Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2: Pro Team, more like No Team

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the streams in the days leading up to the release, it seemed to play fine
Those betas/demos were heavily criticized at the time and were called "frankenstein builds" by the developer as a reasoning for how off it looked. Not sure why I'm seeing claims of a "good beta build", on review they look worse than the current build.

Those betas/demos were heavily criticized at the time and were called "frankenstein builds" by the developer as a reasoning for how off it looked. Not sure why I'm seeing claims of a "good beta build", on review they look worse than the current build.

Certainly seems like revisionist history to a degree, though the game at launch was undoubtedly even more broken.

Oh man, I’ve been doing a season mode as all 18 clubs. Up to round 3 playing as the Lions v Dogs. Stats were going perfectly, Dunkley and Neale dominating the clearances, Andrews taking intercept marks left right and centre, McCluggage and Ashcroft had bopped up for a goal each. Daniher and Charlie with 3 each. Was playing with high forward tactics and The best I’ve played, was winning 87-36 on 5 minute quarters, 2.5 minutes to go in the 4th quarter. Charlie Cameron had just marked the ball high at half forward, was about to do a handball to Bailey on the run into space, and then… THE GAME CRASHES!!!! Can’t bring myself to play the same game again. So deflating.

Oh man, I’ve been doing a season mode as all 18 clubs. Up to round 3 playing as the Lions v Dogs. Stats were going perfectly, Dunkley and Neale dominating the clearances, Andrews taking intercept marks left right and centre, McCluggage and Ashcroft had bopped up for a goal each. Daniher and Charlie with 3 each. Was playing with high forward tactics and The best I’ve played, was winning 87-36 on 5 minute quarters, 2.5 minutes to go in the 4th quarter. Charlie Cameron had just marked the ball high at half forward, was about to do a handball to Bailey on the run into space, and then… THE GAME CRASHES!!!! Can’t bring myself to play the same game again. So deflating.
How are we still getting crashes at this stage?

i still think i'd rather this game with some bandaids here and there over some other developer who doesn't have the budget, y'know. I dunno. y'know. Nacom their publisher has 54 million invested in Big Ant games, in fact they bought them out or Acquired them i should say. That's pretty hot dang cool! So they have a good foundation and investment to grow these games a bit. Anyway, i gotta go and make some dinner.

Last edited:
Slow updates will be the death of this game if it’s not already dead. Can’t believe handballing is still as broken as it is 2 months in.
Can’t see how ProTeam will launch before the Xbox copies come out like they claim

I mean it's a bit of as stretch to say it's dead. It definitely has potential to really grow, they have the foundations here, in my opinion, and i like how it reminds me of Fifa in terms of gameplay and design. I quite like that, y'know, but umm..yeh, so, well, if it was me i'd probably be splashing money into re-advertising the game a bit. But anyway. That's my 2 cents.

They might be better off writing this year off and to improve it for next year or something, i dunno.

Last edited:
honestly feeling like there's almost zero chance I grab this on xbox when it comes out. I've spent too much time in this thread that I'm burnt out from AFL 23 :drunk:

Not surprised BA got their own forum up and running, where they can employ the mods, to delete without consequence.

Happy to be proven wrong I guess. Maybe they chuck it on gamepass for me.

I played it for a bit last night, I didn't mind it even with all of the quirks throughout.

Handballing is still wonky but muchhhh better than I last remember. I've gotten the hang of handballing into free space and collecting it again when I have no other viable options.

Still need to adjust my style as I'm giving away many 50m penalties per quarter.... let alone the entire game :p

How are we still getting crashes at this stage?

Obviously needs more stability!!

honestly feeling like there's almost zero chance I grab this on xbox when it comes out. I've spent too much time in this thread that I'm burnt out from AFL 23 :drunk:

Every bug and glitch would need to be ironed out for me to even remotely consider double dipping. As it is, they have very little chance. And this is coming from someone who was willing to (wanted to get xbox and pc concurrently) - I have Evolution 2 on multiple platforms and same as Evo 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Slow updates will be the death of this game if it’s not already dead. Can’t believe handballing is still as broken as it is 2 months in.
Can’t see how ProTeam will launch before the Xbox copies come out like they claim
Have to disagree with you there. Handballing is a lot better than it was at release, not perfect but significant improvements. In the contest, make sure you are not holding R2 to sprint when you handball. Also if the player you are aiming at is within 5 metres of you, you only need to tap the handball button, you don’t need to hold it down unless the player is quite far away.

Have to disagree with you there. Handballing is a lot better than it was at release, not perfect but significant improvements. In the contest, make sure you are not holding R2 to sprint when you handball. Also if the player you are aiming at is within 5 metres of you, you only need to tap the handball button, you don’t need to hold it down unless the player is quite far away.
Is it possible to have 1 team bugged ?

I actually played a game with GC and handballing seemed better (not great, but better)
Then just for the sake of conspiracy theories, I played again as the dons and it seemed miles off the game prior.

Can someone on PS5 (who doesn’t normally use Essendon) put this to the test for me. Am I just crazy or is this a thing ?

Is it possible to have 1 team bugged ?

I actually played a game with GC and handballing seemed better (not great, but better)
Then just for the sake of conspiracy theories, I played again as the dons and it seemed miles off the game prior.

Can someone on PS5 (who doesn’t normally use Essendon) put this to the test for me. Am I just crazy or is this a thing ?
I will put it to the test tonight

just to clarify so there isn't any blurred lines, the builds that we played / streamed days before the launch were NOT the Frankenstine build, that build was what was used at the launch party.

What was streamed was the submission build. The submission build was well ahead of the Frankenstine build at the launch party.

What we have right now is well ahead of the submission build.

But the submission build was well ahead of what ended up releasing at launch, which as we know was not meant to be the case.

So while the submission builds still had their criticisims they were still a decent build for its intended purpose.

Haven't played this game for almost 2 weeks - Can't believe PS5 hasn't got a substantial update/patch since they added tactics.. Can appreciate they're in the testing phase before releasing but damn.. This is killing any interest in wanting to play the game again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back