Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

pretty cool and thanks for the post!

Just a question on the symmetrical bell curve shaping, shouldnā€™t it be much more ā€biasedā€ with a shallower curve/fall away as age gets older (along x-axis) - in terms of players actually still playing?

By this I mean, for those players who make it to say 30, they are generally by far the more talented players, who still have skills we, beyond an early draft recruit.

Take the example further, anyone playing at say 35 is generally a star of the game. So even though they have dropped off from their own peak, they are still in the top tier of players generally, and well above the abilities and rankings of first/second/third year players on average.

If this is a way to ensure teams in the game delist players, I get it, but if it means players like Trac and Bont start getting ranked like rookies later in their career, then Iā€™m a bit more hesitant to agree with it. Have a look at Pendles or Dusty - theyā€™d be well to the right on that curve, but no way would they be ranked with the equivalent rookie player on the left side of the curve.

Good point!

Oh man, I wish I had 10% of the art director's talent. I can barely draw a stick figure. My art comes in other forms, if any of you are old-school MMO players or even RPG players from a few years ago there's a good chance you read some of my guides or ones I assisted on.

I also can type a lot and make it TLDR with how in-depth I can and like to go, Ross can confirm that. I like to check all my writing to make sure it's as accurate as possible.

Although I don't like to reply to lots of negativity but this really isn't super negative. Ross and I both agree on timelines, as we talk all the time about things. Yesterday's delay was one of my choosing, which I came on and mentioned. Even if I didn't mention it and said nothing it would have been the same responses worded differently. When I represent the work of not just a single person but multiple teams of people I want to make sure that what I say is accurate to them, so "I" chose to delay it to make sure it was ok by the super talented people behind these systems.

When it comes to player progression it relies on a few factors when it comes to growth. The main ones are the "peak" and "decline" of each player based on the position will determine how stats are added or reduced. Let's use the example of a ruck. Say the peak age is simplified to 25, at 23 they will still have improvement but they will not be as a large potential allocation as when there are at their peak performance.

Let's play around with some numbers to give an idea, again these are not the exact numbers as there are some variables on peak age and weighting on stat distributions on the role and match performance, but just to get across the idea. With the +/- stats based on individual player performance during the match.

23/50% role match rating +2
23/100% role match rating +5
24/50% role match rating +4
24/100% role match rating +7
25/50% role match rating +6
25/100% role match rating +10

At 25 years old they will "peak" from that position which will have the maximum amount of gains across the player based on match performance with some weightings.

Now when you peak eventually you will have a "decline," again for the purpose of this example say 28 is when you start on a heavy decline. This will mean a reduction in your stats based on match performance again with weightings taken into consideration such as the position where you may not be able to maintain those numbers.

You will start to see a curve the other way and will start to see your stats and OVR declining to a potentially heavy drop depending on match performance for the specific role. Of course, keeping your player active in their role can help push back the reduction from age but will not stop it overall as time goes on.

For the more visually inclined. Let's use a standard curve to show how a player can progress.

View attachment 1717224

In this, the red line would represent a new draftee. They won't start at 0 but they will start somewhere along the curve. Now the black line is where they "could" end up after their peak days are over and will have some major degradation which you would begin to filter out before this as why keep someone who potentially has the same OVR as a draftee but won't show any more progression. In the game, it would be a flatter curve at the top for the peak but I hope you get what I was going for. Again this is an example of the potential outcomes for each player would have a lot of variance taking into consideration all the different factors that each player has.

I actually noticed the other night Jack Riewoldt was showing as an 69 overall in my game in the 3rd season, and this now makes sense as to why he had dropped off as he was well past his peak age wise so he declined.

Definitely already working in game based on that.

on the flipside, my infamous drafted key forward, Cockshell, his overall still remains at 66 but I swear he is improving on field as he is now clunking marks and kicking goals from the boundary on the run.

is it possible his skill level / attributes are growing behind the scenes but for some reason his overall is still displaying the same as his drafted overall?

or has the big man just got lucky a few times taking those grabs? :D

pretty cool and thanks for the post!

