Multiplat AFL 23: Launch Thread (Xbox release date TBC)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
STATE OF PLAY:
  • The game is out for Steam and PlayStation. There have been issues with Xbox release and it is unclear when the game will be available.
  • Big Ant are aware that there are playability issues & bugs at present.
  • Content has been temporarily removed from the game to identify where the issues lie.
  • This content will be re-introduced via patches in the coming days.
  • Big Ant have released a summary of what is to be reintroduced, which can be seen below.

Issues & constructive criticism are best communicated to: support.bigant.com

Michaels Twitch video with QA from Ross(BigAntStudios) from 31:40

Last edited:
Is anyone able to explain the patch situation? On the fence whether to purchase it right now.

The more I am playing and getting a bit of an idea how to play I’ve actually been enjoying it. The crashes for me now is the most annoying thing.

I’ve figured out the hand balling and rucking tap outs work. Going wide works on some grounds but others if you screw up the AI will punish you. I’m excited to see the patches start to come through next week. I think it’ll be a fun game once we get there. It’s just a shame it wasn’t already complete and we have to wait technically for the rest of the game to come out..

Maybe this is a hint that score reviews could be in the game?? we know big ant use review systems in their cricket games! May be a bit in this… 🤞🏼

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
He's already said not in afl games because of the random nature of them. They're in other games because it's a captains call.

Wild there’s still been no apology or any official indication of when Xbox will get the game

I'm choosing to be naive/optimistic and believe there's been no date announced because they're negotiating with retailers to allow a digital-only release.

More likely discs haven't even been printed or some shit like that though...

Just played a game on PC/Steam. Significant improvement. Still needs a fair bit of work but I'd no longer call it unplayable. Definitely still a bad experience though.
I'll play a few more and quote this when I spot something.

Issues: (I'll try to list them in order of game-breaking to nice-to-haves)
- Player animations take forever. Picking up the ball takes a moment and you can't start turning as you pick it up. Kicking is slow and since you can't immediately turn, you need a huge amount of space to have time to both turn and kick without being tackled. The tackle animations last a second too long. Players will tackle, then after the ball comes lose, they'll slowly stand up and take a few steps forward, whichever way they're facing and then snap back to playing. By that time, someone from 30m away has run through and grabbed the ball anyway. I'd rather see a jarring snap to the next animation than watch a player casually stand up after a tackle, paying no attention to the ball.

- Playing on from a mark or receiving a handball on the run isn't fast or smooth. You receive a running handball and the player basically comes to a complete stop before continuing forward. The same with trying to play on from a mark. It's so slow that by the time it works, you lose any advantage.

- Players just ignore a loose ball too often. The moment a tackle is laid, the closest player from each team should lock on and sprint to recover the ball. At the moment, a ball omes out in the tackle andthere can be 10 or 15 players around it who just stand in one spot ignoring it until someone runs over it.

- Tackling works without holding sprint but it's near useless. Only works when AI runs right at you. (I fear that introducing tackling while sprinting will be a huge problem in multiplayer if the speed of animations in the first 2 points aren't addressed at the same time. But in single player, it would be fine)

- AI still makes horrible decisions. From near the toyota logo, they often kick 50m backwards to a 1 on 1 in my 50 or they'll handball 20m (presumably aimed at the player 2m away) and it'll go straight to my player for an easy goal. Recorded a clip tonight of this and even Huddo chimed in with "Why is he kicking it bckwards?"

- Players who handball stop running towards goal. You can't take advantage of the overlap because each time a player has a possession, they stop running.

-Marking is too easy. Or, marking with short players is too easy. Just the 1 game tonight but McDonald-Tipungwuti was winning every marking contest and I'm sure my timing wasn't that good.

- Spoiling is too easy. Much like the 2011 game, I might just have to set a rule for myself to never spoil because it's too overpowered. You flick the stick and the ball will go 10m past the guy perfectly positioned for the mark and make a beeline for your fist. needs to be far more positioning-based but just with easier timing than marking.

