Preview AFL 2024 Preliminary Final - Cats v Lions Sat Sept 21st 5:15pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 31 19.6%
  • Lions by 7 - 20

Votes: 63 39.9%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

How many players will Christ Scott name on Thursday to keep us guessing as to who will actually roll out for the mighty catters on Saturday - 30, 40?
A quick look at season averages tells us he has named 92 players on average and then usually only 34 play.

I set over/under for generic Elixuh troll posts in this thread at 9.5 but a lot of money has come in for the over.

A quick look at season averages tells us he has named 92 players on average and then usually only 34 play.

I set over/under for generic Elixuh troll posts in this thread at 9.5 but a lot of money has come in for the over.

You’ve just gotta get in the head of opposition supporters early in the week. Finals come down to the 1%s, I’m just doing my bit.

I beg to differ. Look at the teams on paper. Lions filled with more talent. Brisbanes best is better
Matches aren't played on paper.

Mannagh is a no name but has been better than Rayner at half forward lately, for instance.

Likewise Humphries compared to Wilmot, not that Wilmot is a big name.

Charlie Cameron is a K-Mart version of Stengle nowadays. Likewise Bailey compared to Miers.

Jeremy Cameron got the AA selection Daniher was after. Shannon Neale has already caught up to Hipwood.

Dangerfield and Stewart offer more drive than a banged up Neale with Dunkley. Ashcroft > Bruhn and Big O > Stanley, but the rest of the midfield depth cancel each other out.

Holmes has had a better season than McLuggage.

For actual defending, Henry/Kolo/Blicavs > Andrews/broken Payne/Lester.

Most importantly, Scott >>> Fagan.

Chris Scott will have a plan to shut down fagans gamestyle.

I actually think the Lions are the overall better side, and if you played 5 games home and 5 games away, overall the Lions would come out on top. But in a single sudden death game, I think the Cats home game and Brisbane burning a lot of petrol tickets to come back against GWS might get them.

The Brisbane start to the season is probably about to cost them here, missing top 4 and that potential home PF.

Geelong by 4, getting a good match up here.

Matches aren't played on paper.

Mannagh is a no name but has been better than Rayner at half forward lately, for instance.

Likewise Humphries compared to Wilmot, not that Wilmot is a big name.

Charlie Cameron is a K-Mart version of Stengle nowadays. Likewise Bailey compared to Miers.

Jeremy Cameron got the AA selection Daniher was after. Shannon Neale has already caught up to Hipwood.

Dangerfield and Stewart offer more drive than a banged up Neale with Dunkley. Ashcroft > Bruhn and Big O > Stanley, but the rest of the midfield depth cancel each other out.

Holmes has had a better season than McLuggage.

For actual defending, Henry/Kolo/Blicavs > Andrews/broken Payne/Lester.

Most importantly, Scott >>> Fagan.
Geelong have had an easy run the last two months. Some of this player form is misleading. Brisbane have had unstoppable bursts in most matches this year. Including in their recent two losses. Won 12 out of last 14. Best form in the competition. Their best has been the best. This will be the toughest opponent Geelong have come up against since July. We are on a roll, and we will leave nothing out there on Saturday.

Geelong have had an easy run the last two months. Some of this player form is misleading. Brisbane have had unstoppable bursts in most matches this year. Including in their recent two losses. Won 12 out of last 14. Best form in the competition. Their best has been the best. This will be the toughest opponent Geelong have come up against since July. We are on a roll, and we will leave nothing out there on Saturday.
Let's put it this way: Geelong are hosting this final because (recently) they beat Fremantle (who was in top 4 contention) and Port (who was top 2) on the road. Brisbane are travelling because they lost to GWS (in top 4 contention) at home and Collingwood (who were all but knocked out of finals) away.

These were recent games and are what make Geelong the higher ranked team.

