Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2: Pro Team, more like No Team

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I definitely get what you’re saying.
But I think also that the bigfooty posters are the more passionate consumer base for BA.
Despite the frustration and at times over the top comments on here I feel most of it is with the best interests of the game at heart.
Oh I agree.. I do believe most people on here have the games best interest at heart and provide constructive, considered concerns, comments and ideas. It’s great and I love seeing the ideas and love the banter at times. But I also think that some can take there beliefs abit personal (complain about something they think is important) & get on here and act like they speak for everyone or that’s what they believe they’re doing. We have to remember we are just a small percentage of the user base.

Last edited:
Because there would be the perception the outcome can be avoided. In practice it won't be the case, hence not loading up the penalty.

The injury equivalent would be something like Joe Bloggs will rupture his hernia if he does a speccy, but all your other players will miss a week or two at most. I'd hazard a guess that BA are not doing that type of modelling.

It would be extremely easy to do that type of modelling.

Since alot of people “on here” want to be able to change a players stats in management mode, do we actually know how many people outside of here want to be able to do it?
I think the community in here has to realise we are only a small portion of the games user base. It may be a nice to have option in management mode, but I doubt it’s as big of an issue as some on here make it out to be.

I even trawled through the Oz Gaming AFL 23 page on Facebook and have yet to see anyone on there complain about it or even ask for it. I’m guessing outside of here there probably isn’t many people requesting it enough, for it to be a big issue for Big Ant to address, atleast in the short term.

I guess for now, it is what it is and we should probs concerns ourselves with other issues with the game right now, ie getting the best version of the gameplay.
That group’s purpose is more so for online gaming/match making, no? Not surprised there isn’t much talk about management mode

Just played a game on hard difficulty... Definitely much more challenging compared to playing on medium.

I'm still finding marking too easy. 8/10 times, I'll mark the ball.

AI goal kicking is atrocious. They kicked 5.5 but missed everything (out on the full) about 5 times as well.. from slightest angles to dead in front. Glad to see the wind is a factor, but maybe it too strong in some instances? Definitely needs tweaking.

Just be thankful that we get a AFL GAME TO PLAY.

We have a plethora of AFL games to pick from that don't glitch out. Only downside is the playing squads are out dated!

I guess for now, it is what it is and we should probs concerns ourselves with other issues with the game right now, ie getting the best version of the gameplay.

Correct the game play needs to improve substantially before they tinker more with management mode. The legend/card game portion is DOA if the game stays as it is. Nobody should be happy about the teleporting or the players freezing.

I've put over 100hrs into the game (a large part in Academy for logos and teams) in the hope these patches would improve the issues at launch but I'm now at the point where this game is more frustrating than it is fun to play in offline mode (play now, season).

That's dedication I'm around the 50 hour mark!!

JNT BA was nice enough to respond to the Steam review I left a few weeks ago (which was when I was more optimistic about the patching path of the game).

AFL is a difficult game to follow (for outsiders) let alone trying to program a game based on a team sport with 36 players, plus umpires etc. It's not easy, but yet it CAN be done.

Last edited:
That group’s purpose is more so for online gaming/match making, no? Not surprised there isn’t much talk about management mode
No you’re right, but there are people on there posting ideas and asking questions, also talking about issues and I’ve seen a couple of questions about management mode. Im not saying it’s the place you go for the most accurate and gospel reporting, information or guide on everyone’s thoughts but still. It’s still point of view from people playing the game.

BigAntStudios

Providing an answer on how much deeper management mode is going to become will go a long way to filling people with some confidence.

At the moment, it feels like what we have is what we are going to get, and currently it’s very light on for features.

Are we going to be able to coach VFL, WAFL, etc teams?
Are we going to see improvements in our drafted young players to turn them into superstars?
Are we going to get the immersive experience of emails, public relations, interviews, etc?
The absolute radio silence on this is astonishing. With a game in such a poor position, you'd think at the bare minimum you can say what will be added to management mode if anything. I get the feeling all questions about this are ignored because they simply don't plan on making it better, and don't want to tell us.

Edit: Considering the big promoters of the game in Twistie and Caden have openly said they refuse to start their management modes until the game is better and the mode is deeper, amazes me why all queries about it are ignored. The two biggest marketers of the game aren't playing it for a good reason, and nothing is being done to fix it.

Last edited:
To me it appears the only actual mode that’s complete is Play Now!!!!
I've put over 100hrs into the game (a large part in Academy for logos and teams) in the hope these patches would improve the issues at launch but I'm now at the point where this game is more frustrating than it is fun to play in offline mode (play now, season).

