Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2: Pro Team, more like No Team

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happy to live by a sword and die by it, my bias is clear, I am the CEO of Big Ant Studios.

The reason many of the posts look like personal attacks is because they are - cowards hiding their biases behind the anonymity of the internet and having a sook should anyone ever call them out on it.

Apologies - a tactics texture error that the team couldn't trap by the end of the day. They'll be in early tomorrow to make sure it gets done.
I’m actually off to bed anyway, no big deal personally! I’ll download either in the morning or tomorrow night 👌🏻

Happy to live by a sword and die by it, my bias is clear, I am the CEO of Big Ant Studios.

The reason many of the posts look like personal attacks is because they are - cowards hiding their biases behind the anonymity of the internet and having a sook should anyone ever call them out on it.

Apologies - a tactics texture error that the team couldn't trap by the end of the day. They'll be in early tomorrow to make sure it gets done.
So will PS5 still get it tomorrow or more likely to be Wednesday?

Oh the irony

Tomorrow.. why would it be Wednesday? Nit sure why there's confusion? Unless I've missed something.
Patches come out the night of for Steam, early morning for consoles.

Patch notes says PS5 will get it on the 6th, if that’s the patch on the 6th, PS5 won’t get it until the 7th.

So will PS5 still get it tomorrow or more likely to be Wednesday?
We'll try to get it in as early as possible but as our "local" PlayStation HQ is SCEE in London, it will be based on their timezone - short answer, likely live in the AM of Wednesday if history is to be relied upon.

Patches come out the night of for Steam, early morning for consoles.

Patch notes says PS5 will get it on the 6th, if that’s the patch on the 6th, PS5 won’t get it until the 7th.
Ahhhhh gotchya.. cheers for explaining.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

grantorino-clint.gif

Lasted until half time, will try again when the next patch drops!

One thing I've wanted for years is player tactics.

At the moment it's all team based which doesn't truly represent the nature of how teams play.

I want to be able to tell my chf to get up the ground and help midfield. Or have a player loose in defence. Or tell my wingers to stay in wide areas only. Or be able to set a tagger.
Or maybe even tell my full forward, to lead to the pockets and not straight ahead.

This would truly make your team in management mode feel like it's your team. And also make the players feel unique. You should feel differences in how players play depending on what role their assigned.

It would bring stats into the game more. I.e. players like Jeremy Cameron are much better at pushing up the ground than say Taylor Walker.

Played half a game, tactics are awesome. Played zone, defensive mids vs Freo and they'd have basically all their backmen spare when they had the ball. But, sometimes they'd attempt a long switch and my zone players would come closing down the space. Never got an intercept but had some close calls.

Was worried tactics would be imbalanced and may still turn out that way, but from first play through the Zone didn't seem OP/UP vs man on man.

Marking contests are finally balanced! This was probably my biggest core mechanic gripe for a while, now almost solved. I still think the CHF v CHB results in too many marks, would love to see 50-50 where both players attempt a mark result in far more spills than marks, but every other type of contest felt right.

List of glitches/bugs that still make the game not playable for more than a game here or there;
  • CHANGE PLAYER - this is game breaking currently. Will have a marking contest and won't get control of the player. As I flick around trying to find him I'm too late and meanwhile I've move 2-3 other players into bad positions.
  • When there's a disposal mid tackle, it always goes toward a teammate if one is around. Both opposition and player. These need to be far more random, needs to be an element of risk disposing during a tackle. As it is now as soon as the ball comes out during a tackle, 90% of the time the tackle was redundant.
  • The supersonic speed player glitch where they come from nowhere to get the ball
  • Handballs going not where directed fairly consistently
  • The large zone around the mark. Didn't notice if this had been reduced or not but still seemed problematic.
  • Players still encroaching the mark during kick outs
  • Can't win a goddamn hitout with Nank in centre bounce. Around the grounds I couldn't lose a tap and in the centre bounce I couldn't win one, so ruck contests need balancing.

One suggestion for the camera angle issues. If we could change the camera angle with the right stick after a mark that would be awesome. Personally I don't really use the right stick for selecting targets, I just aim with left stick and adjust power to hit a target. But even if we kept that, could use a modifier button to make the R stick move the camera angle. Would love to be able to rotate it quickly when taking the kick and then have it instantly snap back once the kick is complete.

Is goalkicking (both set shot, and on the run) still completely broken?

On Pixel 7 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Goal kicking/set shots is the one thing that has been working/ is the best part of the game since launch. How is it broken? Maybe you need to practise and get better 🫡

Last edited:
One thing I've wanted for years is player tactics.

At the moment it's all team based which doesn't truly represent the nature of how teams play.

I want to be able to tell my chf to get up the ground and help midfield. Or have a player loose in defence. Or tell my wingers to stay in wide areas only. Or be able to set a tagger.
Or maybe even tell my full forward, to lead to the pockets and not straight ahead.

This would truly make your team in management mode feel like it's your team. And also make the players feel unique. You should feel differences in how players play depending on what role their assigned.

It would bring stats into the game more. I.e. players like Jeremy Cameron are much better at pushing up the ground than say Taylor Walker.
Would love quick select tactics, too. I think they're next. All out defence, defence, balanced, attack, to all out attack. Have CPU players come in for hand ball support with 1-2, 1-2 plays.

Anyway back to the game. That tactic screen looks no deeper than evo 2. Is that correct for those that have played both?

Anyway back to the game. That tactic screen looks no deeper than evo 2. Is that correct for those that have played both?
nope.

much different stoppage set-ups. forward line changes. zone affects the way the ai react.

pretty happy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back