List Mgmt. AFC - 2014 Drafting and Trading

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon they did very well.

Tom Boyd looks like a massive player - and they have him for 7 years - huge.
Boyd is a great get and it was a smart target for them given they're not going to attract a prime KP forward where they currently are - so paying overs for someone that has the potential to get their when the rest of their side should be peaking is smart.

But this cost them their captain who was contracted and probably a top 5-10 midfielder in the comp when fully fit (going off his 2013 season) as well as pick 6. At first there were talks about them getting #4 and #7 for Griffen and you'd think you could almost swap those two picks for #1 which in turn should basically get you Boyd on the spot. Given they traded #19 away they couldn't send that back but I think the Dogs folded too quickly as I think GWS would have cracked - just take a look at how many young players want out and how few elite players want to come in, they wouldn't have just let the Griffen ship sail by.

Bllody hell. Huge trade by GWS. In all likelihood the Doggies will be bottom 4 next year, possibly wooden spooners so it makes sense GWS might try and get rid of a player that doesn't want to be there while a decent pick + an experienced player is being offered because next year with the Doggies down the bottom again, they'll just say "second rounder or PSD, thanks!"

Boyd is a great get and it was a smart target for them given they're not going to attract a prime KP forward where they currently are - so paying overs for someone that has the potential to get their when the rest of their side should be peaking is smart.

But this cost them their captain who was contracted and probably a top 5-10 midfielder in the comp when fully fit (going off his 2013 season) as well as pick 6. At first there were talks about them getting #4 and #7 for Griffen and you'd think you could almost swap those two picks for #1 which in turn should basically get you Boyd on the spot. Given they traded #19 away they couldn't send that back but I think the Dogs folded too quickly as I think GWS would have cracked - just take a look at how many young players want out and how few elite players want to come in, they wouldn't have just let the Griffen ship sail by.

History will be the judge

on one hand I love the fact that the AFC is developing a culture of no leaks, however on the other hand FFS throw us a bone :D

culture of no leaks, or the fact that there is actually no news to leak?

and 7 year contract for Body? Holy smokes... It's the kind of thing that would kill the club if he turns out to be a spud or does something like Trengove

if being a number 1 draft pick isnt enough pressure a $7M contract will most certainly pile the pressure on him to live up to the billing

Not to mention performing at a Club that has been shot with on and off field departures to boot.

I dont think personally it will worry him, look at GWS/GCS duds on multi-million dollar contracts. Mind you the microscope of the Victorian AFL media will be largely focused on him.

I go away to attend a tute and come back and

tumblr_m7idbfJcFi1ryj6qoo1_500.gif
1HQDimE.jpg

Boyd completely stunk it up in at least half the games he played this year - massive gamble by the Bulldogs.
He's 19 !!

He was a clear #1 in 2013

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...es-first-round-prediction-20131120-2xvy6.html

1 GWS: TOM BOYD

(Eastern Ranges, 201cm, 103kg)

A big, powerful forward. Reads the ball well, positions himself well, takes marks and kicks goals. He dominates games.

THE RATIONALE: Boyd is the best player in it, the clear pick of the talls on offer and an absolute professional. Give it a few years and he, Jeremy Cameron and Jon Patton could be extremely hard to contain.

THE COMPLICATION: None. He's been the clear first choice all year. The only thing the Giants could play would be to switch him and Kelly around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

on one hand I love the fact that the AFC is developing a culture of no leaks, however on the other hand FFS throw us a bone :D

I'm hoping that if we were only after a minor fringe player or two we would have done the deals by now, the fact that we are still waiting might suggest that we are working on a decent catch, it may not be the big fish that may come next year but it may still be a good catch
It could be (might be wishful thinking) that they have a few OK deals in the bag already, but rather than do them now and risk losing all their options they've instead left them to finalize until the last day while continuing to work behind the scenes to see if they can still get something better.

Like I said, could be wishful thinking, but I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

He's 19 !!

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...es-first-round-prediction-20131120-2xvy6.html

A big, powerful forward. Reads the ball well, positions himself well, takes marks and kicks goals. He dominates games.

THE RATIONALE: Boyd is the best player in it, the clear pick of the talls on offer and an absolute professional. Give it a few years and he, Jeremy Cameron and Jon Patton could be extremely hard to contain.

THE COMPLICATION: None. He's been the clear first choice all year. The only thing the Giants could play would be to switch him and Kelly around.
Well he's certainly been hard for GWS to contain.

He's 19 !!

That's great - did you see him play this year ? Comfortably made the least impact out of Cameron and Patton in their respective first years. Don't reckon they'll get value out of him for another 2-3 years.

Well, we aint getting Cameron now. Personally think GWS have no depth with their KPF's now, apart from C. McCarthy. Reckon they'll get Wright in the draft, though.

Any idea of increasing the initial contract period of draftees, to say 4 years, or staggered contracts depending on whether you are a 1st, 2nd or 3rd rounder just goes out the window when a #1 asks for a trade after 1 year ...... and to the ****ing WB's of all teams who are ****ing imploding!

It really does make you wonder what Danger would be worth if a near hobbled ageing Griffin can swing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back