Autopsy AFL 2016 - "Round 24" - The Big Bye - What you liked, learnt and hated

Remove this Banner Ad

The week rest supposed to be for the winners of the Qualifying finals to freshen themselves up. With a game in between 2 byes, the advantage for the winners of the Qualifying final is reduced.

Even though North were locked into 8th place. They still had a big say on who their opponent is.

If they beat GWS, they would be playing West Coast not Adelaide.

If they beat GWS, and Hawks lost the following day, they could've played the Hawks in Victoria instead of an interstate final.

That was worth playing for. No way they would've rested players.

Even though North were locked into 8th place. They still had a big say on who their opponent is.

If they beat GWS, they would be playing West Coast not Adelaide.

If they beat GWS, and Hawks lost the following day, they could've played the Hawks in Victoria instead of an interstate final.

That was worth playing for. No way they would've rested players.

99% of the footy population are too thick to understand that

Including the dickheads running the thing.

Was initially against it as it's a bit of an annoying break but the more I think about it it's probably not a bad idea. Need to have the Brownlow this week though.
Problem with that is that the players of the remaining 8 teams can't relax and hit the grog rather than only the competing grand finalists. Wouldn't go down well with the players.

The idea of the AFL taking this action to maintain the integrity of the competition is laughable. They rig the draw, they rig the draft, they rig the salary cap and they rig which teams are in the competition. They have a history of over-reacting when clubs take advantage of the AFL's own rules.

I don't mind it actually (and moving the Brownlow to this week would make it even better). That said, I have a lot to look forward to with several of my favourite clubs in the mix, so I appreciate the breather before a crazy month ahead. West Coast are on the early Thursday night anyway. Raiders contending for the first time since I became a fan in the late 90s is also exciting for me (and the US Open is on), so it's not like I'm lacking in stimulation. If anything, it allowed me to get excited about the NRL series as well, really looking forward to the weekend for both codes now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The 'problem' of clubs resting players was a flimsy pretext but if the Thursday night final rates as well as I expect then the bye is probably here to stay.

The bye was a failure. Part of glory that comes with winning premierships is the adversity faced in getting there. It is a grind, sometimes you lose players in the process - but it weeds out the weak. The strong survive, and they play till the last day - the last breath. Now the AFL have decided to interfere with the process (these fools just cannot help themselves). It was a poor move. I think it is fair to say it has been a failure. There is currently more interest in the Richmond board spill - than there is about the AFL finals. Says it all to me.
Alright Ayn Rand.

The "Bye" has killed all momentum going into finals week, the season isn't about other events, it's about the culmination of a 23 round H&A season and the FINALS must flow on from the final round. The AFL were weak kneed with regards to clubs resting players in 2015, so they had a knee jerk reaction to it instead of being tougher with clubs. The pre finals "Bye" stinks, it should be scrapped! Wouldn't surprise me at all if neither one of the winners in the top 4 games don't make the GF.

Considering stratts got another week rest I feel deep down I liked the bye
But on other hand I missed footy finals

The "Bye" has killed all momentum going into finals week, the season isn't about other events, it's about the culmination of a 23 round H&A season and the FINALS must flow on from the final round. The AFL were weak kneed with regards to clubs resting players in 2015, so they had a knee jerk reaction to it instead of being tougher with clubs. The pre finals "Bye" stinks, it should be scrapped! Wouldn't surprise me at all if neither one of the winners in the top 4 games don't make the GF.
Describe 'momentum' to me in a football finals context.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2016 - "Round 24" - The Big Bye - What you liked, learnt and hated

Remove this Banner Ad

Back