Autopsy AFL 2024 Second Semi Final - Port v Hawks Fri Sept 13th 7:40pm EST/7:10pm CST (AO) Teams in OP

Who will win and by how much?

• Port by a goal or less

Votes: 14 6.0%
  • Hawks by a goal or less

Votes: 7 3.0%
  • Port by 7 - 20

Votes: 39 16.7%
  • Hawks by 7 - 20

Votes: 71 30.3%
  • Port by a lot

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • Hawks by a lot

Votes: 89 38.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Pre finals bye has accelerated a trend that started in 2014. Before that it happened once between 2002 and 2013
I wonder which lot of evidence is wisest to use for this game. 2014-2023 or 2002-2013.

If you take Geelong out it's much worse. They played a lot of semi finals from top 4 this century and only lost one. The rest of the top 4 teams as a collective have actually been quite poor semi finalists.

Last edited:
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake"

Port players where probably stewing on their failure focusing on their mental deficiencies. That focus and mindset would have shifted now because of that tweet. I expect to see a more focused and determined Port this Friday night.
I've long lost the ability to be optimistic, but what the heck...even a broken clock can be right twice a day...I always tip us to win because habit

Whereas if we now look at Port, removing their gun back flankers has made their slingshot game and ball movement completely stagnant. Devoid of class or incision.

Houston, Farrell and now Burton.

Hawthorn have injuries too so not result changing.

Has any team come back from 84 points or more in the first round of finals to make a grand final or to win a premiership? Closest I can think of was just less at a 76 point loss to Geelong at the hands of Essendon in 1989. Came back to smash Essendon by 94 points, 2 weeks later.

And you’ll possibly win by that much again this week too.

Doesn’t mean the narrative coming into finals wasn’t Vic centric.
It always is.
It always will be.
Ignore or excuse the bad, promote or highlight the good.

And with the AFL’s help along the way, the premiership streak Vic clubs are on over the last 2 decades continues without question.

I don’t disagree with this - and for what it's worth I'm not very confident at all.

It absolutely would not surprised to see Port bounce back - it simply happens far too often to be a coincidence.

I was just saying that any team up by 2 goals with less than 90 seconds should not be losing any game. Same would happen if it was roles reversed and Hawthorn won at the death

I wonder which lot of evidence is wisest to use for this game. 2014-2023 or 2002-2013.

If you take Geelong out it's much worse. They played a lot of semi finals from top 4 this century and only lost one. The rest of the top 4 teams as a collective have actually been quite poor semi finalists.
Bloody impressive record by the cats. I loathe you lot because of our rivalry, but I respect you for everything you have consistently achieved.

Proof is in the pudding and there is no denying Geelongs success over the past two decades

Has any team come back from 84 points or more in the first round of finals to make a grand final or to win a premiership? Closest I can think of was just less at a 76 point loss to Geelong at the hands of Essendon in 1989. Came back to smash Essendon by 94 points, 2 weeks later.
I remember those games. Cats vs Hawks were destined to play the best GF of all time.
On another note I remember in 2014 Swans winning the PF by 70pt and going in favourites to GF and get smashed by 10 goals. Reverse of your question. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t disagree with this - and for what it's worth I'm not very confident at all.

It absolutely would not surprised to see Port bounce back - it simply happens far too often to be a coincidence.

I was just saying that any team up by 2 goals with less than 90 seconds should not be losing any game. Same would happen if it was roles reversed and Hawthorn won at the death
FWIW, you should have a look at our record in close games last couple of years.
This year, 2 goals or less, 6-1 record.
Last year, 6-2
2021, we went 5-0
2022 the anomaly, 2-7, and surprise surprise we missed finals.

Now if only we knew how to tough out finals matches…. :huh:

I keep seeing a stat and hearing a stat going around about last 11 teams to have lost qualifying final by 50+ have gone on to win following week. They fail to mention that only 1 of those 11 teams that lost (Brisbane 2020) were the home team playing an interstate team. In other words Port are in rarified position of losing a home qualifying final by 50+ points against an interstate team. That should be the headline and not history is on Ports side

What about finals?

It takes a special club to lose a home final by 14 goals. Hawthorn for example, in 100 seasons has never managed that amazing feat. For a club to that after just 28 years in the premier competition is elite 👍

More power to the SA media drivel too
But Hawthorn didn't even have 1 premiership for their first 36 seasons, didn't make finals for 33 seasons and were 1 goal short of a 14 goal loss by losing by 13 goals in the 1985 grand final.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2024 Second Semi Final - Port v Hawks Fri Sept 13th 7:40pm EST/7:10pm CST (AO) Teams in OP

Back