Admin, Finance, Members, Ratings, Crowds, Policies - its the 2016 AFL v NRL v ARU v FFA v BBL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since we are in a section more or less dedicated to the administrative side of things, it becomes relevant at the end of the season to compare the successes and shortcomings of the leagues administration with its competitors. The AFL figures mean little by themselves in isolation.

IMPORTANT NOTES: This has been approved by the boards designated Moderator, and Bigfooty Admins. IT should not be interpreted as a, AFL v NRL free for all, nor taken as permission to start numerous AFL v NRL threads. The prohibition on AFL v NRL threads remains outside of this specific thread. Trolls will be penalised with threadbans and board bans as needed. AFL Board posting rules apply at all times.

What may be posted here: Suitable discussion consists of things with a direct comparison between the two codes - crowds, ratings, articles where both codes are mentioned, and general NRL/FFA/ARU administration stuff that is relative to the AFL. Please note that Bigfooty prohibits the wholesale reproduction of entire articles.

Note - the previous edition of this thread is contained here: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...v-nrl-moderator-approved-rules-in-op.1033254/

Gale and Cook both knocking back the NRL CEO job.

http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-leag...hief-executives-position-20160121-gmb3ul.html

Two leading AFL club chief executives have knocked back approaches from the NRL to join a shortlist of candidates for the job vacated by former rugby league boss Dave Smith.

Highly-regarded Geelong Cats boss Brian Cook and Richmond Tigers CEO Brendon Gale received separate approaches before Christmas from recruitment agency Crown & Marks, which is acting on behalf of the NRL.

2016clubmembers20012016.png

NRL are in a bit of a no-win situation with their CEO recruiting process. If they:
  • Land a big, qualified fish for a big pay cheque, their fanbase will hate him/her instantly, terrograph will paint them as being out of touch and elite as they did with Smith. LOSE
  • offer a more modest pay cheque and only attract internal candidates, public will think it's jobs for the boys and more of the same, terrograph will criticize them for not thinking big, for settling for second best, and will trudge through every single thing that person has said during their association with rugby league. LOSE
Regardless of which way they go the terrograph is going to slam them, so I say ignore them completely and just get the best person for the job. I'm not sure Grant is capable/willing to do that.

Tele will only be happy if it's one of the people that gives them direct access, i.e. Gallop, Greenburg (what a fail he has been, head of football and the tele was smashing smith over football but left toddles out of it) or that guy who was from the GC and turned out to be a huge failure (just googled it, Michael Searle).

So, does anyone know why a sold out ODI at Manuka between India and Australia only got 10k people? Why will BBL average 14k sell outs if a ODI between the 2 biggest sides can't.

I wouldn't read too much in to that. Recruitment companies pad out short lists so they can milk the client. recruiters often try and get people on to a list knowing they are no chance of getting the gig.
real estate agents of the employment market
Agreed - the article offered no quotes from anyone (except some old stuff from Grant at the end). All we got was "Fairfax Media understands..."

NRL are in a bit of a no-win situation with their CEO recruiting process. If they:
  • Land a big, qualified fish for a big pay cheque, their fanbase will hate him/her instantly, terrograph will paint them as being out of touch and elite as they did with Smith. LOSE
  • offer a more modest pay cheque and only attract internal candidates, public will think it's jobs for the boys and more of the same, terrograph will criticize them for not thinking big, for settling for second best, and will trudge through every single thing that person has said during their association with rugby league. LOSE
Regardless of which way they go the terrograph is going to slam them, so I say ignore them completely and just get the best person for the job. I'm not sure Grant is capable/willing to do that.
Looks like they might go for option two - especially if they hold to Grant's mantra that a passion and love for rugby league be a pre-requisite

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...o/news-story/cb9ed4dc6661351e439c067df2b94e18

Tele will only be happy if it's one of the people that gives them direct access, i.e. Gallop, Greenburg (what a fail he has been, head of football and the tele was smashing smith over football but left toddles out of it) or that guy who was from the GC and turned out to be a huge failure (just googled it, Michael Searle).

