AFL Grand Final AFL 2024 GRAND FINAL - Swans v Lions Sat Sept 28th 2:30pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Swans by a goal or less

Votes: 13 8.2%
  • Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Swans by 7 - 20

Votes: 52 32.9%
  • Lions by 7 - 20

Votes: 51 32.3%
  • Swans by a lot

Votes: 25 15.8%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Draw

Votes: 5 3.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Dream Grand Final match-up for me. Will be happy with either result, just hope that the game is a belter!

I'd rather a (close) goal for goal high scoring shoot out.... rather than a defensive slogfest. Don't get me wrong close tight games are great..... but the only "replayability" comes from the last few minutes.

John Blakey has finals wins at the MCG against the Swans as a Lion (1986 SF) and Roo (1996 GF). Also coached the Lions once in the 2005 game with that Matthew Robbins mark, and obviously was a Swans assistant for a lengthy period.

Its hard to get fired up about a fellow northern club.

Look At Us Paul Rudd GIF

my first conscious memory of a player at these two clubs was Stefan Carey. Surprised he only played 3 for the Lions and 48 all up. I guess in those Stafford days when Goodes came along he just did the forward/backup ruck thing better(?) He did manage a bog (+RS nom) once against the Pies when they were top.

I don’t actually remember him much on the field at the Lions, was usually sighted sitting on the bench. His father George played some for Fitzroy too apparently.

1726985931587.jpeg

Both him and Heuskes (who was also at the Swans in 1996) finished up at the Lions in 2000 at a mere 24yo.

Last edited:
Any word yet on what they will be wearing? Has it come up on any media yet?
Take your pick, I think they all pretty much work. Hoping they both wear full home kit, but they might be a bit too similar in the afternoon sun, plus the AFL like one team to wear white shorts for some reason. Expecting it to be #2

IMG_8963.jpeg
IMG_8964.jpeg IMG_8965.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone know yet:

a) Guernseys for the game? Know Sydney will wear the home strip but Brisbane wear their Fitzroy guernsey, or just maroon shirt with white shorts like last year’s GF?

b) Presenters of the premiership cup for either side?

Anyone know yet:

a) Guernseys for the game? Know Sydney will wear the home strip but Brisbane wear their Fitzroy guernsey, or just maroon shirt with white shorts like last year’s GF?
We dunno yet - but we can all but guarantee Bris won't be in the Roys strip and Sydney will probably be in their home jumper.
I think it will either be Sydney home Brisbane clash or Sydney home Brisbane home + white shorts, with the former more likely and probably more appropriate too. You'd expect Brisbane will want to play in their home jumper, but who knows, they might even prefer not to wear that with white shorts after losing a grand final in that same strip last year - clubs take this sort of thing seriously!

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Grand Final AFL 2024 GRAND FINAL - Swans v Lions Sat Sept 28th 2:30pm EST (MCG)

Back