Administration - The AFL v NRL *Moderator Approved* - Rules in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greenberg said the record 20,272 crowd that watched South Sydney’s 36-4 win over the New Zealand Warriors at nib Stadium on Saturday showed a strong desire for rugby league in Perth.

“We understand Western Australia is a growth area for the game, year-on-year growth. It’s nice to see a strong appetite,” he said.

It is understood three NRL games are planned for nib Stadium next year — Wests Tigers officials were among the spectators at Saturday’s game — and 2017 Rugby League World Cup matches are on the agenda.

“There is certainly an appetite from a number of our clubs to look into new markets ... and there have been discussions with the venue (nib),” Greenberg said.

“Clubs will look closely at Perth to play games in future.

“As we progress closer to the World Cup there is a great opportunity potentially to play a Test match in Perth.

“Perth has made a great case to have high-quality games.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/28372977/pirates-long-voyage-in-search-of-treasure/

When discussing the TV rights of both codes, there is one undeniable point of difference & that is Origin - my views are as a sports fan, not a hater of either code. Sports role on TV is a far bigger issue than just the two codes being discussed here so I'm confused by your characterisation of bitterness - are you an AFL diehard, not into other sports?
The big problem apart from a huge % of their players are from small foreign ethnic groups that make up less than 1 % of our population is that SOO is hurting the regular season badly as it looks second rate in comparison and this effects the crowds during and after SOO
I watched some of NRL games over the weekend while channel surfing and many were like country games NAB Cup played before small crowds

This is not the image of a billion dollar sporting business that keeps pumping up how popular it is.Give me the big AFL crowds at modern stadiums all around the nation any day.

The big problem apart from a huge % of their players are from small foreign ethnic groups that make up less than 1 % of our population is that SOO is hurting the regular season badly as it looks second rate in comparison and this effects the crowds during and after SOO
I watched some of NRL games over the weekend while channel surfing and many were like country games NAB Cup played before small crowds

This is not the image of a billion dollar sporting business that keeps pumping up how popular it is.Give me the big AFL crowds at modern stadiums all around the nation any day.
The NRL is a Trans-Tasman competition, kiwis & Polynesians are not less than 1% of the population of NZ.

The NRL is a Trans-Tasman competition, kiwis & Polynesians are not less than 1% of the population of NZ.

Yeh, but 15 of 16 clubs are Australian, and despite being a tiny, tiny percentage of the Australian population, that cohort makes up a very big chunk of the playing rosters of those 15 clubs (not that there is anything wrong with that).

Yeh, but 15 of 16 clubs are Australian, and despite being a tiny, tiny percentage of the Australian population, that cohort makes up a very big chunk of the playing rosters of those 15 clubs (not that there is anything wrong with that).
IIRC it's 38% in the NRL, slightly more in the NYC.

For some reason FabPhil and his alt accounts seem to bring it up a lot. Who knows why... :$

If I was him I'd be more concerned why there are so few foreign born players in the AFL, considering one in four Aussies are born overseas.

If I was him I'd be more concerned why there are so few foreign born players in the AFL, considering one in four Aussies are born overseas.

BUT not from only a tiny % of the population Just goes to show the great appeal of Australian Football it caters to all shapes and sizes and ethnic groups!.

Relevance to TV Rights deal ???

For some reason FabPhil and his alt accounts seem to bring it up a lot. Who knows why... :$

Are you making a virtue of the fact that 38% of the NRL's playing stocks come from one ethnic group which is an absolute sliver of Australia's ethnic make-up?

Surely you too are able to admit that that is an extraordinarly high percentage?

In fact I was listening to the ABC's league radio show on Sunday, and they were actually discussing the current problem they are having in junior ranks where the sizes of the boys can vary greatly. I don't think I need to explain to you what the root of the problem is.

Doesn't Fabphil live in Perth????

