Multiplat AFL 23: Launch Thread (Xbox release date TBC)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
STATE OF PLAY:
  • The game is out for Steam and PlayStation. There have been issues with Xbox release and it is unclear when the game will be available.
  • Big Ant are aware that there are playability issues & bugs at present.
  • Content has been temporarily removed from the game to identify where the issues lie.
  • This content will be re-introduced via patches in the coming days.
  • Big Ant have released a summary of what is to be reintroduced, which can be seen below.

Issues & constructive criticism are best communicated to: support.bigant.com

Michaels Twitch video with QA from Ross(BigAntStudios) from 31:40

Last edited:
If you aren't, I don't think you need to say it more than once or to continue to try to unduly influence anyone else into thinking as negatively about the game as some of the people on her insist on doing.

Why are you surprised that people in here are angry when you have consistently insulted their intelligence?

PC or PlayStation?

Only PC has received the stability patch so would be good to hear if it's making any difference

I havent crashed since on Steam.

I crashed twice in third quarter beforehand.

I haven't touched management mode though.

It's true, I used voodoo magic on this game, before release. But I swear, I thought it would help it be the best game

It's true, I used voodoo magic on this game, before release. But I swear, I thought it would help it be the best game ever.
You are the one in control of your choices, and here are a few for you:
  • You can just return it and get a refund
  • You can keep it and hope that it meets expectations at some point
  • You can complain about uncontrollable injustice
  • You can provide constructive feedback

Being distracted by things you can't control or demanding higher standards than those you meet yourself are only going to set you up for miserable disappointment though.
Maybe think a bit before you commit.

Normally on a discussion forum, when you make a claim, it's pretty standard to be asked to back it up with an example. If you can't, or refuse to because reasons, then what you're now experiencing is also pretty standard.

Yeah bro should just provide an example instead of rambling on. Talking about “not having the time” but continues to make posts on here

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Why are you surprised that people in here are angry when you have consistently insulted their intelligence?
I'm not surprised. I have great experience with making mistakes and getting things wrong. I have done it many times, so am well qualified to recognise it in others.
And assuming that there is enough intelligence to feel insulted is perhaps a stretch with some of the "contributions" that have been made though.

You are acting like Big Ant are Porter Davis.
More perspective and respect would go a long way.

Do they have any intention of adding tactics?

My AI constantly looks lost. Typical hotspots of the ground completely empty. Leaving their man completely open.

Infuriating playing online where your AI naturally allows leads against them to no fault of your own. Would like to direct them into a foward/defensive press at the very least.

I have never suggested that what has happened should be celebrated.
It is a debacle, and the people involved will be feeling it more than us.

I don't think it is asking too much to accept the reasonable explanation that something went wrong without advance notice, but that it is now being rectified as quickly as possible.

No one has lost their $100 - there is not a retailer or platform that wouldn't refund immediately if requested given what has happened.
Any choice still sits with the consumer, and I am happy to give Big Ant a chance to rectify.
If you aren't, I don't think you need to say it more than once or to continue to try to unduly influence anyone else into thinking as negatively about the game as some of the people on her insist on doing.

It’s not reasonable because there hasn’t really been an explanation. “Day Zero Patch broke the launch version”… okay, why? How was that allowed to happen? How did it cause launch content to not be available? Why was ProTeam advertised in a launch trailer but not available at launch?

You can’t excuse these things, you really can’t. Especially from a company trying to charge $100 for a non AAA title. If they want to charge at AAA prices, they should be held at the same standards. Facts are, Ross had publicly flamed WW on their title for something as little as a whistle being sounded at an incorrect time. This muck that’s been produced is inexcusable. Any of the consumers have every right to not accept whatever vague reasoning and deserve an explanation into exactly what went wrong.

I get where the "at least they're fixing it!" sentiment is coming from, but just think, had they broken the mould set by AO Tennis and reinforced by Cricket 22 and actually launched in an acceptable state, then all this time until the launch of Cricket 24 could have been spent fine tuning and improving things beyond that.

Instead we might get what should have been the launch version by mid-late June, and all support dumped as a stretched-thin Big Ant shift focus to the golden egg that is Cricket 24.

And then Rugby 24 is due out in September :straining:
I fully agree, the only thing I will say is that cricket24 is obviously an iteration of 22 so one might think, or hope, that it needs less man power to get it over the line as AFL did being a ground up project. So fingers crossed they can still spare the resources that this game will require. I do worry about the league game though.
And of course considering cricket22 and now AFL23 releases, we can’t take much for granted.

