Play Nice Admin, Finance, Members, Ratings, Crowds, Policies - Please refer to each sports own boards

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please note:

IMPORTANT NOTES: This has been approved by the boards designated Moderator, and Bigfooty Admins. IT should not be interpreted as a, AFL v NRL free for all, nor taken as permission to start numerous AFL v NRL threads. The prohibition on AFL v NRL threads remains outside of this specific thread. Trolls will be penalised with threadbans and board bans as needed. AFL Board posting rules apply at all times.

What may be posted here: Suitable discussion consists of things with a direct comparison between the two codes - crowds, ratings, articles where both codes are mentioned, and general NRL/FFA/ARU administration stuff that is relative to the AFL. Please note that Bigfooty prohibits the wholesale reproduction of entire articles.

Previous threads

Last edited:
2016-17HALRatings_R13.png

Some solid A-League numbers on Fox competing directly with the BBL on 10. Definitely haven't collapsed like last year.

Some solid A-League numbers on Fox competing directly with the BBL on 10. Definitely haven't collapsed like last year.

Difference with last year (the worst year in a long time) and this year is largely the first 5 or 6 weeks...you need to look at the bottom corner table and differences by round

I really hope the BBL expands into Canberra and Gold Coast and start the season a week earlier and finish up only a week later. Also bring the international players allowed per side to 4. This means the competition will still have the same amount of Aussies playing but also some much more high profile internationals which will help the competition.
Also if it continues to grow at the rate it is they should seriously consider not playing international matches during the last 2 or so weeks and finals and get the national players back. It would increase the credibility of the competition which is at the moment the only real thing it is lacking.

I really hope the BBL expands into Canberra and Gold Coast and start the season a week earlier and finish up only a week later. Also bring the international players allowed per side to 4. This means the competition will still have the same amount of Aussies playing but also some much more high profile internationals which will help the competition.
Also if it continues to grow at the rate it is they should seriously consider not playing international matches during the last 2 or so weeks and finals and get the national players back. It would increase the credibility of the competition which is at the moment the only real thing it is lacking.
It's easy to say it would be great with a few extra teams but you don't want the standard of the league to drop by over stretching the player talent pool. Buy adding a team or two on from NZ would open up access to players from over the Tasman and hine site improve the standard of the competition

I think Sutherland has already indicated their will be more games next year but no extra teams yet.

It's easy to say it would be great with a few extra teams but you don't want the standard of the league to drop by over stretching the player talent pool. Buy adding a team or two on from NZ would open up access to players from over the Tasman and hine site improve the standard of the competition
The problem I see with that is outside of the New Zealand international side they will battle to find another 11 quality players let alone have too many left for Australian sides to try and get.
Doubling the international players will mitigate any stretching of the talent pool. You would imagine the competition could easily double the salary cap after the next TV rights so there will be little trouble attracting quality international players

I think Sutherland has already indicated their will be more games next year but no extra teams yet.

Yeah, I reckon that's the way to go. Regional teams really wouldn't add much to the league, but I reckon people can handle extra games. The season is half gone already and it feels like it's barely started. They could comfortably start the league 2 weeks earlier and finish a week later.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree completely with Sutherland - and Eddie too. More games to make it a genuine H&A comp where every team plays each other twice. Could conceivably start a week earlier and finish a week later. Play Christmas night too - people will watch. I don't think expansion is needed - its in all the state capitals. But more games could mean some matches taken to Regional areas, e.g. Renegades taking a game or two to Geelong, Brisbane to Gold Coast, and Sydney Thunder to Canberra.

Difference with last year (the worst year in a long time) and this year is largely the first 5 or 6 weeks...you need to look at the bottom corner table and differences by round
Half way into the A-league season and there is a huge gap between the top 6 and the bottom 2 clubs

GWS membership 'concerns' from NRL.

http://www.3aw.com.au/news/gws-outgrowing-nrl-premiers-20161207-gt69y7.html

Personally i think it is not really a valid comparison to Cronulla, but to Penrith, Parramatta, Wests Tigers and Canterbury it is more relevant.
Freo in the BBL?

Victory are doing alright according to this article below. It absolutely trumps any other A-league club even the FFA lol. (Another reason why the league should move toward independence)

What I found interesting from that article through was that St.Kilda are "balance sheet insolvent" Hawthorn are bigger then Collingwood and on its way to becoming Australia's richest club! challenging the Eagles!

http://thenewdaily.com.au/sport/football/2017/01/03/melbourne-victory-profit-ffa/

Last edited:
Victory are doing alright according to this article below. It absolutely trumps any other A-league club even the FFA lol. (Another reason why the league should move toward independence)

What I found interesting from that article through was that St.KIlda are "balance sheet insolvent" Hawthorn are bigger then Collingwood and on its way to becoming Australia's richest club! challenging the Eagles!

http://thenewdaily.com.au/sport/football/2017/01/03/melbourne-victory-profit-ffa/

Actually it's a pretty silly comparison. The ffa control over 100 million in revenues and have a statutory control of the game.

St kilda might be "balance sheet insolvent" but themselves would turn over double what victory do (albeit with significant afl distributions). Victory are gold fish in minnows pond

Also, hawthorn have had a great era and a very lucrative deal with the Tasmanian government but ultimately their long term revenue streams would be less certain than collingwoods or west coasts

What I found interesting from that article through was that St.KIlda are "balance sheet insolvent" Hawthorn are bigger then Collingwood and on its way to becoming Australia's richest club! challenging the Eagles!

The article seems to infer only the Saints & Brisbane are insolvent - now that is surprising.

The article seems to infer only the Saints & Brisbane are insolvent - now that is surprising.

Presumably they are "insolvent" because they have negative net assets. They're also backed by a league that has $425million a year coming in tv revenues alone next year

Actually it's a pretty silly comparison. The ffa control over 100 million in revenues and have a statutory control of the game.

St kilda might be "balance sheet insolvent" but themselves would turn over double what victory do (albeit with significant afl distributions). Victory are gold fish in minnows pond

Also, hawthorn have had a great era and a very lucrative deal with the Tasmanian government but ultimately their long term revenue streams would be less certain than collingwoods or west coasts

I wasn't comparing pal I just thought the article showcased the Victory are doing OK for what they are in a very competitive market.

St.Kilda suprised me in being Balance sheet insolvent" maybe it has something to do with the move back to Morrabbin? I would have thought the Saints where one of the more stable clubs in Victoria.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back