Administration - The AFL v NRL *Moderator Approved* - Rules in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a one off. Warriors back in Melbourne next year, so the haters will have to find something else to bag.

You cant tell me theres nothing wrong with not being able to pull a crowd on a public holiday for a match in Australia, just because theres no New Zealand teams involved.

top20crowds21042015.png

top20crowdsnoACL21042015.png

low20crowdsnoACL21042015.png
Perth Glory with the dubious distinction of being involved in 6 of the 20 lowest crowds across all codes. Ouch, this club is in trouble.

Although Central Coast is in eight of them.

Capacity is 18,000. 1,700 seated.
Regular host for NRL and A-League Pre Season matches.
Last NRL H&A match played there in June 2013 Gold Coast v South Sydney got 16,118.

So half the crowd then at 8,700, was it raining up in Cairns ?

Don't AFL games at Cazalys get more ?

So half the crowd then at 8,700, was it raining up in Cairns ?

Don't AFL games at Cazalys get more ?
Cairns isn't rabidly rugby league. Australian football has been played up there for years. The local footy league is pretty healthy, has its fair share of ex AFL players. when I lived up there the footy clubs seemed to have more of a presence than the league clubs.
Townsville, though, is very league.

Cairns isn't rabidly rugby league. Australian football has been played up there for years. The local footy league is pretty healthy, has its fair share of ex AFL players. when I lived up there the footy clubs seemed to have more of a presence than the league clubs.

yes, i am aware of that, i was just surprised by the crowd for the NRL game up there

You cant tell me theres nothing wrong with not being able to pull a crowd on a public holiday for a match in Australia, just because theres no New Zealand teams involved.

Huh? I was simply pointing out the anti Rugby league brigade will have to find another game to poke fun at next year since this was a one off thing.

Huh? I was simply pointing out the anti Rugby league brigade will have to find another game to poke fun at next year since this was a one off thing.

And im pointing out that its ludicrous that the Storm are reliant on a team from New Zealand for a marquee match to draw more than 13,000.

yes, i am aware of that, i was just surprised by the crowd for the NRL game up there

If you've ever seen a photo of Barlow Park, you would be utterly amazed if any more than 10,000 people could fit in, and even then they'd be standing on each other's heads.

I'll save you the trouble looking it up:

887024-3bb6cc12-a508-11e4-b42c-a987c708228b.jpg

I remember Arena Joondalup was reasonably full with 10,000 people, and it's miles bigger than that place. 8000 at Barlow Park would have been shoulder to shoulder, maybe they just started reporting accurate crowds.

If you've ever seen a photo of Barlow Park, you would be utterly amazed if any more than 10,000 people could fit in, and even then they'd be standing on each other's heads.

I'll save you the trouble looking it up:

887024-3bb6cc12-a508-11e4-b42c-a987c708228b.jpg

I remember Arena Joondalup was reasonably full with 10,000 people, and it's miles bigger than that place. 8000 at Barlow Park would have been shoulder to shoulder, maybe they just started reporting accurate crowds.

What are you suggesting ?

NRL @ Barlow Park

2015 - 8,713
2014 - 11,570.
2013 - 16,118

Capacity ...18,000 according to wiki, record attendance was 20,000 in 2004

And im pointing out that its ludicrous that the Storm are reliant on a team from New Zealand for a marquee match to draw more than 13,000.

Why would you think that? The Warriors are one of the Storms true marquee match ups not matter what day it's on, but then you know that already.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would you think that? The Warriors are one of the Storms true marquee match ups not matter what day it's on, but then you know that already.

Id think that because the friggin crowd was down by HALF. This isnt rocket science. Your missing the point. a 50% drop in the crowd would be like 45,000 turning up to the AFL on ANZAC Day. No matter who the game is between its a poor result.

Id think that because the friggin crowd was down by HALF. This isnt rocket science. Your missing the point. a 50% drop in the crowd would be like 45,000 turning up to the AFL on ANZAC Day. No matter who the game is between its a poor result.
A lot of the Storm crowd is NZ ex pats anyway so it was a very bad crowd for the only RL team in Melbourne BTW the Storm crowds after what 15 years in Melbourne and winning multiple premierships are going no where.They are on a par with the RU now.It would interesting to see how much they would drop if they had a bad run for a few seasons in a row.Its also interesting to note that AAMI Park very rarely gets a sellout for any of the codes playing there.

A lot of the Storm crowd is NZ ex pats anyway so it was a very bad crowd for the only RL team in Melbourne BTW the Storm crowds after what 15 years in Melbourne and winning multiple premierships are going no where.They are on a par with the RU now.It would interesting to see how much they would drop if they had a bad run for a few seasons in a row.Its also interesting to note that AAMI Park very rarely gets a sellout for any of the codes playing there.

Melbourne Victory have had 5 sell outs out of 8 matches at the stadium this season....
(Yes most matches had 22-23k) but public tickets had sold out.

Newcastle x2 and Central Coast in March were only games not sold out.

I have not really kept track in the last 5 years or so but how many Victorian born and bred players are there currently in the NRL?

Massive no shows if that is the case.

It's an issue in the era of reserved seating. I know a couple of years ago rfc was having reserved seat attendances as low as 50%

Knowing the club has your money already actually makes it easier to say "**** it" if you have a family thing, wife grief, or just shit weather

NRL is a TV game and absolutely suited to that medium. Sydney people do go to events - why?? probably many reasons but they don't. Check ratings for Sate of Origin - probably the biggest event in the country.

A League is growing and many kids play. Many, many more people watch EPL than A League and this will slowly rub off.

AFL needs to wake up for the long term. I suspect it is hampered by poor commentators and a closed shop mentality - which saps life.

NRL is a TV game and absolutely suited to that medium. Sydney people do go to events - why?? probably many reasons but they don't. Check ratings for Sate of Origin - probably the biggest event in the country.

A League is growing and many kids play. Many, many more people watch EPL than A League and this will slowly rub off.

AFL needs to wake up for the long term. I suspect it is hampered by poor commentators and a closed shop mentality - which saps life.

The A League is not growing in fact its ratings are down 5 % and the crowds over the past few weeks when they have been in direct competition with the AFL and NRL have in the main been dismal
Best they stick to being a novelty summer comp.

I know exactly what your point is. Next year the anti RL brigade who hide out in this forum will have to find another game to poke fun at because next years ANZAC day game will have a 50% jump in the crowd.

cairns is 50/50
The A League is not growing in fact its ratings are down 5 % and the crowds over the past few weeks when they have been in direct competition with the AFL and NRL have in the main been dismal
Best they stick to being a novelty summer comp.
The ratings & H&A crowds have been down for the NRL the past two seasons as well

Last edited:
I know exactly what your point is. Next year the anti RL brigade who hide out in this forum will have to find another game to poke fun at because next years ANZAC day game will have a 50% jump in the crowd.

Fair call. I think its hilarious when you refer to an anti rugby league brigade hiding on what is a dedicated AFL forum. be a bit like me going on to leagueunlimited and claiming theres an anti afl brigade....

Fair call. I think its hilarious when you refer to an anti rugby league brigade hiding on what is a dedicated AFL forum. be a bit like me going on to leagueunlimited and claiming theres an anti afl brigade....

At least LU hides away the haters.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back