Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

As in for cricket?
I doubt that, doesn't go the entire width of the pitch area.
If there's a game playing off one of the wider pitches, this wont cover it.
It's weird.

I can't see what else it would be? The simplest way to do retractable nets would be with telescopic poles, and I don't think they'd need foundations that substantial.

I'm guessing that the concrete is a foundation for a bracket with rails/tracks which the sight screen will sit on, with the rails probably extending out slightly on either side of the concrete base.

This redevelopment is so exciting for our city. Cant wait for next year. I think I may ride down there today for a look. The hill is still open for anyone to meander around I would expect?

This redevelopment is so exciting for our city. Cant wait for next year. I think I may ride down there today for a look. The hill is still open for anyone to meander around I would expect?
It is on weekdays, don't know about weekends but if they're working there I'd assume so.

The new concrete slab behind the goal, I'm undecided. It's probably for the behind the goal nets as seen at the MCG, but it doesn't cover the whole area behind the goals. It stops about 2 metres from each behind post. If it were 3-4 metres longer on each end i'd instantly say it's for a retractable net, but I'm unsure. Not sure on what else it could be though.

Tried to sneak into elsewhere on the field, but after 30m someone saw me and made me leave :(
Thinking it's a sight-screen area

That's what I thought it was for. It has the section in the middle for the sightscreen to move across in.

I still don't follow?

If you sit high enough in the Southern Stand, then perhaps the lower part of the stand will block off the view to the southern goal square.

If you sit high enough in the Southern Stand, then perhaps the lower part of the stand will block off the view to the southern goal square.
Sorry, to clarify:
The concrete they've laid between the fence and what we assume to be 1m back from where the goal posts will be assists in making the goalsquare visible from the top of the stand?
The goals are no closer/further from the fence than any other AFL venue by my estimation.
I think the concrete is a foundation for a sightscreen - and may not even be one at the Southern end as I think the "indednted" bit of the 2nd tier of the stand is where the screen will go. AO puts white/black shadecloth over the area needed to be covered anyway so the sightscreen is purely for advertising.
Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Looking at the virtual venue it looks like they will fill in the gap between the members stand and the northern seating bowl, which was the access point for the drop in pitch transporter. I have a feeling that this is the reason for what is thought to be the opposition race being substantially larger than both the port and crows races. I think the south-east corner will be the access point for the pitch transporter post development.

That has been bugging me for a while so its nice to finally have a reason for it!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I keep hearing SACA members complaining that they will longer be able to see the hills...You live in Adelaide, you can always see the hills!

Typical SACA member mentality. Why would they care anyway most of them are usually out the back taking advantage of the hospitality and would therefore not see the hills from their marquee anyway.

IS there a members section here? Do they have an arrangements with the MCC? 1 yes 2 probably
Does anyone think the capacity should of been that little bit bigger, Grand Final there one day. lol, it would need to be double it's new capacity to hold a GF and the capacity seems fine based on the crowds in Adelaide.

Do you see it as a rival to the MCG? only if the MCG moved to adelaide or the AO moved to melbourne which given their size seems highly unlikely.

Does Adelaide move ahead of Perth and Sydney now as having the second best venues for football? um, Subi is a pile of shit, almost anything is ahead of perth for the moment including AAMI. and, yes, the AO should be a very comfy place to watch cricket and footy, whether it's better than Sydney, Brisbane, Geelong, etc? probably, it will certainly be the newest and should be the most up to date.

see red bits

IS there a members section here? Do they have an arrangements with the MCC?
Does anyone think the capacity should of been that little bit bigger, Grand Final there one day.

Do you see it as a rival to the MCG?
Does Adelaide move ahead of Perth and Sydney now as having the second best venues for football?

Now that is SA thinking:
Does Adelaide move ahead of Perth and Sydney now as having the second best venues for football?

;)

From a cricket perspective (regular test cricket venue), The Adelaide Oval is now the second biggest cricket stadium in Australia. From a Footy perspective it will be the 4th biggest capacity venue (until Perth gets it's new stadium), but I'd suspect it could challenge number 1 in terms of facilities/viewing.

I keep hearing SACA members complaining that they will longer be able to see the hills...You live in Adelaide, you can always see the hills!

I'm a SACA member and I don't know anyone that's said this??? Nothing but hearsay in my opinion. If there are some that think this, I'm sure their only a tiny minority and probably a few old timer/die hards? Just remember, if the majority of the SACA members didn't vote in favour, then there's a very good chance this redevelopment never would have happened...

Papa G said:
From a cricket perspective (regular test cricket venue), The Adelaide Oval is now the second biggest cricket stadium in Australia. From a Footy perspective it will be the 4th biggest capacity venue (until Perth gets it's new stadium), but I'd suspect it could challenge number 1 in terms of facilities/viewing.

I would suspect that at some stage, the northern mound will get a stand, similar to the southern stand which would take seated capacity to over 60,000. Eventually the old scoreboard will end up somewhere like Gliderol Stadium given that's where the SACA seems to favour playing their first class games that aren't played at Adelaide.

Right now, I am not sure whether or not I would prefer to keep the northern end as it currently is or enclose the stadium properly, given that the "old world charm" is largely gone now. If nothing else it leaves plenty of room for expansion should it be required in the future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back