Administration - The AFL v NRL *Moderator Approved* - Rules in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
NRL is a TV game and absolutely suited to that medium. Sydney people do go to events - why?? probably many reasons but they don't. Check ratings for Sate of Origin - probably the biggest event in the country.

A League is growing and many kids play. Many, many more people watch EPL than A League and this will slowly rub off.

AFL needs to wake up for the long term. I suspect it is hampered by poor commentators and a closed shop mentality - which saps life.
One of my A league mates was telling me that the A league actually has more viewers in Australia then the EPL does every year???

One of my A league mates was telling me that the A league actually has more viewers in Australia then the EPL does every year???

From what i've seen on mediaweek's twitter account, that is undoubtedly true. Although that's probably because most EPL games are on at bullshit o'clock. When the occasional game is at a reasonable hour it gets an OK audience, although unless it's a blockbuster the numbers aren't anything to write home about. Maybe 50k, up to 120k or so for Liverpool v Man U or something like that. If it's Burnley v QPR no-one watches (predictably).
As a comparison, the A-League averages about 60k across all it's games I think, the last 6 weeks or so have been a lot less than that.

My sons both started out playing soccer, one switched to footy a few years ago. Both obsessed with playing FIFA 15 and know all the gun players names and stats. However neither has ever watched an A league game, live or on TV, and have no interest in doing so. Neither actually watch EPL either, and only paid a vague passing interest in the world cup. When a world cup game was showing, they would be in playing FIFA.

I suspect very strongly my soccer playing son will have given playing soccer away in a year or 2, while my footy playing son is already thinking of the colts team he wants to join and will be playing league in a few years.

From my experience the huge numbers of grass roots support is leading to over optimism from the soccer crowd (and over pessimism from the footy crowd). Lots of them are non sporty kids (often girls) dragged in to team sport by parents, who worry footy is 'to hard'. They play, not very well, for a few years, and leave as soon as possible. The kids that turn out to be sporty frequently switch about 13 or 14 to footy.

My sons both started out playing soccer, one switched to footy a few years ago. Both obsessed with playing FIFA 15 and know all the gun players names and stats. However neither has ever watched an A league game, live or on TV, and have no interest in doing so. Neither actually watch EPL either, and only paid a vague passing interest in the world cup. When a world cup game was showing, they would be in playing FIFA.

I suspect very strongly my soccer playing son will have given playing soccer away in a year or 2, while my footy playing son is already thinking of the colts team he wants to join and will be playing league in a few years.

From my experience the huge numbers of grass roots support is leading to over optimism from the soccer crowd (and over pessimism from the footy crowd). Lots of them are non sporty kids (often girls) dragged in to team sport by parents, who worry footy is 'to hard'. They play, not very well, for a few years, and leave as soon as possible. The kids that turn out to be sporty frequently switch about 13 or 14 to footy.
The thing that stands out to me is how many more (footy) umpires there are than there are (football) referees. I don't have exact figures, but anecdotally I've seen that the WAFC's districts get far better coverage of their juniors comps than Football West could hope to. I think this is the sort of thing that reflects the actual underlying interest in the sport. It's one thing for a parent to push a kid into playing a sport, but another to get them to take it further.

2015AFLratingsR5.png

2015unionratingsR11.png

2015HALfinalswk1.png

2015NRLrepratings.png

Only Mahe Fonua on that list was born and bred in Victoria.

We've discussed this before. Players are coming through the U20s and other junior Vic rep sides. Like in WS the Storm and Rugby league are trying to change a whole generation and more. It will take time for players to filter through, but then you knew that already.

We've discussed this before. Players are coming through the U20s and other junior Vic rep sides. Like in WS the Storm and Rugby league are trying to change a whole generation and more. It will take time for players to filter through, but then you knew that already.

I do know that to be honest and I expect it will take years for the Giants to have a big impact in Western Sydney but I find it annoying how the Storm seem to get considerations that the Giants do not. If the Giants have only produced 1 AFL player from Western Sydney in 17 years I expect most people on bigfooty and in the media would be calling for the team to be removed from the competition.

