Preview AFL 2024 Round 17 - Cats v Hawks Sat July 6th 4:35pm AEST (GMHBA)

Who will win and by how much?

• Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Hawks by a goal or less

• Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • Hawks by 7 - 20

Votes: 27 48.2%
  • Cats by a lot

• Hawks by a lot

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Short break. No Sicily. Geelong in hot form after dismantling top 3 opposition. Hawks haven't won at GMHBA for 18 years

Massive upset if the Hawks can get up
Hard to win there if you never play there ( last time 2006 and once in 2020 - covid no crowd)

Go CAtters

Massive upset? lol. Itā€™ll be a close game.
Of all the algorithms and data sites that feed the Squiggle, only 2 of those 24 sites have the Hawks winning.

Cats at home with no Sicily to contain or lead our backline, Cats would have to be favorites.

Of all the algorithms and data sites that feed the Squiggle, only 2 of those 24 sites have the Hawks winning.

Cats at home with no Sicily to contain or lead our backline, Cats would have to be favorites.
Think itā€™s even money myself - but my point was itā€™s not going to be a massive upset if you knock us off. You are in very good form and we have been struggling. We finally found some form last week so we might win, but it wonā€™t be a surprise to me if you win.

I thought Sicily had been cleared to play?
Not yet, heā€™s a ā€œtestā€.

Based on how it went when he originally did it heā€™s unlikely to play as they give it a week or two to settle down, but who knows, maybe he passes the test.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's around the "Geelong should win a close one" level that we had heading into the Port and GWS games that we ended up losing at home. It would be one of our best wins of the season, given Hawthorn's recent top 4 form line.

Our rucks/midfield will get smashed and the other two lines were made to look okay in the second half of the Bombers game by the opposition waving the white flag. Can they back it up against stronger resistance?

If it was at the G you'd be marking down Hawthorn by a few goals. If we can finally deliver at GMHBA like we used to, then you'd say Geelong will scrape by. Not taking anything for granted in this one.

Haha, nice one.

Since Rd6 2007 Geelong have played Melbourne opposition at GMHBA 55 times for 50 wins (91% win rate)

In only two of those losses were Geelong the better ranked club (Melbourne 2015 and Carlton 2020)

So yes, a massive upset if Hawks win.

Since Rd6 2007 Geelong have played Melbourne opposition at GMHBA 55 times for 50 wins (91% win rate)

In only two of those losses were Geelong the better ranked club (Melbourne 2015 and Carlton 2020)

So yes, a massive upset if Hawks win.
Poll says otherwise. Many more going with the Hawks.

Odds wise Geelong are always inflated at home (look at the odds heading into the Port and GWS losses) but even that isn't huge. The line is set at a 10 point Geelong win.

"Massive upset" is amusing though, so can you please double down for further entertainment. If you want a real one, look at Richmond getting up over Freo or West Coast beating Melbourne at the G.

Poll says otherwise. Many more going with the Hawks.

Odds wise Geelong are always inflated at home (look at the odds heading into the Port and GWS losses) but even that isn't huge. The line is set at a 10 point Geelong win.

"Massive upset" is amusing though, so can you please double down for further entertainment. If you want a real one, look at Richmond getting up over Freo or West Coast beating Melbourne at the G.
For reference, I've never seen NetworkNerd tip us in any of these preview threads. Of course he's going to think it's some kind of upset. Some people just love being miserable bastards.

For reference, I've never seen NetworkNerd tip us in any of these preview threads. Of course he's going to think it's some kind of upset. Some people just love being miserable bastards.
He can't have been like that through the three-peat and basically until the conclusion of 2018 though, surely?

Hawthorn always bounce back, so I really am baffled by finding a pessimistic Hawks supporter, even after a few lean years. Especially after the last couple of months. They are playing brilliant football.

Back