Multiplat AFL 23: Launch Thread (Xbox release date TBC)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
STATE OF PLAY:
  • The game is out for Steam and PlayStation. There have been issues with Xbox release and it is unclear when the game will be available.
  • Big Ant are aware that there are playability issues & bugs at present.
  • Content has been temporarily removed from the game to identify where the issues lie.
  • This content will be re-introduced via patches in the coming days.
  • Big Ant have released a summary of what is to be reintroduced, which can be seen below.

Issues & constructive criticism are best communicated to: support.bigant.com

Michaels Twitch video with QA from Ross(BigAntStudios) from 31:40

Last edited:
One thing I'd love to see implemented JNT BA is the ability to move the right stick to look left and right on end to end camera.

This would be particularly useful at kickouts and when wanting to switch the ball.
At the moment, we have to rely too much on the radar.

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

Wouldn’t mind seeing some more options for things in stadium creator down the line. Not sure who or when this should be directed to but I’m placing it down for future reference if BA wants to update the stadium creator.
I recall in DBC17 I made Windy Hill and I was able to place fences to replicate the bowls club. Haven’t found a way to do such a thing for housing fences or cricket nets. Cricket nets especially, haven’t played a BA cricket game since Ashes but I figure that probably had the option of placing cricket nets.
Also for scoreboards, I’d like some sort of ability to put something that isn’t a massive video screen down. Trying to make my old junior ground but that’s the only thing I can do for the scoreboard, and even then it needs to have stands underneath which I think had to cover with a shed. It works, sure, but it’s not ideal.
Seems as though hills were removed which is a shame, playing on a surface that’s completely flat until the terrain ring isn’t ideal but it’s not a dealbreaker.
The main thing is like to see is the ability to designate standing areas, I only intend to put standing room near the club rooms and whatnot but being able to trickle some people into other areas would be good. Even if it’s as simple as restricting them to the bays in which you’re able to place grandstands and picking which ones should have people, that’d be pretty cool. Either way having a lot of fun, enjoying stadium creator even more for footy given I enjoy the sport more than cricket.

EDIT: need collisions turned on for the fences around the ground in custom grounds, I get why they’d be off for things like cars and trees as it’d make the grounds too complex but the fences are kind of a constant unless they’re off. Just to prevent players and the ball from going straight through.

Wouldn’t mind seeing some more options for things in stadium creator down the line. Not sure who or when this should be directed to but I’m placing it down for future reference if BA wants to update the stadium creator.
I recall in DBC17 I made Windy Hill and I was able to place fences to replicate the bowls club. Haven’t found a way to do such a thing for housing fences or cricket nets. Cricket nets especially, haven’t played a BA cricket game since Ashes but I figure that probably had the option of placing cricket nets.
Also for scoreboards, I’d like some sort of ability to put something that isn’t a massive video screen down. Trying to make my old junior ground but that’s the only thing I can do for the scoreboard, and even then it needs to have stands underneath which I think had to cover with a shed. It works, sure, but it’s not ideal.
Seems as though hills were removed which is a shame, playing on a surface that’s completely flat until the terrain ring isn’t ideal but it’s not a dealbreaker.
The main thing is like to see is the ability to designate standing areas, I only intend to put standing room near the club rooms and whatnot but being able to trickle some people into other areas would be good. Even if it’s as simple as restricting them to the bays in which you’re able to place grandstands and picking which ones should have people, that’d be pretty cool. Either way having a lot of fun, enjoying stadium creator even more for footy given I enjoy the sport more than cricket.
Very fun feature.

This game is driving me insane. Any chance of my players actually staying on their opponents? Everytime I try to mark the ball in the forward 50 I get spoiled and the player just stands there.
Last game I had three blokes standing around near the kicked plus guy on the mark

BigAntStudios just wondering if online and game crashes will be fixed tonight. It is virtually impossible to finish a match in any game mode now and is beginning to become very frustrating. When I spend 100$ I expect to atleast be able to finish A game. Am yet to finish a single game on play now/ manager or online today since the patch.

So this game has basically been out for a week now. First AFL game since 2020 and BA have already lost some of their biggest streamers to 2k/Golf/Fifa and whatever else. Seriously impressive to lose a pro AFL crowd with a brand new game within a week

I think a lot will re purchase down the track. I’m sure most people will keep track of videos on YouTube etc and once they see some good gameplay I don’t think people will be able to resist.

