Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Both AFL clubs are short of a buck yet everyone here seems to be about getting more/paying less.

Are the clubs better off at Adelaide Oval OR is that still unknown?

If you believe the propaganda being released by the SMA - the 2 AFL clubs should be better of by approximately $4 to $5 million dollars a year. However, until everything is said and done and the profit and loss statements have been published, I doubt anyone can actually say.

I think the 2 clubs will be better off but they will just spend it on something else or some other project, meaning they won't be any different to new.

Love the photo.

Was this taken from top of the RAH?

Nah... my guess is from one of the tall buildings on Grenfell Street closer to Hindmarsh square... with my Sherlock hat on (Myer Centre and roof top driving range in top left quadrant) :)

Capture_zps85ec8d8d.jpg

http://sanfl.com.au/news/sanfl_news/2052/

Why has the Adelaide Oval Ultimate Membership product been withdrawn?The SMA undertook research into the Ultimate Membership product and the overwhelming feedback was that people wanted it to be fully transferable for the football season.

The SANFL is currently in discussions with the AFL clubs around football membership products and full details of this will be released shortly.

Hash tag #Adelaideoval on Instagram to get lots of instant construction updates from the workers out there!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369953015.912852.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369953015.912852.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 53
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369953030.574935.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369953030.574935.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 61
Have to say as a bit of a cricket traditionalist, it's sad to see the end of the old Adelaide Oval but it's easy for me to say that watching one test a year 10,000 miles away on Sky Sports. It's great for footy and sport that Adelaide will get a first class sporting venue in the heart of the city and I look forward to Port and the Crows playing there next season. It won't be the Adelaide Oval of old (will we go to drop-ins like the MCG??) but by the looks of things, it will retain a lot of the old character (like Trent Bridge and will not be as soulless as the Gabba comes across on TV).

Nah... my guess is from one of the tall buildings on Grenfell Street closer to Hindmarsh square... with my Sherlock hat on (Myer Centre and roof top driving range in top left quadrant) :)

Capture_zps85ec8d8d.jpg

Close my dear boy, very close, but your photo is a little dated and your angle is a little off.

Football media centre

Yeah had a tour of Adelaide Oval in February (only me and my cricket hating girlfriend on the tour), and went right throughout the new Members stand. They have great rooms for the players with all the latest gear but they neglected to put coaches boxes and a commentary position in the stand. Docklands all over again. A slight oversight there...hopefully they fix the back of the rest of the stands while they are at it so the rain doesn't come through that gap.

You may note the extensive work going on here. What do you think they are up to?

That stand was designed and built before the afl playing there was a twinkle in vlads eye. Unfortunately they weren't soothsayers and went ahead without the coaches boxes and side on media facilities. Typical adelaide, no foresight. :confused:

That stand was designed and built before the afl playing there was a twinkle in vlads eye. Unfortunately they weren't soothsayers and went ahead without the coaches boxes and side on media facilities. Typical adelaide, no foresight. :confused:

If the stand was built before the AFL playing there was a twinkle in vlad's eye, as you put it, why would they put those facilities in, which at the time would not have been necessary. At least it's easy enough to retrofit without it looking as tacky as the coaches boxes at Etihad.

This is the biggest irk for me re the upgrade. People forget or don't know that the western stand was built as a cricket stand at a cricket ground, by cricket for cricket. So it was built to be most effective in summer, when the need was for shade and ventilation.
When the stand was built, the only footy to be played there was SANFL. The facilities for that level were already better than at the suburban grounds.
The retrofitting of the Western stand is the only way to make it up to AFL standard.

That said, I always figured that the cricket players' viewing rooms could be set-up as coaches boxes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the stand was built before the AFL playing there was a twinkle in vlad's eye, as you put it, why would they put those facilities in, which at the time would not have been necessary. At least it's easy enough to retrofit without it looking as tacky as the coaches boxes at Etihad.

Bruce, i know you've had a tough weekend after been humiliated by sydney. I also thought the last couple of sentences of that post had enough contradiction and sarcasm to survive the internet. obviously not.

Bruce, i know you've had a tough weekend after been humiliated by sydney. I also thought the last couple of sentences of that post had enough contradiction and sarcasm to survive the internet. obviously not.

What the hell does that have to do with Adelaide Oval. If all you're capable off is pathetic childish personal attacks, then bugger off to Bay 13.

This is the biggest irk for me re the upgrade. People forget or don't know that the western stand was built as a cricket stand at a cricket ground, by cricket for cricket. So it was built to be most effective in summer, when the need was for shade and ventilation.
When the stand was built, the only footy to be played there was SANFL. The facilities for that level were already better than at the suburban grounds.
The retrofitting of the Western stand is the only way to make it up to AFL standard.

That said, I always figured that the cricket players' viewing rooms could be set-up as coaches boxes.

You've got a point there, right on the wing with direct access to the rooms, they'd be crazy not to use them as coaches boxes.

What the hell does that have to do with Adelaide Oval. If all you're capable off is pathetic childish personal attacks, then bugger off to Bay 13.

ok, point missed totally.

smh :rolleyes:

I was having a go at carls12 not adelaide, the sarcasm is dripping. you've totally misinterpreted the original post and now gone off into the scenery. I thought you had missed the point of the original post due to a tough weekend, that's all. but given the reply maybe you just don't get it at all. ever.o_O

and bruce if i wanted to indulge in childish personal attacks it would be much more pointed and vicious than anything i've ever written on bigfooty.

You've got a point there, right on the wing with direct access to the rooms, they'd be crazy not to use them as coaches boxes.

I don't think they're using the cricket change rooms for AFL though. The Crows/Port will be using a new facility.

The new coaches boxes are going to be either side of the cricket viewing areas anyway - hence the work either side of it. Given the one on the northern side appears to be covering what was the third umpires room, I suspect one of them will double over as the third umpires room for cricket (ala how the MCG uses the coaches boxes in summer).

Why can't the coaches boxes be built in the Eastern stand?

Back in the 1990's, around the time the Crows started discussing building there original club rooms, there was some talk about building coaches boxes on the Eastern side of AAMI stadium. However the reason given for not going ahead with this development was the sun setting over the Western Side of AAMI stadium and the glare the coaches would get during late afternoon and early evening games.

I guess the same reasons would/could apply.

Back in the 1990's, around the time the Crows started discussing building there original club rooms, there was some talk about building coaches boxes on the Eastern side of AAMI stadium. However the reason given for not going ahead with this development was the sun setting over the Western Side of AAMI stadium and the glare the coaches would get during late afternoon and early evening games.

I guess the same reasons would/could apply.

True - the visitors coaches box at Simonds Stadium has this problem - they had to retrofit some shades to the Hickey stand after the first couple of games played where the visitors used the Hickey Stand facilities. Even with the western stand being far bigger at Adelaide Oval, they wouldn't completely stop the glare.

What I'd have done is set up the coaches' boxes in the viewing rooms, then make the walkway downstairs in front of the changerooms connect to the southern stand changerooms so they don't even have to venture outside if it's wet. Still could do it with the new-built ones anyway I guess, they'd have rear access from a similar part of the stand.

Its a shame that it couldn't have been fully ready for the ASHES. Just to ease the fears of cricket traditionalists, a packed out ASHES crowd unveiling to a world audience would have been awesome.

Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back