Last edited:
Are you making a virtue of the fact that 38% of the NRL's playing stocks come from one ethnic group which is an absolute sliver of Australia's ethnic make-up?

Surely you too are able to admit that that is an extraordinarly high percentage?

In fact I was listening to the ABC's league radio show on Sunday, and they were actually discussing the current problem they are having in junior ranks where the sizes of the boys can vary greatly. I don't think I need to explain to you what the root of the problem is.

It absolutely is a virtue.

Body sizes are an issue at junior level, sure, but the Pacific Islands & NZ represent a large proportion of the rugby league community, there is absolutely nothing wrong with their representation in the NRL, they have brilliant athleticism and the game benefits greatly by their cultural diversity. Watching the traditional war cry of Tonga, Samoa, NZ, Fiji, PNG and the emotion of the players during the representative weekend earlier this year was special. It's a great part of the game and it's brilliant that the game embraces it.

Do you think the NBA is worse off because 76% of players are African American while they only represent 12% of the U.S. population?

'Admit' & 'problem'? Interesting choice of words, almost as if you think people should be guilty that a sport is played outside of one ethnic group in one nation.
Diversity is a strength, especially when it comes to sport. It's strange that it only tends to be AFL fans who seem to take exception.

I guess there's some underlying reason for it. Perhaps it's related to why an Aboriginal captained the Australian rugby league team back in 1973 while an Aboriginal AFL player and Australian of the Year is booed during the AFL's Indigenous round and has been likened to a monkey by an AFL club CEO.

'Admit' & 'problem'? Interesting choice of words, almost as if you think people should be guilty that a sport is played outside of one ethnic group in one nation.
Diversity is a strength, especially when it comes to sport. It's strange that it only tends to be AFL fans who seem to take exception.

I guess there's some underlying reason for it. Perhaps it's related to why an Aboriginal captained the Australian rugby league team back in 1973 while an Aboriginal AFL player and Australian of the Year is booed during the AFL's Indigenous round and has been likened to a monkey by an AFL club CEO.

Perhaps its also why there are just as many Aborigines playing in the AFL as there are in the NRL - and none of the others are getting booed. I think we're ok.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reported that 90,000 will be at the MCG for the SoO on Wednesday night. That's a staggering number for a sport with a limited following in Victoria. The AFL must be looking on in envy and wish that representative football was a viable option in the AFL, but alas, it is not.

Reported that 90,000 will be at the MCG for the SoO on Wednesday night. That's a staggering number for a sport with a limited following in Victoria. The AFL must be looking on in envy and wish that representative football was a viable option in the AFL, but alas, it is not.

Dont think the AFL are losing ant sleep over SOO and it wont get 90,000 max low 80s.Its also an event and will get people that wouldnt walk across the road to watch the Storm play as witnessed by only 10,000 there last night.

Dont think the AFL are losing ant sleep over SOO and it wont get 90,000 max low 80s.Its also an event and will get people that wouldnt walk across the road to watch the Storm play as witnessed by only 10,000 there last night.

Agreed. The AFL administration absolutely loves SOO - it's like a straightjacket on the NRL.

It could get in the 90s tonight, standing room only left apparently - MCC tickets have almost sold out too

Agreed. The AFL administration absolutely loves SOO - it's like a straightjacket on the NRL.
but it also helps them negotiate with the tv networks a stronger deal for themselves given it's constantly very strong ratings, the AFL would love to have a ratings juggernaut like SoO.

but it also helps them negotiate with the tv networks a stronger deal for themselves given it's constantly very strong ratings, the AFL would love to have a ratings juggernaut like SoO.
I'm sure Dave Smith is left awake nights over the prospect of finding someone to take the rights to the games straitjacket.

Its only a rating winner in NSW and QLD the rest of the nation can take it or leave it.Overall throughout the season the the AFL gets very good ratings week in week out and is a long way ahead of the NRL overall.BTW just watch the ratings jump for the AFL when they play on Good Friday and have a twilight or night GF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back