Autopsy AFL 2024 Second Semi Final - Port v Hawks Fri Sept 13th 7:40pm EST/7:10pm CST (AO) Teams in OP

Who will win and by how much?

• Port by a goal or less

Votes: 14 6.0%
  • Hawks by a goal or less

Votes: 7 3.0%
  • Port by 7 - 20

Votes: 39 16.7%
  • Hawks by 7 - 20

Votes: 71 30.3%
  • Port by a lot

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • Hawks by a lot

Votes: 89 38.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I suspect the Hawks will suffer from a severe case of stage fright. The occassion will be just too big for them, it'lls happening a bit too quick and too soon and they'll subsequently bend over for the Power who might even upset the Swans in the Prelim.

It doesn't help that one of their fringe players is talking like they're already in the Prelim. Players are human and if Port players felt downbeat and sorry for themselves after their performance against the Cats; that unwarranted uncalled for disrespect might just wake them up from their stupour and come out breathing fire and give the upstart Hawks are good old fashion spaking that'll teach them to learn their place.

Last edited:
Hawks into $1.58 - would have to be the shortest priced away (interstate) team in a semi final ever?
yeah that is ridiculous...people have very short memories, port took care of freo away in rnd 24 and absolutely demolished Sydney only a few weeks prior.....surely wont put out two terrible performanvces in a row....hawks missing our only key defender (who was huge against the bulldogs) plus some pretty key mids....fingers crossed, but could easily go either way

Most likely matchup on Newcombe will be Drew?

I’ve watched Drew a bit this year and he does a pretty good job at winning his own ball whilst curtailing his opponents ability to find the ball.

Will be a tough task for the Hawks if Newcombe is held on the night. Worpel, Nash and Ward will need to have big games

I suspect the Hawks will suffer from a severe case of stage fright. The occassion will be just too big for them, it'lls happening a bit too quick and too soon and they'll subsequently bend over for the Power who might even upset the Swans in the Prelim.

It doesn't help that one of their fringe players is talking like they're already in the Prelim. Players are human and if Port players felt downbeat and sorry for themselves after their performance against the Cats; that unwarranted uncalled for disrespect might just wake them up from their stupour and come out breathing fire and give the upstart Hawks are good old fashion spaking that'll teach them to learn their place.
Cool story, but this week is a no bigger occasion than last week, where we didn't have stage fright or even remotely looked overawed. Also, Ginni played 22 games this year, not really a fringe player.

Cool story, but this week is a no bigger occasion than last week, where we didn't have stage fright or even remotely looked overawed. Also, Ginni played 22 games this year, not really a fringe player.
Favouritism may weight more heavily on the upstart Hawks this time around. I'm intrigued as to how they handled being fancied as opposed to being the underdog darlings of the media.

B, it'lls happening a bit too quick and too soon and they'll subsequently bend over for the Power who might even upset the Swans in the Prelim.

I'm not sure about that.

AO holds no fears for them. They should have beaten Port there earlier in the year (they were up by 7 goals)

And TBH, don't think Port are that good.

You think they’ll get stage fright in a SF in front of 50,000 at the Adelaide Oval when they didn’t before 98,000 at the MCG (or 92,000 against Richmond, 86,000 against Carlton and 76,000 against Collingwood in just the last 10 weeks?)

You think they’ll get stage fright in a SF in front of 50,000 at the Adelaide Oval when they didn’t before 98,000 at the MCG (or 92,000 against Richmond, 86,000 against Carlton and 76,000 against Collingwood in just the last 10 weeks?)
It's the occasion, the stage (Semi Final) is getting bigger as well as rising expectations (favourites), not to mention the added burden of traveling away from home in unfamiliar surroundings.

Hawks love to downplay one of the recent finals they lost to Geelong because it was a 'non-elimination' Week 1 final but apparently in this context every final is the same apparently.

It's the occasion, the stage (Semi Final) is getting bigger as well as expectations (favourites).

