Opinion AFC - Whipping Boy Team

Remove this Banner Ad

A name that hasn't been mentioned: Matthew Clarke.

So frustrating watching a man so big do so little.
21 marks in a season once :thumbsu:

The punishment was to pick him for every game then employ him.

Luckily we've learned to recruit ruckmen from outside the club and discard every ruckman he's had anything to do with. Except James Craig that is, who's flying.

21 marks in a season once :thumbsu:

The punishment was to pick him for every game then employ him.

Luckily we've learned to recruit ruckmen from outside the club and discard every ruckman he's had anything to do with. Except James Craig that is, who's flying.

yeah he's doing a shit job with Jacobs.... if only he was coming along as well as the Carlton ruckmen.

yeah he's doing a shit job with Jacobs.... if only he was coming along as well as the Carlton ruckmen.
Pretty sure Jacobs was head hunted by us to be No 1 ruckman... before Clarke had laid a finger on him.

And has been awesome from Day 1

Pretty sure Jacobs was head hunted by us to be No 1 ruckman... before Clarke had laid a finger on him.

Clarke was a great tap Ruckman, and this is one area Jacobs has improved greatly.

Last year he had far less hitouts to advantage to this year. This year he and Maric lead this. Jacobs ahead by a long way.

I daresay Clarke was working with Jacobs in the offseason.

http://www.afc.com.au/tabid/4417/default.aspx?newsid=138023

so you think he was better than The Kruz Missile, Hampson and Warnock the day we picked him up?
clarke was a great ruckman, of a different era.

we now expect the ruckman to either run like nicnat or collect possies like Cox. When Doc played it was hitouts first, the rest second. he was the best in the land at that, now he has taught Sauce to be the best tap rckman in the league. I just hope he learns off others for his around the ground work.

so you think he was better than The Kruz Missile, Hampson and Warnock the day we picked him up?

clarke was a great ruckman, of a different era.

we now expect the ruckman to either run like nicnat or collect possies like Cox. When Doc played it was hitouts first, the rest second. he was the best in the land at that, now he has taught Sauce to be the best tap rckman in the league. I just hope he learns off others for his around the ground work.
I'm rapt that the Jacobs we saw dominate that final in Sydney is now parading around in the tricolours. It was a massive coup for us. Carlton knew it, they fought tooth and nail. We knew it, he was a No 1 ruckman ready to go. It was an absolute recruiting masterstroke.

Despite having Maric, Griffin, Sellar, McKernan, Craig all under Clarke's tutelage getting the benefits of his insights we desperately needed to look elsewhere. And we did the same for our No 2 ruckman with Jenkins. Luckily Carlton and Essendon know how to develop ruckmen and a pat on the back to us for looking outside and getting these trades done.

Taking marks and having a physical presence has been and continues to be a trademark of all good ruckmen. In any era. No doubt Clarke was superb with his hands. I've said before that if the game was called Ruckball he'd have been a champion. Unfortunately for him it is football and having to rely on him as our No 1 ruckman was the major factor (but not the only factor) in costing us flags in 2005 and 2006.

I'm rapt that the Jacobs we saw dominate that final in Sydney is now parading around in the tricolours. It was a massive coup for us. Carlton knew it, they fought tooth and nail. We knew it, he was a No 1 ruckman ready to go. It was an absolute recruiting masterstroke.

Despite having Maric, Griffin, Sellar, McKernan, Craig all under Clarke's tutelage getting the benefits of his insights we desperately needed to look elsewhere. And we did the same for our No 2 ruckman with Jenkins. Luckily Carlton and Essendon know how to develop ruckmen and a pat on the back to us for looking outside and getting these trades done.

Taking marks and having a physical presence has been and continues to be a trademark of all good ruckmen. In any era. No doubt Clarke was superb with his hands. I've said before that if the game was called Ruckball he'd have been a champion. Unfortunately for him it is football and having to rely on him as our No 1 ruckman was the major factor (but not the only factor) in costing us flags in 2005 and 2006.

if BaseketBall can be a hit movie, there's a chance we can make some money off this Carl:D

to be fair, only 2 of those you mentioned could really be called true ruckman. Maric is being called AA by all the victorian flogs and Griffin is doing well at the dockers.

thanks Doc!

To be fair to Clarke and Campo... this is their first Neil-less season.

On second thought I'm perfectly willing to consider that I'm wrong, that they are actually both very good coaches and that it was Neil holding them back!

whats the definition of whipping by here though? some of the players mentioned so far are just out and out spuds.

surely you have to actually have some decent footballing attributes, but are "in some eyes" unfairly critiqued to be a whipping boy. ie. someone must rate you to be eligible for whipping boy status.

the makes Smith, Gilligan, Warrior, Douglas, Schuback and Wigney spuds, not whipping boys.

This guy gets it. My gut tells me that B.Reilly would be high on this list if this thread was created 12-18 months ago.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion AFC - Whipping Boy Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back