SA Adelaide crowned Australia's "Most Liveable City".

Remove this Banner Ad

What I'm saying is, while it's obvious why someone would go to the supermarket, I don't see why it'd be a necessity for them to be open at that time. I doubt supermarkets that are open that late really get any real traffic after about 10pm. It'd just the odd person here and there needing something specific, eg. a carton of milk, a certain ingredient, something to satisfy a particular craving. For the most part, service stations and smaller convenience stores can are sufficient for that market. I don't think anyone is planning on doing the family shopping for the week at, say, 11pm on a Tuesday night, are they? :p

Why should you pay servo prices if you don't have to?

I worked at a 24 hour Coles (right next to a 24 hour KMart) and it was not unusual to have five people with full trolley loads of shopping lined up at 11:30pm or later. On a really hot Saturday night a few years ago we had three registers open with long lines at each until 2am.

The demand is definitely there.

Supermarkets in my suburb are open until midnight on weekdays and 11pm on weekends. Why you'd need to go to the supermarket at those hours is beyond me, but the facility is there. I wouldn't imagine that exists solely where I live. Even if it's somehow unique to my area, I'm pretty sure late night shopping exists on Thursdays all around the place too.

Around the 5 KM radius of Hyde Park (which by ADL standards, is a nice suburb), most supermarkets pretty much closed at 6. People lead increasing busier lives & there is a huge demand shopping beyond traditional hours. Most developed "cities" I've been to interstate/overseas have 24/7 shopping.

Probably has as much to do with employment options/opportunities in their chosen field as anything else.

I doubt it's b/c of employment opportunities. Perth/WA's economy is booming b/c of the mining industry. ADL has Santos as it's global HQ & there is a strong job market.

The amount of ex Perth/Adelaide residents in the 20/30's here has reached epidemic porportions.

Around the 5 KM radius of Hyde Park (which by ADL standards, is a nice suburb), most supermarkets pretty much closed at 6. People lead increasing busier lives & there is a huge demand shopping beyond traditional hours. Most developed "cities" I've been to interstate/overseas have 24/7 shopping.

I doubt it's b/c of employment opportunities. Perth/WA's economy is booming b/c of the mining industry. ADL has Santos as it's global HQ & there is a strong job market.

The amount of ex Perth/Adelaide residents in the 20/30's here has reached epidemic porportions.

Seriouly mate, get off your high horse, Hyde Park is a very nice suburb by Australian standards and is pretty much comparible to areas such as Middle Park, Camberwell and Kew and shits all over Abbottsford.

The Hyde Park Supermarket (located in Hyde Park) closes at 9pm. Sure it's not 24/7, but a little later than the 6pm your rather embellished little story took.

Seriouly mate, get off your high horse, Hyde Park is a very nice suburb by Australian standards and is pretty much comparible to areas such as Middle Park, Camberwell and Kew and shits all over Abbottsford.

The Hyde Park Supermarket (located in Hyde Park) closes at 9pm. Sure it's not 24/7, but a little later than the 6pm your rather embellished little story took.

I haven't been there since 07' so things must have changed.

It is a nice suburb but it has nothing on the likes of Camberwell, Kew or Hawthorn. You compare everything (i.e. Schools, shopping strips, closeness to everything) & it's not even comparable.

$680 K (it's latest median) would lucky to get you into a 2 bedroom townhouse/apt in those suburbs. I'd much rather live in Glenleg, which is pretty much comparable to Port Melbourne, than Hyde Park.

It is a nice suburb but it has nothing on the likes of Camberwell, Kew or Hawthorn. You compare everything (i.e. Schools, shopping strips, closeness to everything) & it's not even comparable.

$680 K (it's latest median) would lucky to get you into a 2 bedroom townhouse/apt in those suburbs. I'd much rather live in Glenleg, which is pretty much comparable to Port Melbourne, than Hyde Park.

As someone who has lived in Adelaide all their life, Hyde Park > Glenelg for me. Glenelg is severely overrated IMO. You're literally 5 minutes from the centre of the city in Hyde Park, so if you need more than what's already in the suburb (nice little cafe/shopping strip down King William Road), then you've got everything you need in town. It's a more peaceful and better looking area than Glenelg too.

What I'm saying is, while it's obvious why someone would go to the supermarket, I don't see why it'd be a necessity for them to be open at that time. I doubt supermarkets that are open that late really get any real traffic after about 10pm. It'd just the odd person here and there needing something specific, eg. a carton of milk, a certain ingredient, something to satisfy a particular craving. For the most part, service stations and smaller convenience stores can are sufficient for that market. I don't think anyone is planning on doing the family shopping for the week at, say, 11pm on a Tuesday night, are they? :p

Meat racks during school holidays.

Misleading info is misleading. Median house prices fluctuate wildly. Last months (November) the median house price for Hyde Park was $1,510,000. The last recorded sale, earlier this month was for over $2 mill. We all know Adelaide prices are cheaper than Melbourne's, especially since the ridiculous boom you guys went through over the last 12- 24 months, so you'd be pretty safe to say that at those prices in Adelaide, you're getting quality housing in a quality area.

....You compare everything (i.e. Schools, shopping strips, closeness to everything) & it's not even comparable....

