There aint no sauce for the Pies,
The Hawks have had their wings clipped,
'Cos we're reaching for the skies.
The Lions have stopped their roarin',
The Bulldogs have lost their bite,
The Blues have got a case of the blues,
And heres the reason why.......

10 Points if you can fill in the next bit :D

Also, I found references to the 'original' colours of the AFC.....royal blue, white and pale green. Nickname either "Sharks" or "Lakers". I remember KG holding the proposed guernsey up on TV.....I still remember the palpable relief I felt when the 'real' guernsey and nickname was unveiled. Thank god we got the Crows!!

Any other memories of the first months of the AFC?

Cheers,

Kasey

Originally posted by Still Crowing
I was just digging through some old stuff in my flat, and I came across this:

They're windy up on Windy Hill,
There aint no sauce for the Pies,
The Hawks have had their wings clipped,
'Cos we're reaching for the skies.
The Lions have stopped their roarin',
The Bulldogs have lost their bite,
The Blues have got a case of the blues,
And heres the reason why.......

10 Points if you can fill in the next bit :D
Kasey

Here we go here we go Camry Crows
Here we go here we go here we go
We'll be there in the square nose to nose
Revvin' hard til the siren goes
We're the new boys with so much to show
Bringin greetings from ever-lovin' Adelaide
Gonna tread on a few peoples toes
Cause here we go here we go Camry Crows
*'Oh what a feeling' jingle*
Camry Crows!

I feel so dirty and unclean :(

I remember East Fremantle stopped us using the nickname The Sharks as apparently the plan was to make Fremantle the Sharks when they entered the AFL.
Also remembering WTF didn't Adelaide appoint Jack Cahill as the first coach as he'd just coached three premierships in a row.

I came across this the other day which makes an interesting read (in hindsight).It is a list of players that Football Times put together at the start of the 1987 season (when The Eagles and Bears joined) to see what sort of players Adelaide would put together if they joined the expanded VFL that year.Remembering there is "no planning for the future with juniors" and the list goes mostly by the players form in 1986.

Michael Aish, Keith Thomas, Gary McIntosh ,(N) ;
Greg Anderson, Russell Johnston, Dwayne Russell(PA)
Todd Viney , Greg Whittlesea(St)
Tony Symonds, Chris McDermott,David Marshall (G)
Andrew Jarman, Tony Antrobus (NA)
Peter Bubner, Richard Cousins, Grant Thomas (CD)
Mark Naley, David Kappler (SA)
Andrew Payze (WT)
Kevin Harris (Wood)
Grant Fielke, Mark Mickan(WA)

Makes you kind of glad we didn't join in 1987 doesn't it :p

LL: Cahill could have been our first coach ... had his club not knifed the SANFL like they did.

Dyer: thanks for putting that song back in my head. Thousands of $$ of therapy down the drain only for you to remind me of our first song ...

These are some of the players from our initial training squad who didn't make the cut:

Jason Bastian (St), Peter Bennett (NA), Peter Bubner (CD), Paul Bulluss (WT), George Fiacchi (PA), Scott Field (St), Brian Haraida (CD), Daryl Heath (SA), David Hutton (PA), Russell Johnston (PA), Rudi Mandemaker (CD), Garry McIntosh (Nwd - and didn't want to play anyway), Scott Morphett (WT), David Niemann (WT), Greg Phillips (PA), Paul Pisani (WT), Peter Schwarz (Wdv), David Stoeckel (SA), Grant Tanner (Nwd), Stuart Whitehouse (WT), Michael Whitford (SA), Stephen Williams (PA), Robert Handley (CD), MacGregor Grummet (SA), Andrew Johns (St)

Any of those you wish we had picked up?

For mine, I would have named Haraida, maybe Fiacchi and possibly Peter Bennett

Originally posted by PrideOf
LL: Cahill could have been our first coach ... had his club not knifed the SANFL like they did.

These are some of the players from our initial training squad who didn't make the cut:

Jason Bastian (St), Peter Bennett (NA), Peter Bubner (CD), Paul Bulluss (WT), George Fiacchi (PA), Scott Field (St), Brian Haraida (CD), Daryl Heath (SA), David Hutton (PA), Russell Johnston (PA), Rudi Mandemaker (CD), Garry McIntosh (Nwd - and didn't want to play anyway), Scott Morphett (WT), David Niemann (WT), Greg Phillips (PA), Paul Pisani (WT), Peter Schwarz (Wdv), David Stoeckel (SA), Grant Tanner (Nwd), Stuart Whitehouse (WT), Michael Whitford (SA), Stephen Williams (PA), Robert Handley (CD), MacGregor Grummet (SA), Andrew Johns (St)

For mine, I would have named Haraida, maybe Fiacchi and possibly Peter Bennett

McIntosh would have been handy but as you say he wasn't interested & also had a high opinion of Steven Williams,

I also can remember Mark Williams complaining on tv about how he never even made the training list,

Originally posted by PrideOf

Nah. But they did beat the WWT Eagles team in a trial game.

I remember going to the Crows V Bombers trial game and the Crows B side - which consisted of those blokes listed above - played the Eagles. Inter club rivallry was not put aside with Crows fans yelling out "**** off back to Centrals Mandemaker!"

As for theme songs there was another one "We're the Crows, we're South Australian and we're coming to get you" Thank God that one died!

I remember Williams being PO'd at not being asked to train at AFC as was Mark Naley.

Still annoys me that Robran, D Jarman and McAdam got away from us in 1990.

In 1987 we would've had a better chance of luring guys like Platten, Bradley, Naley, Kernahan and co back if they'd known in advance we were coming into the comp then.

The scary thing is, is although people bitch and moan about Port's bid - the SANFL were completely immovable on an AFL side because they only wanted to come in on "our terms." What a load of bollocks. Anyway the thing is, before the Port bid came in 1990, the SANFL had put down their next date for discussing an entry bid to the AFL as 1995 - Imagine how garbage we would've been if we waited that long? We would've been 10 times worse than Freo.

Surely there's a consensus that because there was a South Australian club in the national competition, it was seen as a good thing that our native talent were staying in the state and able to strut their stuff so to speak at the South Australian club in the national comp! Tell me about this other Adelaide Football Club in the 1800s.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFC circa 1991

Remove this Banner Ad

Back