I note that you didn't dispute any of my points about the players from each team, so there goes your "more talented" theory. Very little, talent-wise, separates the top 10 teams. It usually comes down to tactics and execution on the day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's put it this way: Geelong are hosting this final because (recently) they beat Fremantle (who was in top 4 contention) and Port (who was top 2) on the road. Brisbane are travelling because they lost to GWS (in top 4 contention) at home and Collingwood (who were all but knocked out of finals) away.

I note that you didn't dispute any of my points about the players from each team, so there goes your "more talented" theory. Very little, talent-wise, separates the top 10 teams. It usually comes down to tactics and execution on the day.
I disputed many of your points by pointing you to the lacklustre opposition the cats have had to face recently. Freo is no achievement, bad form, dropped off the planet. Cats have earned a prelim, so have we. You are acting like they have earned a grand final. You need to win a high pressured game to earn a grand final. Of course tactics/strategy plays a big part. Unfortunately for you, after Ports QF showing, the Cats haven’t had to pull off game plans under finals like opposition pressure for some time. Let’s see how the form of some of your lesser names fares under the pressure of an in-form, talented, hungry, belief-filled, battle hardened, experienced Lions team, in a preliminary final. Only time will tell

Last edited:

Tactics, execution..... and belief.

The last one is probably the single biggest difference since our last PF against Geelong as personnel on both sides are largely similar to 2022.

I confess that the telegraphed omission of Hawkins plays into my quiet confidence that we will win as he has mauled us consistently across his career.

I don't know what to think of Brisbane.

Their last 5 games they lost crucial matches against GWS and Collingwood to miss out on top 4. They made hard work of Essendon who were half way to Bali. Then did their best to get Carlton back into it despite getting a 10 goal head start and were awful until late in the third quarter in the semi final.

On the other hand they've gone 12-2 which is great form and put 10 goals and 8 goals on their 2 finals opponents in a quarter and a half.

What sort of form line is that?

Tactics, execution..... and belief.

The last one is probably the single biggest difference since our last PF against Geelong as personnel on both sides are largely similar to 2022.

I confess that the telegraphed omission of Hawkins plays into my quiet confidence that we will win as he has mauled us consistently across his career.
I sort of disagree here for Geelong.

Cam Guthrie was our BnF winner. Hawkins was All Australian and our dominant forward. Selwood was still one of our most important players. Smith our best wingman. None will be playing. Probably SDK to add onto that, who was our second most important defender in 2022.

Blicavs is still playing but he was an All Australian midfielder in 2022, now he's a veteran defender in a more peripheral role.

Likewise Duncan and Tuohy, they were top 10 players and are now close to last picked. Players like Mannagh and Humphries have soared past them.

Our midfield has added Stewart, Bruhn and Bowes. Two of them new players.

Our forward line has added Neale, O.Henry and Mannagh. All new players.

Our defence has Blicavs, Holmes and Humphries added. One new player.

The gameplan also favours chaos ball more.

Quite a lot is different now for Geelong.

Both teams are great, I think one of them will win on Saturday.

Big call I know but there is a good track record of winners in Prelims.

I disputed many of your points by pointing you to the lacklustre opposition the cats have had to face recently. Freo is no achievement, bad form, dropped off the planet. Cats have earned a prelim, so have we. You are acting like they have earned a grand final. You need to win a high pressured game to earn a grand final. Of course tactics/strategy plays a big part. Unfortunately for you, after Ports QF showing, the Cats haven’t had to pull off game plans under finals like opposition pressure for some time. Let’s see how the form of some of your lesser names fares under the pressure of an in-form, talented, hungry, belief-filled, battle hardened, experienced Lions team, in a preliminary final. Only time will tell
How can you discredit Geelong's win against Port? Won by 14 goals away and then Port the following week go on to beat Hawthorn who everyone thought was the best team in the league? I haven't heard a single media person give credit to Geelong for this only how bad Port were. They were made to look bad because Geelong are a quality side and they will flog Brisbane here.

Geelong has won 8 out of 10. How much extra do you think those additional 4 games is going to count for once the ball is bounced?

You might not have much to leave

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview AFL 2024 Preliminary Final - Cats v Lions Sat Sept 21st 5:15pm EST (MCG)

Back