Administration - The AFL v NRL *Moderator Approved* - Rules in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The preference shown by the NRL for Thursday Night over Monday Night may be more about TV than crowds.

Monday night is a bigger night for the FTA networks than Thursday night. Sunday through to Wednesday are the biggest nights. Thursday is a bit more like Friday and Saturday, though not as weak as those nights.

Footy can make Thursday night bigger for the FTA networks. I'm not sure the same would be true of Monday night.

In terms of attendances, I do think Thursday night is a better time to go to a game than Monday night. I attended both swans Thursday Night games as a neutral (one this season, one last season) and enjoyed the feeling of knowing there was still Friday Night Footy to come. Both games got good crowds.

While not appealing to all fans, there does appear to be a cohort open to the time slot. Leaving the games, plenty of students and younger people seemed to be organizing the rest of their nights out. People with flexi days can schedule the Friday off. For those who live within close proximity to the SCG or Adelaide Oval or wherever, it is not actually that late either, finishing a game at around 9:50.

Obviously, there are many fans it does not suit. In that respect, I think the AFL has been wise to use the time slot sparingly. The current scheduling probably won't hurt attendances, but doing it every week almost certainly would.

Last edited:
People thinking that Thursday night football will be some kind of panacea for the Monday night football crowds in the NRL will likely be very disappointed. It will do okay in QLD (this year the two Thursday games up there got 36k and 16k in Brisbane and Townsville respectively), but in Sydney the same issues that stop people going to games on Monday (traffic, school night, traffic, traffic, traffic) are still present on Thursday.

AFL has been smart with Thursday night footy so far, playing the games in markets with existing strong attendance cultures, and making the games big events. I'm glad they're not becoming a standard, week-in-week-out fixture, it helps maintain that event status crucial to big crowds.

The crowd thing is interesting - AFL have trialled Thursday night games and they've drawn pretty decent crowds (although they have rigged it to an extent by putting on teams that will get good crowds regardless). I had a look at crowds to NRL Thursday night games and even by NRL standards, they're shit crowds. 2 Sydney teams getting less than 10k for instance.

Yet the NRL have jumped on Thursday night games as a regular thing in the future - so much so that they've guaranteed it for 5 years. It's funny that people shit on the AFL for 'not listening to the fans'. Imagine if they were NRL fans, they would have committed suicide by now.
QFT

So what about this?

A spokesman for Foxtel said, in an email: "While many subscribers love our coverage of NRL, the truth is that over the past five years the number of NRL matches in the top 100 programs on the platform has dropped from 73 to 22, over the same period the AFL has increased from 8 to 53. In addition, the figures you have been fed significantly overstate the number of subscribers who primarily take Foxtel in order to watch the NRL."

So what about this?

A spokesman for Foxtel said, in an email: "While many subscribers love our coverage of NRL, the truth is that over the past five years the number of NRL matches in the top 100 programs on the platform has dropped from 73 to 22, over the same period the AFL has increased from 8 to 53. In addition, the figures you have been fed significantly overstate the number of subscribers who primarily take Foxtel in order to watch the NRL."
What about it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those beautiful numbers basically mean that 7, Foxtel, Newscorp, Telstra and the AFL, are all in lockstep. They are a partnership for growth, a perfect synergy.
It's good that their mai. Interest is to just give afl exposure. All the nrl seem to care about are single averages for chest beating rights

On the matter of chest beating rights.

What is this thread but a chest beating thread. IMO its a garbage thread that should be closed. People can enjoy sports for what they are they don't need to have this sort of ridiculous crap on our forums.

Really, what does this thread constructively offer the AFL, sports fans, afl fans or anyone??

What is this thread but a chest beating thread. IMO its a garbage thread that should be closed. People can enjoy sports for what they are they don't need to have this sort of ridiculous crap on our forums.

Really, what does this thread constructively offer the AFL, sports fans, afl fans or anyone??
Chest beating is fun. Half of each clubs board is basically chest beating

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Lulz mostly.

If you don't like it don't click on the thread.

Noob, Do you even bigfooty?

You may remember the AFL was able to poach superstars like Karmichael Hunt and Israel Folau from the NRL.

Well however the NRL have struck back! NRL have been able to poach 7 game Gold Coast Sun legend Josh Hall who recorded a massive 0 touches in his last game back in Round 21...

:$:D

You may remember the AFL was able to poach superstars like Karmichael Hunt and Israel Folau from the NRL.

Well however the NRL have struck back! NRL have been able to poach 7 game Gold Coast Sun legend Josh Hall who recorded a massive 0 touches in his last game back in Round 21...

:$:D
Our whole board has been anticipating his delisting since the start of the season, so it comes as no surprise that he's trying his luck elsewhere. Total spud.

As for the propaganda, the rugby league lovers in western Sydney will believe anything. This signing doesn't work in the AFL's favour at all, regardless of how you look at it.

Good luck to him though I suppose.

Our whole board has been anticipating his delisting since the start of the season, so it comes as no surprise that he's trying his luck elsewhere. Total spud.

As for the propaganda, the rugby league lovers in western Sydney will believe anything. This signing doesn't work in the AFL's favour at all, regardless of how you look at it.

Good luck to him though I suppose.
I honestly didn't even know who he was...

Really? Slightly embarrassing if the NRL hold literally a no-name dud player at a bottom club up as a trophy in comparison to the names of Hunt and Folau I'd have thought - highlights their inferiority complex. Anyway if a dud AFL player plays well in the NRL it certainly ain't a great look for the NRL when their stars turned out be massive duds in the AFL...

Interesting to see how he goes, wish him luck I guess.

Good luck to him.

One thing that's intriguing (though probably not for this thread) about the reaction to these code-hoppers is that Jarrod Hayne is celebrated by the NRL fraternity for switching codes but Karmichael Hunt and Israel Folau were lambasted.

Good luck to him.

One thing that's intriguing (though probably not for this thread) about the reaction to these code-hoppers is that Jarrod Hayne is celebrated by the NRL fraternity for switching codes but Karmichael Hunt and Israel Folau were lambasted.

Yes, because most of us thought they left for the money, which one of them clearly did, while the other at least had a crack and turned out to be not a bad player.

Just read he grew up playing Rugby league anyway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back