Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you on crack? AFL Evo 1 was an abomination. I am a complete tragic for AFL games and I couldn't even go past 2h of gameplay it was so awful. You are talking rubbish.

lol I put in quite a few hundred hours in both Evo 1 and 2. Blow flow far better in game play than AFL 23 has so far. Kicks, hand balls could be chain linked with ease. Marking was very easy as well.

AFL 23 has potential but so far it's unrealised, and that's not even factoring in the constant bugs that currently occupy the game.

lol I put in quite a few hundred hours in both Evo 1 and 2. Blow flow far better in game play than AFL 23 has so far. Kicks, hand balls could be chain linked with ease. Marking was very easy as well.

I daresay you're one of very few who enjoys beating the AI by hundreds of points consistently. Which may explain why you're the only one who thinks evo gameplay was better than 23.

Not sure how marking being easier is a positive. The mechanic in 23 is very logical, only difference is you don't auto win

I daresay you're one of very few who enjoys beating the AI by hundreds of points consistently. Which may explain why you're the only one who thinks evo gameplay was better than 23.

Not sure how marking being easier is a positive. The mechanic in 23 is very logical, only difference is you don't auto win
All sports games will have exploits, you can rinse and repeat those to gain great margins but in single player you're just cheating yourself, in online you're an a$$ - we will try to balance, tune, etc. the exploits out of the game but the focus for that is mainly online.

The AI in 23 is not very complicated and easy to win against, even on Hardest.

Nothing wrong with thrashing the AI in any game. I recently double perfected every round in the original Street Fighter 2 on the hardest difficulty setting, that was pretty epic.

Marking was a complaint involving 1 and 2.... including by many on this very forum. I found it easy and just like AFL 23 it can be done blindfolded!!

All sports games will have exploits, you can rinse and repeat those to gain great margins but in single player you're just cheating yourself, in online you're an a$$ - we will try to balance, tune, etc. the exploits out of the game but the focus for that is mainly online.

Technically not exploiting if you're just able to clunk the majority of marks and have fast enough reflexes to move the ball along avoiding both normal and teleported tackles!

Obviously skill levels vary, in the single online game of 23 that I played I got belted by several hundred points myself. At least my in score was high and not scoreless lol.

So PS4 still has tactics online but PS5 doesn't.

Playing against a mate right now and the game glitches out and hangs before every coin toss until one of us quits.

Here's a pic he just sent me when he paused the game and saw tactics while we were waiting for the coin toss.

20230611_160947.jpg

The AI in 23 is not very complicated and easy to win against, even on Hardest.

Nothing wrong with thrashing the AI in any game. I recently double perfected every round in the original Street Fighter 2 on the hardest difficulty setting, that was pretty epic.

Marking was a complaint involving 1 and 2.... including by many on this very forum. I found it easy and just like AFL 23 it can be done blindfolded!!

Technically not exploiting if you're just able to clunk the majority of marks and have fast enough reflexes to move the ball along avoiding both normal and teleported tackles!

Obviously skill levels vary, in the single online game of 23 that I played I got belted by several hundred points myself. At least my in score was high and not scoreless lol.

Certainly don't agree afl 23 is too easy on hardest. But not sure how much of that is due to Richmond's ruck disadvantage

Completely agree. But, all previous afl games have been essentially ruined for off-line play by having exploits that are also core gameplay mechanics.

If for example the exploit in afl live was just bumping, because the AI didn't bump, that would be fine. But even taking away bumping and playing normally was too easy, and to have a challenge I'd have to set rules for myself which really stifles the enjoyment.

So far what I'm seeing in afl 23 is great in this area. Obviously balancing and bug fixes to come but the mechanics are feeling largely well balanced. Hitting leads or kicking long or handballing, all carry risk but all offer their own advantages.

Something I have noticed recently, but not sure on the cause. Does player fatigue now have a material effect on gameplay? I've not used subs or interchanges due to the issues I've been reading since I started playing, but in recent patches it's seemed like some of my players have been fatiguing late and unable to sprint much at all.

Has been too inconsistent to tell whether this has been fatigue related or just a glitch though. Are you able to confirm whether fatigue behaves this way?

AFL 23 has potential but so far it's unrealised, and that's not even factoring in the constant bugs that currently occupy the game.
The 2011 AFL game they were trying to imitate was much better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The 2011 AFL game they were trying to imitate was much better.

I wasn't a fan of Live 2011 wayyyy too many stoppages. Again when learning to play the way the AI forces you to it became rather simplistic to move the ball coast to coast.

I thought Live 2004 Premiership Editions AI difficulty was really strong and a decent challenge.

