Admin, Finance, Members, Ratings, Crowds, Policies - its the 2016 AFL v NRL v ARU v FFA v BBL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where are you reading in the fox data the nrl leading the way anywhere? The afl has clearly gone passed the nrl on fox, despite higher penetration in nsw and qld. There are multiple afl Friday night regular season games rating higher than nrl finals on fox

The a league, and particularly the shoulder chippers and new dawners, invite such comparisons. If you don't like such comparisons, why you lurk around here so much?

Thursday night footy, see Wookies post, the AFL have taken notice?

Indeed some soccer types do invite the comparison of the A-League with other sports in Aus - I'm critical of Mr Gallop for his unrealistic prognostications. I do find comparing crowds & TV ratings directly mind numbing/cheerleading, but like Thu night footy of any code demonstrate, there are things to learn.

Last edited:
Thursday night footy, see Wookies post, the AFL have taken notice?

Indeed some soccer types do invite the comparison of the A-League with other sports in Aus - I'm critical of Mr Gallop for his unrealistic prognostications. I do find comparing crowds & TV ratings directly mind numbing/cheerleading, but like Thu night footy of any code demonstrate, there are things to learn.

Which Wookiee post? Looks like the afl outrates the nrl on Thursday nights from those tables.

The afl plays Thursday nights during the "bye" rounds. It seems to mainly play in Perth, Adelaide and sydney to preserve crowds so perhaps that is where it learnt from the nrl?

I was mocking his point. That a league is a fourth tier Comp because of the Socceroos. Apparently local comps become a lower tier if it's also played internationally
Makes NRL pretty lowly then. And bbl.

I get you were mocking it.

I'm not sure if throwing international rules into the discussion does the trick

I get you were mocking it.

I'm not sure if throwing international rules into the discussion does the trick
If the point is a league can't be top level because international play is higher, then that should be for all sports. It would make most sports in Aus not top tier (they are top tier in relation to the discussion in this thread)

The entire comparison is between the top Australian domestic leagues, end of discussion. I do not care if it's 1st 10th or 98th.

The soceroos, international rules, or what that are doing in Kazakhstan, who gives a ****, not the point.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

The entire comparison is between the top Australian domestic leagues, end of discussion. I do not care if it's 1st 10th or 98th.

The soceroos, international rules, or what that are doing in Kazakhstan, who gives a ****, not the point.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk
That was my point.

71,000+ at the MCG tonight for the BBL and 12,000 at ANZ for the A League in Sydney both played in rain.
The BBL is killing the A League for both crowds and TV ratings Any comment Freo?

I am not denying the BBLs popularity. But Could the BBL get huge ratings and Crowds like that for 30 straight weeks?

There is little argument that the BBL is getting bigger crowds + ratings than the A-League but they're so different it's hardly worth a comparison. This time next month, the circus will roll out of town and the A-League will go on. As usual.

Six weeks tournament vs a 27-week + three week finals season. Both with different goals etc and both doing well for themselves with their respective metrics targets. Finito.
exactly

Sage advice from one knows to the more teams, more, more, cohort:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-02/eddie-mcguire-warns-against-rushing-into-bbl-expansion/8157844

"I think we've got to hasten it slowly with this," McGuire told SEN radio.

"I can understand everyone getting excited about it but, again, we've seen with the expansion of the AFL, it does bring its own issues.

"We've got something pretty good at the moment and there's a few wrinkles we have to get sorted out before we get even more games."

IMHO it applies to all codes, well said Ed, hasten slowly.

BBL will kill itself if they expand the number of teams or the number of games. It's a success because it's only 35 games and in the school holidays. No way people are turning up to the MCG in mid feb in big numbers to watch Stars vs Thunder.

BBL will kill itself if they expand the number of teams or the number of games. It's a success because it's only 35 games and in the school holidays. No way people are turning up to the MCG in mid feb in big numbers to watch Stars vs Thunder.
The only way I could see expansion happening if one or two teams came on from NZ definitely not another Australian based domestic team.

The only way I could see expansion happening if one or two teams came on from NZ definitely not another Australian based domestic team.
And pigs will fly before that happens. CA are smart, they'll stick with that they have. 35 games is the right amount for the target demo the BBL is aimed at.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon the BBL could cope with two extra teams, and a six or seven week comp.

I'm sure Fox would pay a bit of money for any games clashing which don't end up on FTA.

Yep it could and probably will be expanded and extended but not by a lot, 3 weeks and 2 teams.

No Kiwi teams

Big regional areas, Cairns has Cazaly stadium, Townsville has nothing, Geelong has a good oval, same with Canberra, Newcastle and the Gong dont.

Maybe a second team for Brisbane or one which makes more sense at Metricon.

Yep it could and probably will be expanded and extended but not by a lot, 3 weeks and 2 teams.

No Kiwi teams

Big regional areas, Cairns has Cazaly stadium, Townsville has nothing, Geelong has a good oval, same with Canberra, Newcastle and the Gong dont.

I would think: Canberra, Gold Coast (as two most likely), Geelong not far behind, and Cairns is actually a good option too.

You sort of touch on a key point. The success of the BBL is fantastic for the AFL because places like Canberra will then want to invest in quality ovals. As you point out, Townsville, Newcastle and Wollongong can all forget about potential BBL franchises.

I'm also wondering if the Suns make any money out of a BBL franchise playing from there.

No Kiwi teams

So typical of the more teams brigade :thumbsdown: ... even Eddie is calling caution !!

We like the fact that people are very keen to have their own team and we've got interest from all different parts of the country; Gold Coast, Canberra, Geelong, Fremantle.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-...s-big-bash-expansion-a-mere-formality/8149410

All AFL grounds i might note, i think Freo Oval would be fantastic spot for the big bash.

Parking is an issue - sure, but the actual setting is fantastic.

Are you denying you want more clubs in the AFL, in the BBL, i.e a card carrying member of the more more cohort ?

As per usual, you are wrong, i want more teams when playing depth and facilities can cope, i don't want more teams tomorrow, but ultimately i think the AFL will end up with 20 teams, i am pretty sure that Sydney and WA will end up with 3 teams each.

If i am a card carrying member of the more teams brigade, you are the grand pooh bah that humbugs anything that represents change or growth.

James Sutherland i guess knows SFA ?

I would think: Canberra, Gold Coast (as two most likely), Geelong not far behind, and Cairns is actually a good option too.

You sort of touch on a key point. The success of the BBL is fantastic for the AFL because places like Canberra will then want to invest in quality ovals. As you point out, Townsville, Newcastle and Wollongong can all forget about potential BBL franchises.

I'm also wondering if the Suns make any money out of a BBL franchise playing from there.

Out of what i would term RL towns, perhaps Newcastle can make something happen, they have a decent Oval in the city.

I think the Suns have a year round lease, so perhaps they could make some $$.

I know there is talk on their board about it.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/future-cricket-at-metricon-stadium.998044/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back