I think a lot will re purchase down the track. I’m sure most people will keep track of videos on YouTube etc and once they see some good gameplay I don’t think people will be able to resist.
Definitely why I kept it. I got more intrigued, today, when I had a running option teammate. Great innovation.

Gameplay has improved since yesterday but game is still horrid.

Now every time I spoil, the opposition ALWAYS get to the ball first. Dunno if its just me but I'm playing on medium difficulty and have controls on Fully Assisted.

Curious to know what’s gonna be in todays patch
Apart from the aforementioned, stability (less crashing).

I can understand that. As I have no idea how it works behind the scenes apart from what has been posted on here. Example: fixing handballs, it being intertwined with something else which causes a knock on effect for something else. I might be just speaking for myself here but I don’t think we realise how much work goes into fixing the mechanics and bits and pieces that are being fixed.

You guys would know that you might fix something which effects something else, knowing that people are going to be happy that somethings fixed but then have a sook about the rebound error which pops up somewhere else.
A little like the irl game itself, tinker with a rule and changes cascade from there, we make a change and cause/reduce congestion etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Know someone who works at Big Ant and he said someone stuffed up real bad. Said they’ll be doing patches just about ever day and they’ll be working overtime for the next month including weekends to get it all cleaned up.

Know someone who works at Big Ant and he said someone stuffed up real bad. Said they’ll be doing patches just about ever day and they’ll be working overtime for the next month including weekends to get it all cleaned up.
THIS! is what i like. Gets me so excited beyond what i've seen and played so far for whats to come! thankyou Big Ant!

New patch is a big improvement on the last one, game is enjoyable to play at times for the first time since launch. Things I still think need work:

1) Still takes too long to move after receiving a disposal, kills momentum, particularly when you get that chest mark animation off a 3m handball

2) Either I’m doing something wrong or tackling is very hard, had like 3 total in a 15 minute game, needs a bigger radius when sprint tackling. I don’t want evo 2 level of tackling but this is tough

3) Ruck and mark contests need an indicator to tell me what I’m doing right/wrong. Too many times the outcome I anticipated in accordance with my past game knowledge was wrong and I’ve got no idea why

4) Probably the least pressing but it feels like the AI are untouchable at times, that as soon as I get within 3m they find this perfect handball behind them to alleviate pressure. Compounded with the tackling being broken makes the player feel powerless against the AI at times

If anyone disagrees or has tips to alleviate some of my issues please respond lmao

Just played a quick match during my break - 5 min quarters on Medium, Sydney vs Hawks. Ended up going down 90-56.

The game is much improved since launch (though admittedly that was a very low bar), and this match felt properly 'playable', and in significant patches enjoyable versus some of the earlier versions.

What I enjoyed:
  • Chaining together kicks feels rewarding when you get it right.
  • Different player archetypes feel appropriately different to control. Trying to break through the lines with Tom Hickey feels much more difficult (almost impossible) than with Nick Blakey. It feels much easier to slot a set shot from 50 with Buddy versus Ryan Clarke. Kudos to BA here because this often wasn't the case in previous AFL games where most players felt exactly the same to control.
  • There are flashes of gameplay that're really fun and 'feel' like real footy.

What I didn't enjoy:
  • AI seems to have a much, much easier time working the ball through congestion than the player. It's still harder than I'd like to string together a chain of handballs to get into space, though it has improved since Day 1.
  • Frequently defending players seem to get uncontrollably sucked onto/around the mark and can't be moved back to defend. I conceded several goals as a result of one or two of my players getting stuck between or next to the man on the mark and the ball carrier whilst their men ran into open space further down the field. Feels like this definitely needs to be fixed to enable the human player the ability to defend properly.
  • Tackling still feels harder than it should be. I feel like a 'home in on ball carrier' button (R1?) is needed to help you track the player with the ball, cause right now I feel like I'm sprinting past the opposition trying to lay a tackle more often than not. Not sure if this will improve with practice
  • AI movement is still pretty wacky a lot of the time (as mentioned a lot on this thread).

What I'd love to see:
  • The ability to orientate your player on a free kick/mark. Would help loads ensuring you're targeting the right player down-field.
  • Smoother switching of players. A few times it felt like I conceded because I was being auto-switched to entirely the wrong player, when a more appropriate switch would've prevented an AI goal/move.

I know it's a sensitive question as it depends on a range of factors and you don't want to over-promise, but are we still likely to get custom online matches sometime this week? TBH it's the feature I'm likely to use most so I'm particularly invested in when it will be re-introduced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back