Preview AFL 2024 Preliminary Final - Cats v Lions Sat Sept 21st 5:15pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 8 4.7%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • Lions by 7 - 20

Votes: 67 39.4%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 41 24.1%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 12 7.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 1.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Barring a miracle Tommy will retire a 3x premiership player. For the Port Power supporters playing at home a premiership is what you get for first making a Grand Final (not something Port Power have concerned themselves with in an eternity) and then winning it.
Yeah but they did it for ducking Joel.

What kind of message would it send if they didnt get there for the great Tommahawk.

Yeah but they did it for ducking Joel.

What kind of message would it send if they didnt get there for the great Tommahawk.
We could've done it for Boaky too but it looks like his legacy is going to remain 'that guy who turned down Geelong that one time and stayed loyal to premiership-less Port Power'.

It wouldn’t compare to a Geelong side who had Gary Ablett Snr…🤣
Shame about that defence though. You generally need one to win a flag.

Some fair grand final sides were in the way.

Brisbane on the other hand have been knocked out by '19 GWS, '20 Geelong, '21 Bulldogs, '22 Geelong and '23 Collingwood. Only the last two were even premiers. Not exactly a cast of amazing teams.

Were not expected to, all the money is on Sydney.
We arent even meant to be in it this week remember.
But you guys, you belted us for a direct line to the prelim, you have to make it now, youre the #2 team against a side coming from 5th.
Geelong owes even the smallest chance of a flag to Port.

We were 5th favourite for the premiership even after finishing 3rd.

Port rolling over one week and then beating the form team in the comp has shaken up the finals series.

Shame about that defence though. You generally need one to win a flag.

Some fair grand final sides were in the way.

Brisbane on the other hand have been knocked out by '19 GWS, '20 Geelong, '21 Bulldogs, '22 Geelong and '23 Collingwood. Only the last two were even premiers. Not exactly a cast of amazing teams.
Yes 2 out of 5 were premiers that knocked us out. Now a history lesson for you. The other three, 19, 20, 21 it was runners up that knocked us out. Even more, in 19, 20 and 21 our first finals were also against the eventual premiers. So we lost a final to the premiers in 5 out of 5 years and also faced runner ups in 3 out of 4 possible series. And these were all years in an 18 team competition. Pretty tough if you ask me…

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with going back in history for a bit of comparison. It seems I’ve struck a nerve, so I’ll leave it at that.
Not really, I'm just not sure how Gary Ablett Sr will impact the game this weekend

Im worried for poor Tom, what if his career ends in the stands on a prelim defeat.
Cats must win.
Tom will be fine. Fact is he has a better player in front of him right now. I’m worried for Poort, us bringing back Hawkins would wreak of desperation in the way you’ll bring back Dixon.

Yes 2 out of 5 were premiers that knocked us out. Now a history lesson for you. The other three, 19, 20, 21 it was runners up that knocked us out. Even more, in 19, 20 and 21 our first finals were also against the eventual premiers. So we lost a final to the premiers in 5 out of 5 years and also faced runner ups in 3 out of 4 possible series. And these were all teams in an 18 team competition. Pretty tough if you ask me…
Those sides weren't exactly as good as the '89 Hawks, '92/'94 Eagles or '95 Blues though. That's the point.

In a weak era with a primed list full of elite draft picks and recruited talent, it is almost unforgivable to not get a flag through a 6 year period of contending. Hopefully it's rectified for your lot this year, if not another Ashcroft may help.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those sides weren't exactly as good as the '89 Hawks, '92/'94 Eagles or '95 Blues though. That's the point.
That’s what adding more teams to the AFL does. Dilutes the talent. Every team that plays each other is still in the same era/same boat. So you’ve made no point. Other than Geelongs 07-011 premierships, a decade of finals failures 012-21, and 2022 being in weak eras.

At least the Lions 01-03 have the best team of modern times and the better finals success rate over the journey.

And Geelong had the most disappointing grand final record in a decade in history

Last edited:
How much did Neale get paid in third party rorts lifestyle for this

No idea what you're talking about.

Anyway I have a whole garage full of 'The Scratch Project' clothing because I just love the way it looks, and I've already put down an entire truckload worth of preorders on 'Bailey Smith' undies.

That’s what adding more teams to the AFL does. Dilutes the talent. Every team that plays each other is still in the same era/same boat. So you’ve made no point. Other than Geelongs 07-011 premierships, a decade of finals failures 012-21, and 2022 being in weak eras.

At least the Lions 01-03 have the best team of modern times and the better finals success rate over the journey.
I made every point I wanted to and this weak reply confirmed all of them as valid.

Unfortunately Brisbane haven't been able to nab a 4th flag in the AFL era. It really fizzled out after 2004 and this current team are so far characterised as giant chokers in a weak era.

The envy is clear to see but I'm not cruel so we can talk about something that makes you happier if you'd like.

Tom will be fine. Fact is he has a better player in front of him right now. I’m worried for Poort, us bringing back Hawkins would wreak of desperation in the way you’ll bring back Dixon.
Yeah but Dixon will get his send off one way or another.
The only chance poor Tom has now is if the Cats win through.
They just have to surely.

You made no good point. What is weak about my reply, just going to the levels that you are. You don’t like being challenged do you?
Why wouldn't I like you making a fool of yourself?

The Brisbane wobbles 2019-2023 are far more embarrassing than Geelong 1989-1995 as at least that team were unexpectedly making multiple grand finals and then facing seriously great sides.

Brisbane's next best effort after 2023 is losing a prelim by 40 odd points. In other words, haven't even been close to a grand final besides last year. In a weak era.

Yeah but Dixon will get his send off one way or another.
The only chance poor Tom has now is if the Cats win through.
They just have to surely.

The thing about Hawkins is he'll always do what's best for the club. He's selfless and realises team success is more important.

He'll be rapt for Neale to play in a GF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview AFL 2024 Preliminary Final - Cats v Lions Sat Sept 21st 5:15pm EST (MCG)

Back