Just a question on the symmetrical bell curve shaping, shouldnā€™t it be much more ā€biasedā€ with a shallower curve/fall away as age gets older (along x-axis) - in terms of players actually still playing?

By this I mean, for those players who make it to say 30, they are generally by far the more talented players from their draft years, who still have skills well beyond an early draft recruit.

Take the example further, anyone playing at say 35 is generally a star of the game. So even though they have dropped off from their own peak, they are still in the top tier of players generally, and well above the abilities and rankings of first/second/third year players on average.

If this is a way to ensure teams in the game delist players, I get it, but if it means players like Trac and Bont start getting ranked like rookies later in their career, then Iā€™m a bit more hesitant to agree with it. Have a look at Pendles or Dusty - theyā€™d be well to the right on that curve, but no way would they be ranked with the equivalent rookie player on the left side of the curve.

edit: Pendles is a great example - Iā€™m not sure what heā€™s rated in this game, but given heā€™s at the extreme end of that bell curve, Iā€™m sure his rating is still in the top 5% of the comp. Which brings me back to my question - will the game have the best players in their current peak (Bont, Trac etc) ranked just as high when projected forward?
Agreed. Also there needs to be a player specific infinite incline for Tom Hawkins who just seems to keep improving the older he gets so when he's 80yo in the game his overall rating is 300

Agreed. Also there needs to be a player specific infinite incline for Tom Hawkins who just seems to keep improving the older he gets so when he's 80yo in the game his overall rating is 300

While the Eagles have a Logan's Run clause where when they turn 30 they drop to 0 with a 100% chance of injury.

I actually noticed the other night Jack Riewoldt was showing as an 69 overall in my game in the 3rd season, and this now makes sense as to why he had dropped off as he was well past his peak age wise so he declined.

on the flipside, my infamous drafted key forward, Cockshell, his overall still remains at 66 but I swear he is improving on field as he is now clunking marks and kicking goals from the boundary on the run.

is it possible his skill level / attributes are growing behind the scenes but for some reason his overall is still displaying the same as his drafted overall?

So season 3 is 2025. Shouldnā€™t Jack have retired? There just has to be retirements in the game.

So season 3 is 2025. Shouldnā€™t Jack have retired? There just has to be retirements in the game.
He has definitely gone from the team list now.

not sure if it was retiring or delisted, I leave those decision on Auto ha ha.

Upon reflection I think I worded my post wrong regarding timelines.

During the back end of the 2nd season I noticed he was ranked in the 60's as I was looking to slot him back into the side.

during the off season heading into the 3rd season, he is no longer on the list.

Can someone please tell me why this game always crashes when i finish a game of season or career mode (ps5).
Its makes season/career mode pointless to play.
Yeah, I sometimes crash or even more regularly I finish a game and it doesn't register because it disconnects me from my profile when loading back into management so doesn't save and have to replay the match. Very frustrating.

Still unsure why it needs to be online to play a single user match.

Without having a direct quote because Iā€™m too lazy to find it.
Something along the lines of it could damage players brands in real life or give them a bad look or something.

Thereā€™s literally a suspension option you can turn on or off same as injuries.

Not directed at you obviously.. but what changed from them adding that option to toggle on or off in the game to now they donā€™t want to hurt anyoneā€™s feelings.

Itā€™s a game ffs

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Thereā€™s literally a suspension option you can turn on or off same as injuries.

Not directed at you obviously.. but what changed from them adding that option to toggle on or off in the game to now they donā€™t want to hurt anyoneā€™s feelings.