- Handballs still seem to travel further after a bounce than the initial pass.

- Handballs still often go a seemingly random direction.
Combined with the point above, this kills the flow of the game.

- Players don't ever break a tackle. Tacklers just seem to give up. I see someone tackled, the animation of breaking a tackle plays and then the two players just stand next to each other as if the defending player got bored. Either the player with the ball should get a disposal away or the tackler should go to ground as if they're been out-muscled.

- Player sprint speeds seem to vary wildly (for the same player). I'll sprint for a mark and the player seems to be just jogging and then, after the AI marks and plays on, my player's spint to chase them seems twice as fast.

Maybe a skill issue, but I've never won a tuck contest outside of the centre bounce. Are the controls different for a ball-up or throw-in somewhere else?

Images of a different bug below:
-AI won the ball from a ball-up on the wing and handballed into the crowd for seemingly no reason. On viewing the replay, there was a player from each team clipping through the crowd. Presumably they have set relative locations to stand at stoppages that don't work when they're near the boundary, Screenshot 2023-05-06 204348.png Screenshot 2023-05-06 204423.png

Just echoing kingbob's point above, I've noticed sometimes I have a player who by rights probably can't make up enough ground to spoil but if I sprint and try go the spoil suddenly my dude seems to become the Flash and gets superhuman speed.

More likely discs haven't even been printed or some s**t like that though...

I'm not buying the discs that have yet to be printed narrative, the Xbox delay was announced just 2 days prior to the intended release, they would've known at least a week or two in advance if there was a printing issue. There is a possibility that the shipment has been held up at customs which is known to happen for certain products coming into Australia. But going by history an issue with QA is the most likely cause.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just echoing kingbob's point above, I've noticed sometimes I have a player who by rights probably can't make up enough ground to spoil but if I sprint and try go the spoil suddenly my dude seems to become the Flash and gets superhuman speed.
Kinda sounds like the player traits and stats hasn’t been patched in properly just yet
1683372889024.png

Just played a game on PC/Steam. Significant improvement. Still needs a fair bit of work but I'd no longer call it unplayable. Definitely still a bad experience though.

- Player animations take forever. Picking up the ball takes a moment and you can't start turning as you pick it up. Kicking is slow and since you can't immediately turn, you need a huge amount of space to have time to both turn and kick without being tackled. The tackle animations last a second too long. Players will tackle, then after the ball comes lose, they'll slowly stand up and take a few steps forward, whichever way they're facing and then snap back to playing. By that time, someone from 30m away has run through and grabbed the ball anyway. I'd rather see a jarring snap to the next animation than watch a player casually stand up after a tackle, paying no attention to the ball.

- Playing on from a mark or receiving a handball on the run isn't fast or smooth. You receive a running handball and the player basically comes to a complete stop before continuing forward. The same with trying to play on from a mark. It's so slow that by the time it works, you lose any advantage.

- Players just ignore a loose ball too often. The moment a tackle is laid, the closest player from each team should lock on and sprint to recover the ball. At the moment, a ball omes out in the tackle andthere can be 10 or 15 players around it who just stand in one spot ignoring it until someone runs over it.

- Tackling works without holding sprint but it's near useless. Only works when AI runs right at you. (I fear that introducing tackling while sprinting will be a huge problem in multiplayer if the speed of animations in the first 2 points aren't addressed at the same time. But in single player, it would be fine)

- AI still makes horrible decisions. From near the toyota logo, they often kick 50m backwards to a 1 on 1 in my 50 or they'll handball 20m (presumably aimed at the player 2m away) and it'll go straight to my player for an easy goal. Recorded a clip tonight of this and even Huddo chimed in with "Why is he kicking it bckwards?"

- Players who handball stop running towards goal. You can't take advantage of the overlap because each time a player has a possession, they stop running.