So, does anyone know why a sold out ODI at Manuka between India and Australia only got 10k people? Why will BBL average 14k sell outs if a ODI between the 2 biggest sides can't.
I was at the game - looked packed out to me - standing room only. I was in GA and there was no room to move. Been sold out for a few weeks so demand was definitely there. Perhaps a few Indians did not turn up because, being a best of 5 series, it was already wrapped up after game 3?

Sight screens maybe. Adelaide ovals capacity was cut by more than 4,000 to accommodate them for India v pakistan during the world cup.

I was at the game. Sight screens took up a lot of seats, but more than that was the ever-present threat of rain. And before you ask "who would buy $60 tickets to a cricket game and not go?" the answer is 'overpaid public servants'.
Public servants probably work harder than yourself

Heres the facts the sight screens would knock out a couple of thousand

Manuka Oval, also known as StarTrack Oval Canberra during Australian rules football matches for sponsorship reasons, is a13,550capacity cricket ground (however the capacity can be exceeded, 10,000 seated) located in the suburb of Griffith, adjacent to Manuka, a business district of Canberra, Australia's capital.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heres the facts the sight screens would knock out a couple of thousand

Manuka Oval, also known as StarTrack Oval Canberra during Australian rules football matches for sponsorship reasons, is a13,550capacity cricket ground (however the capacity can be exceeded, 10,000 seated) located in the suburb of Griffith, adjacent to Manuka, a business district of Canberra, Australia's capital.

Those facts appear out of date. Upgrades in 2013 boosted capacity for AFL games to 15,700, reduced to 12,500 for cricket.

Final coats of paint were being applied on Friday with additional seating bringing the ground's capacity for AFL games up to 15,700.

That is reduced to 12,500 for cricket because of seats lost for the sightscreens at either end of the ground.

Ref: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket...est-grounds-20140110-30mu5.html#ixzz3y3QdowKw

Last edited:
Mediaweek ‏@MediaweekAUS 9h9 hours ago
Fri TV #cricket #BBL05 SF2 @StarsBBL vs @ScorchersBBL metro+reg 1.18m
#AusOpen Day 5 on @Channel7: Day: 281k Night: 717k Late night: 348k

5 CRICKET: BIG BASH LEAGUE SEMI-FINAL 2 – SESSION 2 Network TEN 774,000 212,000 346,000 146,000 70,000 0
6 SEVEN’S TENNIS: 2016 AUSTRALIAN OPEN – NIGHT 5 Network Seven 717,000 183,000 275,000 122,000 62,000 75,000
7 CRICKET: BIG BASH LEAGUE SEMI-FINAL 2 – SESSION 1 Network TEN 670,000 190,000 294,000 120,000 66,000 0
20 SEVEN’S TENNIS: 2016 AUSTRALIAN OPEN – NIGHT 5 – LATE Network Seven 348,000 94,000 184,000 25,000 44,000 0

News Ltd reports indicate that there will be no new BBL sides for at least another 5 years, but that the number of games may increase, as well as further integration with the WBBL.

Also of note
  • The international quota of players would remain at two per club
  • The salary cap would remain at $1.3 million spread across 18 contracted position
  • The current $20 million per season five-year broadcast deal with Ten expires after the 2017-18 summer.
  • Some clubs were already making profits of around $1 million from the seven-week tournament.
  • Cricket Australia is continuing to diminish the financial support it feeds clubs. Everard said “once the dust settles on this season” it is likely Cricket Australia would drop its revenue contribution from 45 to about 40 per cent.

Ben Buckley & soccer come to mind.

News Ltd reports indicate that there will be no new BBL sides for at least another 5 years, but that the number of games may increase, as well as further integration with the WBBL.

Also of note
  • The international quota of players would remain at two per club
  • The salary cap would remain at $1.3 million spread across 18 contracted position
  • The current $20 million per season five-year broadcast deal with Ten expires after the 2017-18 summer.
  • Some clubs were already making profits of around $1 million from the seven-week tournament.
  • Cricket Australia is continuing to diminish the financial support it feeds clubs. Everard said “once the dust settles on this season” it is likely Cricket Australia would drop its revenue contribution from 45 to about 40 per cent.
The only other one I would call out:
  • Additional matches will be used to take the game to regional centres including Geelong, Gold Coast and Canberra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back