan and let your fans control the narrative, you end up like Carlton has since the 90s. Constantly buckling to external pressure and so forth.

Look at Richmond, for example. Huge pressure to sack Hardwick after 3 years of finals with no wins, then not even making the 8. Changed up the game plan and got some new assistants in and won 3 flags after that.

Not saying we're going to do the same, or that Simpson will even be in the job at the end of 2025. Still, if you decide on a path, you need to follow it and not throw it in the bin off a few bad results at the start.

Changes and tweaks are fine, for sure. Throwing it in the bin constantly and starting over is idiotic.

I don't expect the average Facebook denizen to understand this though.

I agree. That has also been my impression.

The Fitzgerald interview where he never once acknowledged the scale and significance of the loss last weekend was troubling. He seemed to think it was just another garden variety loss that didn't mean anything more than any other loss and we would all forget about it by the next weekend.

I think the reason for it is that they believe that negative media spin about bad results is more damaging than the bad result itself (or amplifies the negative feelings about the loss for the average supporter by orders of magnitude) which will eventually result in lower crowd numbers which causes financial loss which will mean a loss of support by the WAFC for the status quo and the people advocating for the status quo. It is not that they care what the media thinks, but it is that they believe that the media coverage will affect supporter morale and therefore crowd numbers and profitability.
FFS Dumpster. The first time you got his name wrong I thought "typo". Now you got it wrong again......his name is Fitzpatrick. Same surname as his brother, ex-Carlton premiership captain, Mike Fitzpatrick! (also ex-Subiaco premiership player).

We aren't paying the price of success a shit show of this magnitude is due to multiple failures on multiple fronts over multiple years

At this juncture though I think its commendable for the club to turn insular, ignore everyone and keep doing all the same things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back