I do know that to be honest and I expect it will take years for the Giants to have a big impact in Western Sydney but I find it annoying how the Storm seem to get considerations that the Giants do not. If the Giants have only produced 1 AFL player from Western Sydney in 17 years I expect most people on bigfooty and in the media would be calling for the team to be removed from the competition.

Worst of all the crap GWS gets usually comes from fans from within, which invariably leads to attacks on the Storm for no other apparent reason other than they've been in Melbourne for 17 years, yet for most of that time they've had minimal support. On sunday (round 9) we'll see the Storm on FTA tv for the first time this year and I'm willing to bet it will get little promotion.

Isnt that the same in NSW and QLD with afl?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isnt that the same in NSW and QLD with afl?

I did say like in WS, which is what I thought we were discussing, but you could throw in both too, although AFL in NSW and QLD is well ahead of RL in Victoria in pretty much all facets.

Been common knowledge IMO that AF ( not just the AFL ) attracts more females ( %) to the game than RL

Has been happening for over 100 years, it is not a new phenonomen.

What i have also noticed is some of the most loyal and passionate supporters are women, there was actually a clip on the news this morning ( Perth) about the sirens ( Female Freo fan group ) and what they get up to.

http://ro.ecu.edu.au/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1150&context=theses_hons

Been common knowledge IMO that AF ( not just the AFL ) attracts more females ( %) to the game than RL

Has been happening for over 100 years, it is not a new phenonomen.

What i have also noticed is some of the most loyal and passionate supporters are women, there was actually a clip on the news this morning ( Perth) about the sirens ( Female Freo fan group ) and what they get up to.

http://ro.ecu.edu.au/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1150&context=theses_hons
It would be interesting to source the reasons for that.

TBH its probably mostly due to the lack of violence, but a female fan I know comments a lot on the physique of AFL players.

It would be interesting what the perception of rugby league players was if they wore singlets instead of shirts amongst woman. Not that I think they should, but I think some woman are misguided enough to believe that AFL men have on average larger biceps then league men because they notice AFL mens biceps more because they are on display, when in fact the exact opposite is true.

TBH its probably mostly due to the lack of violence, but a female fan I know comments a lot on the physique of AFL players.

It would be interesting what the perception of rugby league players was if they wore singlets instead of shirts amongst woman. Not that I think they should, but I think some woman are misguided enough to believe that AFL men have on average larger biceps then league men because they notice AFL mens biceps more because they are on display, when in fact the exact opposite is true.

Maybe its just a better game to watch for all people!
I think both the Rugbys violent nature of the game would put a lot of women off.If you look at the oldest film of Australian Football the 1909 VFL GF you will see a very big proportion of the crowd is already made up of women.

I also think with soccer the violence and brawls in crowds (not on the field) down the decades would also put females off attending

or maybe the AFL have marketed the game better, with the NRL only in last couple of years made a shift toward making the game more inclusive, women's rugby league has really got some traction last couple of years.

I don't think its about the size of the biceps, papabear, the body-shapes are different, and there's a lot that like the leaner, more endurance-oriented frame that AFL players get. Different strokes for different ladies, of course, but the physiques that guys admire and wish they had aren't always actually the ones the wimmins are after.

or maybe the AFL have marketed the game better, with the NRL only in last couple of years made a shift toward making the game more inclusive, women's rugby league has really got some traction last couple of years.

And the NRL crowds have gone backwards this year so its not only about marketing if the public dont like a product it dosent matter how much you spend on marketing it still wont sell.

I don't think its about the size of the biceps, papabear, the body-shapes are different, and there's a lot that like the leaner, more endurance-oriented frame that AFL players get. Different strokes for different ladies, of course, but the physiques that guys admire and wish they had aren't always actually the ones the wimmins are after.

I have no issue with the either games body type, suffice to say that, that particular female carried on about the AFL players body type a lot, but then she does carry on about AFL a lot generally.

More to suggest do they get more appeal because they are showing more skin. Not lingerie football league levels, but more appeal nonetheless.

And the NRL crowds have gone backwards this year so its not only about marketing if the public dont like a product it dosent matter how much you spend on marketing it still wont sell.
What do you actually know about the rugby league product?

Last Sunday afternoons ANZAC Test rated 1.450m (942k metro, 508 reg), which was nearly exactly the same as 2014 which was on a Friday night, pretty good result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back