Hawks love to downplay one of the recent finals they lost to Geelong because it was a 'non-elimination' Week 1 final but apparently in this context every final is the same apparently.

I don’t quite understand what the 2016 Qualifying Final has anything to do with the 2024 Semi Final, other then to say that we reversed the result of the 2016 Semi Final?

It's the occasion, the stage (Semi Final) is getting bigger as well as rising expectations (favourites), not to mention the added burden of traveling away from home in unfamiliar surroundings.

I would say that Hawthorn’s performances this year have been better the bigger the crowd.

Three of the smallest crowds were actually the losses - so maybe that will cost us on Friday too :confused:

I don’t quite understand what the 2016 Qualifying Final has anything to do with the 2024 Semi Final, other then to say that we reversed the result of the 2016 Semi Final?
Every week the stakes are getting higher (Elimination/Qualifying, Semi, Prelim, Granny) so the further an inexperienced team progresses the more likely that upstart team is to suffer from a deer in the headlight's moment.

Every week the stakes are getting higher (Elimination, Semi, Prelim, Granny) so the further an inexperienced team progresses the more likely that upstart team is to suffer from a deer in the headlights moment.

That’s cool - but an unexpected Semi Final in a small stadium against a team that hates its coach is not a bigger occasion than the largest Elimination Final in history against the form team of the competition

In that final, 2 players in their first year kicked half our score. I don’t know if Hawthorn will win on Friday but it won’t be the occasion that gets them

I doubt it will be a lot if they win, unless Hawthorn (who are 1st for points for, against and top 2 for clearances since round 8) have a massive downer.

This is not a great Port team - without Sicily, this Hawthorn team was 8 goals up in the wet against them earlier this year before they threw the game away.

That said, having watched the 2000 and 2007 Semi Finals - when Hawthorn was in exactly this same position - I’m not ruling out Port at all
Funny that the other team never deserves to win in such cases, do they?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funny that the other team never deserves to win in such cases, do they?

If the roles were reversed I’d say the same thing about Hawthorn. No team should lose a game from that position - especially 2 goals up with less than 40 seconds.

It has nothing to do with Port - same thing happened with GWS. Any team in that position should not be losing a game of football under any circumstances.

But again that has nothing to do with Friday - Port could easily win this by 5-7 goals or lose it by 5-7 goals. It ultimately depends on the mindset of both clubs.

Do I think the odds are slanted too much in Hawthorn’s favour? Absolutely! It’s a genuine coin flip.

That said, I highly doubt it’ll be the occasion that gets to either team.

That’s cool - but an unexpected Semi Final in a small stadium against a team that hates its coach is not a bigger occasion than the largest Elimination Final in history against the form team of the competition

In that final, 2 players in their first year kicked half our score. I don’t know if Hawthorn will win on Friday but it won’t be the occasion that gets them
You seem to be glossing over the other things I mentioned such as now dealing with favouritism and playing in another city for a Semi Final which is not the same as a traveling and preparing for a regular season game.

We shall see I guess; I'm not guaranteeing that the inexperienced upstart Hawks will suffer from stage fright this week but that the more likely it is to happen the further they make it in September and that could be as soon as this week because of the several reasons I mentioned.

From memory Sydney were in the $1.30s against Geelong ($3) for the 2017 SF…and that didn’t end well

Yeah Sydney started $1.36 v the Cats at the G in 2017. They were never in the game.

Back then the top 4 teams used to nearly always win the semi finals, that seems to have changed dramatically in recent times, the comp is way more even these days.

This will be the 4th game we've played at Adelaide Oval this year, not exactly unfamiliar surroundings.

A Semi-Final is no more awe-inducing than an Elimination Final. They are both must win. You are also not taking into account that there is significantly less pressure for us as we have already achieved far more than expected, thus do not have the weight of expectation.

You seem to be glossing over the other things I mentioned such as now dealing with favouritism and playing in another city for a Semi Final which is not the same as a traveling and preparing for a regular season game.

