Preview 2024 Round 14 Adelaide v Sydney - Adelaide Oval

Would you participate in a poll if we added one?

• No

Votes: 26 45.6%
  • yes

Votes: 31 54.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Functioning is different from good though.
McDonald can go function in the ressies a week or two and learn to take more contested grabs IMO. Build his confidence in what is THE key skill of his position and one he is basically invisible at.

It's all well and good running back and forward all day and getting a few cheapies as a result, yes it helps the team...structure...blah blah blah, but you've also got to be able to mark the bloody footy and kick goals from those marks to be a good KPF.

McDonald can go function in the ressies a week or two and learn to take more contested grabs IMO. Build his confidence in what is THE key skill of his position and one he is basically invisible at.

It's all well and good running back and forward all day and getting a few cheapies as a result, yes it helps the team...structure...blah blah blah, but you've also got to be able to mark the bloody footy and kick goals from those marks to be a good KPF.

Glad you aren't the coach

Each to their own of course, finally think the 3 talls are working together.
Mids could lower the eyes sometimes , none of the key forwards are perfect , but they clearly play the role asked.

Mclean was a bit down , but I thought Logan played a key role getting us going.

I think it's interesting that we're 11-1, two games + percentage clear on top of the ladder, beaten much better sides with far more weapons than Adelaide, yet so much of the focus in here is about the Crows players we need to stop.
Any game at AO worries me.
They get a run on. Partisan crowd. Rimming from the umps.

Any game at AO worries me.
They get a run on. Partisan crowd. Rimming from the umps.

That is why it is CRUCIAL to start well we can't be half ready at the start of the game like we were last week and concede 3+ goals, might get away with it against Geelong at home, we won't against Adelaide away. Star well and take the crowd out of the game

The focus the coaches clearly have on starting well I think is going to suit us well this week. We've been slow out of the blocks now for a while but this club has over the years tended to bunker down and take to travelling well. Taking an "us against them" attitude on the road has been a consistent part of how we have played away, particularly outside of Victoria.

I reckon the coaches will be driving a fast start very hard this week in hostile territory against a side that will be gearing themselves to give us a stern test. I'm sure there will be a bit of extra vigour after what happened late last year and the crowd will have convinced themselves that if not for that decision, they'd be flag fancies now as they rightfull ought to be. They're that delusional, Crows fans.

Will be a good test that I think we will pass in a tight one. Reckon we'll win by 1-2 goals.

The focus the coaches clearly have on starting well I think is going to suit us well this week. We've been slow out of the blocks now for a while but this club has over the years tended to bunker down and take to travelling well. Taking an "us against them" attitude on the road has been a consistent part of how we have played away, particularly outside of Victoria.

I reckon the coaches will be driving a fast start very hard this week in hostile territory against a side that will be gearing themselves to give us a stern test. I'm sure there will be a bit of extra vigour after what happened late last year and the crowd will have convinced themselves that if not for that decision, they'd be flag fancies now as they rightfull ought to be. They're that delusional, Crows fans.

Will be a good test that I think we will pass in a tight one. Reckon we'll win by 1-2 goals.

IF we start well and that's the big query we are a 3-4 goal better side even away from home. They have too many of their mids down this year. However I'm very nervous we'll start flat and make it harder for ourselves. We just need to be even after the first quarter and not 20+ points down.

IMO our next loss will be against whoever figures out our forward structure.

Our mids often getting so much space in and around the forward 50 is not a fluke or a happy accident. It's all by design.

But even then I think we have the talent and caliber of players to be able to adjust and revert to a more traditional forward line if forced into it.

Our mids often getting so much space in and around the forward 50 is not a fluke or a happy accident. It's all by design.

But even then I think we have the talent and caliber of players to be able to adjust and revert to a more traditional forward line if forced into it.

GWS in two weeks I think is a prime game for us to get got. They've been just going the past few months and, to me, would relish a BIG game against their rivals that they've historically taken pleasure in upsetting to get the back half of their season up and running like last year. They've got a backline that can do what you're saying and a midfield that is big and good enough to go with us at their absolute best. Reckon they'll be getting themselves up for that game in a big way - I don't think it'll result in them being proper flag contenders this year but it'll make them pleased with themselves for a few weeks.

great idea! make unnecessary changes to a team that's won eight on the trot and sits at 11-1
you tried to deflect the other day, but your low opinion of mcdonald now has you spouting this nonsense

GWS in two weeks I think is a prime game for us to get got. They've been just going the past few months and, to me, would relish a BIG game against their rivals that they've historically taken pleasure in upsetting to get the back half of their season up and running like last year. They've got a backline that can do what you're saying and a midfield that is big and good enough to go with us at their absolute best. Reckon they'll be getting themselves up for that game in a big way - I don't think it'll result in them being proper flag contenders this year but it'll make them pleased with themselves for a few weeks.