Am I the only one who doesn’t mind the camera being on the opposite side of some grounds? Mainly the smaller suburban ones like Punt Rd, Whitten Oval, Arden St etc.
Don’t mind seeing the buildings (and the MCG behind punt road) as opposed to seeing a street and some houses.
On the higher grounds like Adelaide Oval for example though, if it can be done without the issues mentioned yesterday I’d love it on the correct side.
Minor issue though for mine and low on the priority list for now.

Feels bad for the individual blokes hauling a** at Big Ant to provide patches ASAP.

But how did it come to this in the first place? Time that could’ve been spent on quality of life updates is being wasted to crunch towards making the game playable.

Released fairly late in terms of the season. Got delayed by 2 weeks yet looks nowhere near a functioning product. How?

Gross mismanagement and knowingly releasing a broken product to cash in on your $$$ while they chase tail

Do they have any intention of adding tactics?

My AI constantly looks lost. Typical hotspots of the ground completely empty. Leaving their man completely open.

Infuriating playing online where your AI naturally allows leads against them to no fault of your own. Would like to direct them into a foward/defensive press at the very least.
Yes. They’re planning on tactics being invoked in the game. Just a matter of when and where it fits into their patch list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are the one in control of your choices, and here are a few for you:
  • You can just return it and get a refund
  • You can keep it and hope that it meets expectations at some point
  • You can complain about uncontrollable injustice
  • You can provide constructive feedback

Being distracted by things you can't control or demanding higher standards than those you meet yourself are only going to set you up for miserable disappointment though.
Maybe think a bit before you commit.
This reads like ChatGPT. Needs a human's touch.

It’s not reasonable because there hasn’t really been an explanation. “Day Zero Patch broke the launch version”… okay, why? How was that allowed to happen? How did it cause launch content to not be available? Why was ProTeam advertised in a launch trailer but not available at launch?

You can’t excuse these things, you really can’t. Especially from a company trying to charge $100 for a non AAA title. If they want to charge at AAA prices, they should be held at the same standards. Facts are, Ross had publicly flamed WW on their title for something as little as a whistle being sounded at an incorrect time. This muck that’s been produced is inexcusable. Any of the consumers have every right to not accept whatever vague reasoning and deserve an explanation into exactly what went wrong.

I can't give you an exact answer, because I don't know.
As a hypothetical though, have you considered that a single individual may have caused the failure, and that the primary duty of care is protecting their wellbeing ahead of your entitled tantrum?

The only fact is none of us know exactly what has happened, but are not entitled to a detailed explanation about what happened either. The government regularly runs billions of dollars over budget on heavily delayed projects, and we don't get any apology or explanation. This is reality.

So you don't have to accept the game or explanation. You can return it and move on to something more productive.
Half-baked demands and expectations won't fix anything though.

I wonder what difference to people's lives knowing the full story would truly make.

The fact they're trying to fix the game is enough for me. They botched the launch and here we are. Looking backwards isn't going to improve the situation and I doubt any explanation will suffice a lot of the contributors here.

If BA don’t do it, who will? Wicked Witch?

A fair point. An overseas studio would really struggle to understand the game. The AFL need to over fund it imo to get it up to speed as a way of growing the game. Whether they see the value in that is the question though.

Honestly, I think the core of what BA has built here is solid. It feels like it was made by a team who knows footy, just such a shame the final execution was diabolical. Hoping they can salvage this iteration then build from there. Time will tell.

Also hope they learn how to communicate like a proper company. Incredible how bad they are at this.

I can't give you an exact answer, because I don't know.
As a hypothetical though, have you considered that a single individual may have caused the failure, and that the primary duty of care is protecting their wellbeing ahead of your entitled tantrum?

The only fact is none of us know exactly what has happened, but are not entitled to a detailed explanation about what happened either. The government regularly runs billions of dollars over budget on heavily delayed projects, and we don't get any apology or explanation. This is reality.

So you don't have to accept the game or explanation. You can return it and move on to something more productive.
Half-baked demands and expectations won't fix anything though.

Seems like you’ve got a lot more time than you first thought. Any chance of that example that boncer34 was asking for?

Pardon my steam noobness here but the patches auto update as soon as the PC is turned on in most cases dont they?

I haven't seem a update file come through last night but it's set to be done automatically so I assume it is

Played a management game last night, no crash.

Still fairly easy though.

Looking forward to the AI buff!

Pardon my steam noobness here but the patches auto update as soon as the PC is turned on in most cases dont they?

I haven't seem a update file come through last night but it's set to be done automatically so I assume it is

Played a management game last night, no crash.

Still fairly easy though.

Looking forward to the AI buff!
I restart Steam, it doesn't give me an option to update if I don't.

Let's hope there is some competition out there when BigAnt lose the licence. Building on the biggest budget ever for an AFL game, there is such demand that an enthusiastic and devoted team could create something special. You'd have to imagine there is some talent out there that could flourish, if given the resources.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back