I wasn't a fan of Live 2011 wayyyy too many stoppages. Again when learning to play the way the AI forces you to it became rather simplistic to move the ball coast to coast.

I thought Live 2004 Premiership Editions AI difficulty was really strong and a decent challenge.
That's not true in my case, I was able to hand ball chain away from packs, the game was the best in that area with the use of hand balling. IR Gurus games were all "win ruck, kick, mark, goal" style of games.

Can only put up with Huddo for so long before it becomes worthy of the mute button.
I hear that, I usually play with commentary being very low.

I don't mind the current setup with Huddo calling, Harford Analyst and Garry boundary for AFL & Bennett calling, Underwood Analyst and Harford boundary for AFLW. But Huddo can get annoying, I haven't played many AFLW (max 5-6 matches) but Bennett isn't that annoying.

If Hamish is added then it's not always going to be Huddo calling matches and there would be respite and variety.

Wow... I've been away for a few days and yeah, Not really much of any substance has happened.

I think I'll wrap up my journey here. I'd like to say it was a pleasure being a part of this but that would be a complete lie. It's been a whole bunch of garbage these threads and I honestly wish I could take that time back but honestly, I wish we all could have met in different circumstances. I'm sure you're all very lovely people. We all just happened to meet in the wrong place for the wrong thing.

Before I go, I'll give it to BigAntStudios, I think that moving to Weekly Patches with more testing is a good idea as much as some people don't like that. These patches need to be tested and made sure that they don't screw anything up. I think that much has been learned from this thread from everyone.

Despite everything, If Big Ant can fix this. They've got my money for the Steam Version and any future games. They'll have proven to me that they can fix a big mess like this in my eyes. If not, Well... They got my money for the PS5 copy... Probably won't get any more of it though.

That's not true in my case, I was able to hand ball chain away from packs, the game was the best in that area with the use of hand balling. IR Gurus games were all "win ruck, kick, mark, goal" style of games.

Yes that's how I had to play to win (when I'd have rathered a different play style). But again if I want to play footy a certain way I just play the game that allows me to do so.

Despite everything, If Big Ant can fix this. They've got my money for the Steam Version and any future games. They'll have proven to me that they can fix a big mess like this in my eyes. If not, Well... They got my money for the PS5 copy... Probably won't get any more of it though.

My main gripes are with the teleport tackles and the player movement. Fix that, add more stability so less crashes occur and the game will be much more enjoyable.

Still glad that I didn't pay for my copy, I would have been extra annoyed by the experience!!! I'd be very surprised if there's another instalment.

Last edited:
Iā€™ve stepped up the difficulty on PS5 from medium to hard and havenā€™t really noticed much change (admittedly only one quarter of footy). Is difficulty still a work in progress or is that sorted?
Cheers

Awesome!

2 quarters further in and the main issues/bugs I've come across are;

• Hitouts as touched on, impossible to win as inferior ruckman and nearly always go to advantage
  • Change player - I'm not sure what exactly I want here, but something about the behaviour needs to change. I'm often holding sprint in one direction assuming I will change to X player, but then it takes me to Y player and I sprint nowhere and the player takes sooo long to recover even after I change player again
  • Ground balls. As others have said, these feel so scripted at times. I'll run straight over the ball for no reason and then a player behind me will pick it up.
  • Still getting the handball direction/power glitch. And player stuck in mud when receiving handball for no apparent reason.
  • Lastly, tackling. Easy enough to lay tackles but the AI gets such clean kicks and handballs out of tackles. Kick it 45m to a pinpoint target or nail a handball backwards to a teammate every time.
  • Kind of related to above point, I think the logical best way to defend in contest in this game would be to use the FIFA style "call defender button". It's way too chaotic and unpredictable with change player to be able to steer your players in the contest to tackle efficiently. I would much rather control a player slightly off the ball to either guard space, OR create an option when it looks like I'll win the clearance. This is how I play Fifa and I assume many others do, as a lot of the art of defending is positioning rather than the coralling/tackling. Also given there really is no 'on-the-ball pressure' in this game there is little to gain by trying to defend the ball carrier, I'd still love to see a coralling option where a player being effectively corraled has hugely reduced kick accuracy, and is forced to kick high over the corral. But obviously not expecting this in AFL 23. Would love to see the 'Call Defender' type button though, it kind of exists anyway if you just change player away from the contest but sometimes would be nice to be able to call the closest player in toward the ball carrier.
Would also love to instruct defenders/midfielders, etc to run loose forward or wide of the user controlled player once the ball is in the user's possession. Just to present uncontested options.

Remove this Banner Ad

Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back