Huh? Walford Girls school is in Hyde Park, Annesley is in the next suburb, Scotch and Pultney Grammar are 5 minutes away, Pembroke, Saints, Seymour and PAC might take you 15 minutes in traffic.

Hyde Park is smack between King William and Unley Roads. Boutiques and restaurants everywhere. Every second car parked along there is a Beamer, Merc or Audi...

Hyde Park is about 3km's from the GPO.....

Are you sure you've been to Hyde Park?

Misleading info is misleading. Median house prices fluctuate wildly. Last months (November) the median house price for Hyde Park was $1,510,000.

http://www.domain.com.au/public/suburbprofile.aspx?mode=buy&suburb=Hyde Park&postcode=5061

Posting 1 month is rather selective IMV.

We all know Adelaide prices are cheaper than Melbourne's, especially since the ridiculous boom you guys went through over the last 12- 24 months, so you'd be pretty safe to say that at those prices in Adelaide, you're getting quality housing in a quality area.

Boom or bust, Hawthorn, Kew & Camberwell have pretty much been plus $900 K for years.

Huh? Walford Girls school is in Hyde Park, Annesley is in the next suburb, Scotch and Pultney Grammar are 5 minutes away, Pembroke, Saints, Seymour and PAC might take you 15 minutes in traffic

There are about 15 elite private schools within the Camberwell, Hawthorn & Kew areas. Absolutely no travelling time. You also have a University in one of those suburbs, again, no travelling time.

Hyde Park is about 3km's from the GPO

It means little, given the CBD & city is that small. As for the Melbourne suburbs in question, you can drive 10 minutes to say Chapel Street (not that I'd like to go there), 5 minutes to Brunswick Street, 10 minutes to Chadstone (not that I'd like to go there) or 10 minutes to the CBD. It's central to everything.

I don't mind Adelaide & it's a nice & relaxed town with it's own charms. It's just that it's a glorified Geelong or Ballarat, again, nothing to have a chip about. The whole liveable city is misleading, it's different strokes for different folks.

Gee when was the last time you went out in Adelaide?! :confused:

ok mate im obviously wrong then...

so tell me how many clubs (and name them)are full and pumping on a Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and even Friday in this wild city..tell me since u know.

you made your little ****wit/smart arse comment now back it up with some facts.

ok mate im obviously wrong then...

so tell me how many clubs (and name them)are full and pumping on a Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and even Friday in this wild city..tell me since u know.

you made your little ****wit/smart arse comment now back it up with some facts.

That "mate" is a she, y'know?

Seriously, arguing about schools and such within an area of Adelaide vs. Melbourne is like playing tennis against a wall, completely ****ing pointless. Melbourne has what, 4 times the population? OBVIOUSLY there be will more schools to choose from. OBVIOUSLY. I don't like caps but jesus christ....are you guys for real

Newsflash, London and New York have more good schools than Melbourne. Wow...who woulda thought ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

wednesday u have one place... which is good if u r 16-20. heaven.

The Holdy out at Glenelg is pretty good on a Wednesday night.

Much rather that over HQ (Heaven is on Pulteney street now, I haven't actually been there yet).

How about a supporting argument? :confused:

Yeah sorry, pretty poor on my part.

You guys can't swim at the beach at all can you? Too many crocs I heard. We've got a lagoon on the waterfront, and a dozen beaches to choose from. The reef, the rainforest, daintree, cape tribulation, port douglas, palm cove, parks, creeks, waterfalls, mountain walking paths & lookouts, tropical zoo, botanical gardens, free esplanade fitness classes, festivals, outdoor cinema, public barbecues, street performers, esplanade boardwalk, night markets, plus all the benefits you mentioned that Darwin has too.

Huh? Walford Girls school is in Hyde Park, Annesley is in the next suburb, Scotch and Pultney Grammar are 5 minutes away, Pembroke, Saints, Seymour and PAC might take you 15 minutes in traffic.

No love for CBC, SAC, Concordia or Cabra? All closer to Hyde Park than the last four you mentioned, even if they don't quite match them in snob/elite factor :p

Either way, Hyde Park is IMO a fantastic suburb, central to everything you could want while still having that quiet suburban feel. I'd love to live there.

Yeah sorry, pretty poor on my part.

You guys can't swim at the beach at all can you? Too many crocs I heard. We've got a lagoon on the waterfront, and a dozen beaches to choose from. The reef, the rainforest, daintree, cape tribulation, port douglas, palm cove, parks, creeks, waterfalls, mountain walking paths & lookouts, tropical zoo, botanical gardens, free esplanade fitness classes, festivals, outdoor cinema, public barbecues, street performers, esplanade boardwalk, night markets, plus all the benefits you mentioned that Darwin has too.

Fair enough.

The reason why we don't swim at the beaches is the Box Jellyfish not the crocs but that's only in the wet season.

Must admit the buildup is fairly horrible in August and September, stinking hot 33-35 degrees with no rain.

Longrasser aboriginies drinking in public ain't that nice but what can you do when they banned drinking everywhere else in the outback?? :(

I think you make a compelling argument, enough to make me want to visit. :thumbsu:

It's gotta be better than everywhere south of the tropics :p

SA Adelaide crowned Australia's "Most Liveable City".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back