Multiplat AFL 23: Launch Thread (Xbox release date TBC)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
STATE OF PLAY:
  • The game is out for Steam and PlayStation. There have been issues with Xbox release and it is unclear when the game will be available.
  • Big Ant are aware that there are playability issues & bugs at present.
  • Content has been temporarily removed from the game to identify where the issues lie.
  • This content will be re-introduced via patches in the coming days.
  • Big Ant have released a summary of what is to be reintroduced, which can be seen below.

Issues & constructive criticism are best communicated to: support.bigant.com

Michaels Twitch video with QA from Ross(BigAntStudios) from 31:40

Last edited:
IF momentum is a thing in this game yet, I dare say that’s what’s causing the big differences in results
I was down by 2 goals at qtr time to the Saints and ended up kicking 7 goals to 1 in the second qtr
Ended up running away with it from there on out
It could be that momentum is possibly too OP atm

I think it's full random

I struggled against Blues after HT and got spanked and then the next game I demolished Tigers.....I know it's two different teams but just seems random

On the flipside...isn't that how real AFL goes. I feel like different teams play different ways, though that could just be confirmation bias. But different teams definitely have different strengths and match ups will vary.

Personally would have loved that in previous AFL games. It's FIFA esque too. Sometimes demolish teams you should and other times not. You do want it to be related to skill of the team at least somewhat but personally feel like it is, nowhere near enough sample size to have confidence though.

I swear Ross said difficulty would be adjusted in Today's patch (tomorrow for Ps5).

Seems a lot of people missed that or I've missed something? 🤔
My concern with this is that I just hope they don’t make the hardest difficulty too easy like AFL Live. Literally hadn’t played that game for like 4 years and got on for the first time about a month before the release of AFL 23 and won my second game on the hardest difficulty by 80pts on 5 min qtrs
Didn’t touch the game again after that
Just wasn’t fun to me

My concern with this is that I just hope they don’t make the hardest difficulty too easy like AFL Live. Literally hadn’t played that game for like 4 years and got on for the first time about a month before the release of AFL 23 and won my second game on the hardest difficulty by 80pts on 5 min qtrs
Didn’t touch the game again after that
Just wasn’t fun to me

Completely agree. Hardest should be bloody hard. I don't even care if it feels a bit cheaty, I mean I do, but I'd rather a cheaty hardest option than no challenge. Obviously ideal result is hard but not cheaty.

I swear Ross said difficulty would be adjusted in Today's patch (tomorrow for Ps5).

Seems a lot of people missed that or I've missed something? 🤔
Difficulty will be the big change for tomorrow's patch, so people can really select a level that suits their standard, along with more AI balancing.
Posted yesterday and I assume meaning tonight’s patch

Didn’t touch it after that
Just wasn’t fun to me
Ross said, and don't quote me, something about using the data from 10,000's of games played so far to adjust the difficulties.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d be happy if this game could represent AFL Lives player movement and Evo’s tackling and handballing
Keep the kicking as it is because that’s the only saving grace about the game so far
Would then feel comfortable enough to start a management mode rather than just doing play now

Ross said, and don't quote me, something about using the data from 10,000's of games played so far to adjust the difficulties.
There have been changes but tomorrow will see a more definitive set of difficulties as we use the analytics of w/l ratios of players in the 10000's of matches played so far.
From the man himself

I’d be happy if this game could represent AFL Lives player movement and Evo’s tackling and handballing
Keep the kicking as it is because that’s the only saving grace about the game so far
Would then feel comfortable enough to start a management mode rather than just doing play now

Forgetting the crashes?

Completely agree. Hardest should be bloody hard. I don't even care if it feels a bit cheaty, I mean I do, but I'd rather a cheaty hardest option than no challenge. Obviously ideal result is hard but not cheaty.
It’s a fine balance
That’s why I wish team ratings were actually realistic and not everyone was an 87-90
Should still be able to get comfortable wins every now and again whilst also having tough games against harder opposition
Player ratings are essentially useless as the game currently is

It’s a fine balance
That’s why I wish team ratings were actually realistic and not everyone was an 87-90
Should still be able to get comfortable wins every now and again whilst also having tough games against harder opposition
Player ratings are essentially useless as the game currently is

Mm disagree re player ratings. I definitely notice better played shrug more tackles and win more marking contests which is really important. I guess the other key component to observe would be player ratings influencing who picks up a contested ground ball, which currently seems to be all position. But I do think there's noticeable differences in the 2 areas I mentioned. Maurice rioli has been outmarked every aerial contest whereas lynch rarely loses them..

Yep. That's what I thought. So let's just relax on the difficulty stuff lads.
There's a difference between adjusting a working difficulty setting to tweaks things IE make easiest slightly harder or easier than the difficulties being mixed up and not working at all. One is standard improvements the other seems to be a bug. If its not talked about they may not be aware its happening. I am/was aware of what Ross had said but he also said but he has said they have aimed for certain things the night before and clearly their plans change throughout the day with what they are seeing in feedback (evidence by one night saying they were aiming for online updates a couple of nights ago which don't apper to have fully happened). Unlike certain other topics or points to fix I don't think the difficulty had been spoken about in the context of it being backwards that much. But hopefully the intended fixes in tonight's patch will rectify.

On the flipside...isn't that how real AFL goes. I feel like different teams play different ways, though that could just be confirmation bias. But different teams definitely have different strengths and match ups will vary.

Personally would have loved that in previous AFL games. It's FIFA esque too. Sometimes demolish teams you should and other times not. You do want it to be related to skill of the team at least somewhat but personally feel like it is, nowhere near enough sample size to have confidence though.
You're right, but there's something going on here.

Easy, spanked. Medium, close. Hard, a bit tougher than medium (imo).

It's frustrating that the issues are commercial in confidence. For example, if the devs can access the sliders they probably would have fine tuned a few things like make tackling a bit more effective, bumped up the disposal error rate of the AI and so on. 85% is elite standard and we're well over 90% for all AI players. So... does that mean sliders aren't a thing? Could that be ground zero for a lot of the issues?

Similarly Evo 2 had 'distance from player' aka manning up, presumably this is a variable too. It hasn't been touched, again suggesting that we shouldn't get our hopes up for modifying this ourselves anytime soon.

Hopefully one day Ross can give us a bit of a deep dive on the shit show that was the launch and explain what parts of the code were smashed, why it was so hard to restore from a backup etc. I don't think he has to throw anyone under a bus to do this, nor is it required. It would just be a really interesting story that will no doubt increase our appreciation for the types of things that can go wrong inside the code.

Anyone figured out player development in Manager yet?

Currently doing a Freo save and bring other players “home” to WA and can’t seem to get any growth from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back