Main show stoppers for me:
  • CPU almost impossible to win a tackle free against
  • When the ball spills free from a tackle there is always another CPU player there even after 4 or 5 tackles in a row (hello EVO 2)
  • Winning a free yet AI decide to play on/take advantage
  • CPU, when well tackled, can still ping a 30m handball/kick lace out to a free teammate
  • CPU can do things human players cannot eg, rocket handballs, no need to power up kicks or handballs in general
  • Player selection is scuffed
  • Invisible walls
  • No 360° control of your players
  • Turning circle of the QE II but not for CPU who can turn on a 5c piece and run straight in any direction
  • Inability to pick up a loose ball, players standing around dumbfounded then CPU swoops in like a seagull on a chip
  • Ghosting through players when you attempt to tackle
  • Incorrectly applying AFL rules eg, rushed behind being a throw-in

Not to mention the known glitches such 50m handballs in the wrong direction and flash/warping players etc.

Some bloke on FB claims that they heard from EB games that Xbox will release on June 16th. Can anyone confirm?
Yeah, that was my mates brothers sisters husbands daughters friend from school who works at EB.

In all serious.. haven't heard a thing. Got an old mate from school back in the day who is a manager at local EB and even he knows nothing at this stage.

Oh man, get home from work, as a ps5 user am looking forward to tactics patch which we didn’t get yesterday, but then I read the game is no good with the specky patch added. Guess the wait continues for another day 😩
How's it feel knowing us ratings freaks can't edit the player stats haha

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depends on which stage of the rehab both players are in currently..

but seriously, I completely understand why everyone wants to do it because most of us don't agree with a lot of the stats provided not just in the game but in general CD info we see day to day, I get it, I understand it.

But all I'm giving is the why this isn't possible at this moment in time.

People don't have to like that, but I feel the quicker they get their head around the why the less frustrated they might be? Maybe not though.

Just simply providing context.
The reason you're giving for why we can't do it actually frustrates us more. That's why you're still getting push back

Why is some outside source being such a total shit about this when it literally won't effect them in any way. Their stats can still be in online mode and that ultimate team thing. We are only asking to edit for career mode. Is it really gonna kill CD ?

Either that's the reason or the real reason is big ant are that pig headed themselves that they think those ratings are gospel and are Too proud to change it like they are too proud to admit fault for this debacle of a game.

Oh I agree.. I do believe most people on here have the games best interest at heart and provide constructive, considered concerns, comments and ideas. It’s great and I love seeing the ideas and love the banter at times. But I also think that some can take there beliefs abit personal (complain about something they think is important) & get on here and act like they speak for everyone or that’s what they believe they’re doing. We have to remember we are just a small percentage of the user base.
I wonder how many ppl wanted the manual bounce button outside of here... Yet they still coded that in..

The reason you're giving for why we can't do it actually frustrates us more. That's why you're still getting push back

Why is some outside source being such a total s**t about this when it literally won't effect them in any way. Their stats can still be in online mode and that ultimate team thing. We are only asking to edit for career mode. Is it really gonna kill CD ?

Either that's the reason or the real reason is big ant are that pig headed themselves that they think those ratings are gospel and are Too proud to change it like they are too proud to admit fault for this debacle of a game.

Yeah, it's the latter. There's no universe where the afl and/or champion data care about whether gamers are changing the inbuilt ratings for a video game to play off-line in their own time.

Online sure, not off-line.

I wonder how many ppl wanted the manual bounce button outside of here... Yet they still coded that in..
I could be wrong but I think having the manual bounce is pretty much a staple of afl games in general. But you do make a point, however manual bouncing is probs something that can be easily added and coded into the game.

Not sure how easy editing stats in management mode would be to implement, considering the stats are already tied directly to the champion data stats and it appears everything else in manage mode flows and is directly impacted from those CD stats. Could be a pain to add and code in the ability to edit stats, atleast in the in short term. Unless there is a real big push for being able to edit players in management mode or it’s becomes a big issue for majority of people I don’t think it’s going to be fixed in the short term.

Big ant has given reasons why it’s not available in the game so I think it’s something people are just gonna have to let go for the time being and let them focus on the bigger issues with the game.

I could be wrong but I think having the manual bounce is pretty much a staple of afl games in general. But you do make a point, however manual bouncing is probs something that can be easily added and coded into the game.

Not sure how easy editing stats in management mode would be to implement, considering the stats are already tied directly to the champion data stats and it appears everything else in manage mode flows and is directly impacted from those CD stats. Could be a pain to add and code in the ability to edit stats, atleast in the in short term. Unless there is a real big push for being able to edit players in management mode or it’s becomes a big issue for majority of people I don’t think it’s going to be fixed in the short term.

Big ant has given reasons why it’s not available in the game so I think it’s something people are just gonna have to let go for the time being and let them focus on the bigger issues with the game.
Agreed. As much as I want, I don’t think it’s gonna happen until the next iteration of the game.

How's it feel knowing us ratings freaks can't edit the player stats haha
I’m actually fine with it 😉 The player attributes are actually way more accurate than past games. And sure the team ratings are a bit too similar, but ah well.

All in all, the ratings are backed by data.
Also saves me a bit of time so if it’s good enough for CD, it’s good enough for me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back