We shall see I guess; I'm not guaranteeing that the inexperienced upstart Hawks will suffer from stage fright this week but that the more likely it is to happen the further they make it in September and that could be as soon as this week because of the several reasons I mentioned.

It's no different to our game against Adelaide less than 2 months ago - which was also a de-facto Elimination Final, except this time, there will be heaps more Hawthorn fans and less hostile fans (they all seem more preoccupied with sacking their coach anyway).

Win or loss, this season has been an overwhelming success, and as you say, all good things end. Although I'm far more fearful of getting an ugly reality check against the Swans, Cats or Giants (who both really could manhandle our lack of key defenders)

the largest Elimination Final in history against the form team of the competition
"Form team of the competition" got thumped by the bottom 4 Adelaide Crows just three weeks earlier.

Like most of the discussion about the super inform Melbourne based sides, ignores who their opponents actually have been.

If the roles were reversed I’d say the same thing about Hawthorn. No team should lose a game from that position - especially 2 goals up with less than 40 seconds.

It has nothing to do with Port - same thing happened with GWS. Any team in that position should not be losing a game of football under any circumstances.
So the Hawks bottled it on multiple occasions when facing top 4 opponents?

Port turned the pressure up in the third team and strangled Hawthorn. Mitchell said it himself.

Dont care about the upcoming result.

Im pointing out this arrogance, that our win earlier in the year was because you threw it away, when reality is we took it away because you couldnt stop us or score yourselves.

Arrogance? Are we supposed to deny fact just so you don’t feel put upon?

You know who would say things like your post above? People who in their hearts know that they were gifted a win.

This will be the 4th game we've played at Adelaide Oval this year, not exactly unfamiliar surroundings.

A Semi-Final is no more awe-inducing than an Elimination Final. They are both must win. You are also not taking into account that there is significantly less pressure for us as we have already achieved far more than expected, thus do not have the weight of expectation.

It's no different to our game against Adelaide less than 2 months ago - which was also a de-facto Elimination Final, except this time, there will be heaps more Hawthorn fans and less hostile fans (they all seem more preoccupied with sacking their coach anyway).

Win or loss, this season has been an overwhelming success, and as you say, all good things end. Although I'm far more fearful of getting an ugly reality check against the Swans, Cats or Giants (who both really could manhandle our lack of key defenders)

This is a Semi Final and, in my opinion, you can’t accurately gauge how two teams will play in September basing it entirely on how they have fared in the regular season in the same location.

Or else Port would have thumped Geelong given how they beat them at Kardinia Park during the season but fell apart in the First Week of finals against the same opponent in their own home ground.

I know that Port have had their Final’s demons well documented but it’s not beyond them to win finals, they have managed a few finals wins during Hinkley’s coaching tenure.

And again, you can’t really gauge how the Hawks new found favouritism will weigh on them. It may not impact them all, it may boost their confidence or the Hawks may start to realise the enormity of the occasion and not play with the same abandon and carefreeness as they have up to this point.

Was this a dream you had?

"Form team of the competition" got thumped by the bottom 4 Adelaide Crows just three weeks earlier.

Like most of the discussion about the super inform Melbourne based sides, ignores who their opponents actually have been.

So the Hawks bottled it on multiple occasions when facing top 4 opponents?

Port turned the pressure up in the third team and strangled Hawthorn. Mitchell said it himself.
Not true.
We only got 25 inside 50’s in the last quarter by luck, obviously.

This year, Hawthorn only loses when they want to. They are that good, our only chance is if Hawthorn couldn’t be bothered playing to win.

Arrogance? Are we supposed to deny fact just so you don’t feel put upon?

You know who would say things like your post above? People who in their hearts know that they were gifted a win.
Can you explain what your facts are?

Just want to know what we’re supposedly denying.

Cats fans should be hoping for Hawthorn to beat Port and Sydney. 2 other contenders would be gone and they can get payback for 2008

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2024 Second Semi Final - Port v Hawks Fri Sept 13th 7:40pm EST/7:10pm CST (AO) Teams in OP

Back