-Marking is too easy. Or, marking with short players is too easy. Just the 1 game tonight but McDonald-Tipungwuti was winning every marking contest and I'm sure my timing wasn't that good.

- Spoiling is too easy. Much like the 2011 game, I might just have to set a rule for myself to never spoil because it's too overpowered. You flick the stick and the ball will go 10m past the guy perfectly positioned for the mark and make a beeline for your fist. needs to be far more positioning-based but just with easier timing than marking.

- Players don't ever break a tackle. Tacklers just seem to give up. I see someone tackled, the animation of breaking a tackle plays and then the two players just stand next to each other as if the defending player got bored. Either the player with the ball should get a disposal away or the tackler should go to ground as if they're been out-muscled.

- Player sprint speeds seem to vary wildly (for the same player). I'll sprint for a mark and the player seems to be just jogging and then, after the AI marks and plays on, my player's spint to chase them seems twice as fast.

Maybe a skill issue, but I've never won a tuck contest outside of the centre bounce. Are the controls different for a ball-up or throw-in somewhere else?

-AI won the ball from a ball-up on the wing and handballed into the crowd for seemingly no reason. On viewing the replay, there was a player from each team clipping through the crowd. Presumably they have set relative locations to stand at stoppages that don't work when they're near the boundary, View attachment 1680176View attachment 1680181
Issues (cont.):
  • After a mark, play on is called the moment you stand a kick animation. So you can be tackled while taking a free kick if you're close to the man on the mark.
  • I don't believe High tackles or Push in the Back is in the game.
  • I have no wind indicator on the field and seemingly no wind affecting the ball.
  • Every kick is either perfect or you're takled and pinged for incorrect disposal. I'd like to see some players get a kick away but butcher it. Or sometimes (maybe with a good 'Balance' stat) they could get tackled and still get a decent kick off.

Last edited:
View attachment 1680110
Has anyone got the same issue I have, where Kicking in while playing at ikon park……..the netting is annoying…..
Provide that feedback to BigAntStudios or JNT BA to provide to the team. I gave him a heads up about a tree at Norwood Oval and he was receptive of it - I think he mentioned it’s a different team to the ones working the patches so they can action quicker. Or log a ticket on their site

- here is a video of the latest pc patch - I'm now having trouble winning any centre bounce/ruck - I wonder if it's changed?

I really hope there’s a challenge with goal kicking in the upcoming patches. You don’t seem to miss anything, takes a lot of the fun away. Also the stop start nature of the movements needs addressing.

XqCHMn8.png

Luke Bruest has undergone some form of cosmetic surgery!!

There are clearance kicks and handballs. There are also a complete list of controls in the settings.
Would expect those to be mostly indirected. I just want to be able to clear the man on the mark. Also, pretty sure clearance modifier doesn’t work.

XqCHMn8.png

Luke Bruest has undergone some form of cosmetic surgery!!
Haha tbf my 5 year old who can’t read saw this pic over my shoulder just then and said “we needed him tonight”. Now we know why he missed the game 😂

-AI won the ball from a ball-up on the wing and handballed into the crowd for seemingly no reason. On viewing the replay, there was a player from each team clipping through the crowd. Presumably they have set relative locations to stand at stoppages that don't work when they're near the boundary, View attachment 1680176View attachment 1680181
Great post but why put it here and not in big ants support site so it can get looked at ...

If I could get the same quality as other streamers (getting a kind of blurry motion when going left to right / right to left) so I don't feel as though I'm going blind that would be great :p

Ryzen 7 5800h
32gb ram
Nvidia 3070ti

Should run it decently, but it's a bit patchy in parts.

Also first game completed successfully
Second game, the ball was kicked to the backline and it crashed upon marking.

Ball trail is a good idea, but maybe done differently than a red streak ? (maybe translucent / transparent style dots ?). I was going cross eyed watching it zoom around the screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back