I agree actually, have that one circled as one we may drop, if we don't maybe the Carlton one away, assuming that's still to come.

I think it's interesting that we're 11-1, two games + percentage clear on top of the ladder, beaten much better sides with far more weapons than Adelaide, yet so much of the focus in here is about the Crows players we need to stop.

great point, and i thought about making it too
yes, they have some great players ... their best used to be ours ... but let them worry about stopping us

All valid scenarios or we may not lose another game :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did like putting Cyggy on a lead in the goal square , think he can out mark claude crow and his scarf is handy to stop an opponent .

Last edited:
Glad you aren't the coach

Each to their own of course, finally think the 3 talls are working together.
Mids could lower the eyes sometimes , none of the key forwards are perfect , but they clearly play the role asked.

Mclean was a bit down , but I thought Logan played a key role getting us going.
To think our KP forwards can't be improved on because our midfield is winning games is absolutely ludicrous IMO.

I'm not asking them to sell their first born, merely go back a level and learn how to take grabs and kick a few.
It is important for young players development and confidence to do so rather than run around like a headless chook providing a decoy for others in the first team.

To think our KP forwards can't be improved on because our midfield is winning games is absolutely ludicrous IMO.

I'm not asking them to sell their first born, merely go back a level and learn how to take grabs and kick a few.
It is important for young players development and confidence to do so rather than run around like a headless chook providing a decoy for others in the first team.

This isn't about asking them to improve , we ask that of every player absolutely.

Your suggestion and comments were two fold.

1- Logan is not doing enough - I disagree

2- Logan should be dropped and develop in the reserves- again I disagree .

I agree he should keep working and evolve , but I think his season is a tick so far in terms of role and development and it's a non issue. But each to their own , we don't have to agree.

He current does go for marks, creates opportunities and kicks a few goals he's in the top 25 in the comp for goals for instance. Is he a superstar right now, no, but to suggest he isn't doing enough and it's some issue is odd.

The suggestion he is running around like a headless chook is just plain wrong in my view , watch a bit closer I reckon.

Last edited:
great idea! make unnecessary changes to a team that's won eight on the trot and sits at 11-1
you tried to deflect the other day, but your low opinion of mcdonald now has you spouting this nonsense
h its mindboggling really , thank god he's not coaching us

He might learn to mark the football. He might learn to lead his defender into space.
He might learn to bring the ball to ground when he is out of position in a contest.
He might learn not to go for the same pack mark as the other two KPFs we have and instead take his defender away from that contest and provide an option should we win the ball at ground level.

Cause he can't do any of that at present.

:think: Checks out...

:think: Checks out...
Yes it does.
A good KPF can and does do both. He'd be good enough to command the ball when in position to - and then take the grab, and then know when he isn't and peel away to create space for the person that is.

Basic full forward play in other words.

People coming to the defense of two guys obviously not in form is bizzare.
O goals 1 behind and 3 marks on 87% game time and somehow he's un droppable? Because.....reasons.

Fecking absurd.
Y'all would be good in a cult. Or maybe as zombies.

Yes it does.
A good KPF can and does do both. He'd be good enough to command the ball when in position to - and then take the grab, and then know when he isn't and peel away to create space for the person that is.

O goals 1 behind and 3 marks on 87% game time and somehow he's un droppable? Because.....reasons.

Fecking absurd.

He isn't playing full forward . Just look at the heat map or watch the game even if you have some time.

Yes it does.

Fecking absurd.
We’re two games clear of the next team, with a game in hand, we’ve got a phenomenal percentage, and we’re cracking the ton in most games. We have 8-10 goal kickers every week. We have won 11 games out of 12 and only lost the other by 5 points.

So yeah, better drop a couple of key forwards.

Yes it does.

Fecking absurd.
Would I like our KPFs to be clunking big pack marks and kicking goals? Of course I would! The fact of the matter is that our three KPFs consist of a rookie elevation, a pre-season supplemental draftee and, the youngest of the lot, a top 10 draft pick.

The fact also is that our entire game plan is currently built around those limitations by allowing our midfielders to completely ignore them when coming out of the centre and simply kick over their heads for goal. In addition, our KPFs move a long way down the ground to allow this to happen as well. It is a planned strategy, not a drawback. If Logan (for example) was to drop down to the reserves then what would he learn? How to outposition or outmark an AFL-quality defender? No, that is only done by playing against them. Sure, he's not beating them now but it is only a matter of time before he starts to - and those pack marks may come once he has had another pre-season or two to put on more bulk, or they may never come because he may not be that player. Either way, a spell in the 2s won't help him at all.

Zombies? Cult? Or maybe people who don't agree with you may have had a lot more experience with age and have seen it before?

Horse brings Logan in this week, good work this week mate, created a contest , worked up the ground, got some score involvements.

But sorry buddy you didn't take 10 pack marks and kick 5 goals like King Carey so **** off to the VFL, so I can give Hamling a run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back