Itā€™s a game ffs

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Iā€™ve seen the toggle option. Iā€™ve never seen a suspension so Iā€™m not sure whatā€™s going on

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Iā€™ve seen the toggle option. Iā€™ve never seen a suspension so Iā€™m not sure whatā€™s going on
Given that toggle has been there from the start my guess would be it was a feature that BA wanted / intended to be in the game, but maybe it got squashed due to some external factors (AFL / AFLPA)

its probably you pressing buttons at the right time

Very curious to hear about the whole Hamish scenario tbh
Why is it taking so long to get him in the game ?
Will he commentate mens and if so, will it alternate between him and Huddo ?

Part of me thinks heā€™s commentated specifically for ProTeam, hence why heā€™s not in yet. Otherwise it just doesnā€™t make any sense. Has a sports game ever had a change of commentators post release before ?

Keen to hear more when that information becomes available !

Part of me thinks heā€™s commentated specifically for ProTeam, hence why heā€™s not in yet. Otherwise it just doesnā€™t make any sense. Has a sports game ever had a change of commentators post release before ?

Who knows, maybe Hamish's influence goes as his brother moves on???

I wouldā€™ve loved a bit of Gilbert McAdam!

Agreed.

At least asking about Hamish isn't completely verboten though, unlike entire game modes.

Have played a few seasons now, and the game is pretty functional provided you now how to avoid the mechanics that don't work. Getting the ball out in a tackle, even when flicking R, probably only has a 50% success rate, so kick the ball if there's anyone bearing down on you. If its a loose ball, the player who collects it is slow over the first 5 metres, so don't bother if there's an oppo player next to you.

A few patches ago, the flankers seemed more intuitive. They would come past the wingers for a handball, or stick wide for a get out kick. Now they double back as soon as they reach the winger with the ball, so the corridor seems to be the more reliable way to move the ball forward.

The one thing that really shits me is when you press to kick as you're about to be tackled, and the ball drops to the boot but then magnetically zips back into your hands for a HTB.

avoid the mechanics that don't work
This is the issue, we shouldn't have to avoid things that should work though. A team mate should not feel like he is stuck on glue when receiving a handball or getting the ball in anyway. Should be a fluid movement and no stopping or slowing down.

"AFL 23 is the most authentic video game football experience to date." How?

So the set shot timer also determines the ball animation as well ? I thought this was timed ok.... but obviously wasn't a good drop punt (going by the ball's aerodynamics/physics etc etc). I know in other instances of bad timing, instead of it being a drop punt, it turns into more of a flat punt that doesn't spin at all (not to be confused with the torpedo punt animation).

Another thing I'm seeing more of (which has been mentioned over the last few weeks) the live in game animations play out one way differ to what takes place on the instant replay on occasion. One example (that actually wasn't captured grr), I'd kick the ball into the goal and it looked like it was spraying high and left on an angle. But the replay showed the ball sailing high up into the air, but just straight - not veering left as it did when live.

There have been other things like seeing the ball go up, but at the peak height.... the ball "drops" and descends on a different line/path way. It looks super odd (very scripted I guess ?). Kind of like another teleporting element.

"AFL 23 is the most authentic video game football experience to date." How?

Champion data ratings obviously :p /boom tishhhhh

Oh and I didn't realise I had already reached 100+ hours of game time, oooooooops better move on to something else :p

TOJRFUn.png

While I know there haven't been any new patches since the last one, but I've noticed that the loading times between menus (especially the loading transition before the teams run into the ground) have gotten a lot shorter.

Last edited:
He has definitely gone from the team list now.

not sure if it was retiring or delisted, I leave those decision on Auto ha ha.

Upon reflection I think I worded my post wrong regarding timelines.

During the back end of the 2nd season I noticed he was ranked in the 60's as I was looking to slot him back into the side.

during the off season heading into the 3rd season, he is no longer on the list.
Maybe thatā€™s how they do it! Since they canā€™t decide when someone ā€œretiresā€ in game, they just keep lowering their rankings until they are an old man with a rating of 3/100 (although boomer Harvey ruins that theory)

Remove this Banner Ad

Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back