Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is where we need some of the Big Ant Devs doing a showcase video and actually explaining some of the more complex controls. I still want to see someone from their staff using the bounce handball effectively and showing us all how to execute it properly.
Another thing we were told would come before release, then told it would come shortly thereafter...

Maybe we can get some developer video later in the week but if not theres always the in-store play sessionsā€¦ā€¦

All signs the game was never in a decent shape before launch.

I remember people sharing tutorial videos Big Ant created for Cricket 22, expecting the same for AFL 23.

Secondly if it wasnā€™t ready and they said theyā€™re holding off for 6-12 months, the same people would have been in here complaining that itā€™s not good enough and it should have been ready.

Disagree.

I've made it quite clear I'm grateful for the PlayStation and PC beta testers.

If it's still a mess when the Xbox version releases though, then they've stuffed both the launch and stuffed the delay šŸ¤£

Disagree.

I've made it quite clear I'm grateful for the PlayStation and PC beta testers.

If it's still a mess when the Xbox version releases though, then they've stuffed both the launch and stuffed the delay šŸ¤£
Itā€™s not a mess now.
Itā€™s not perfect but since day 1 itā€™s come along significantly and is a very enjoyable product.
Some people will just never be pleased.

Finally bought the game and so far it's not as fun as Evo 2 :(

I'm not sure if the game is bad or I am just bad it. Even on the easiest difficulty I'm losing more than I'm winning. Marking and spoiling are super easy, but aiming handballs is difficult and tackling is close to impossible.

The auto-interchange is frustrating as it doesn't reset your lineup at quarter breaks and the team can't be adjusted manually without turning it off and back on again in the settings.

I did try to play online a moment ago, but there didn't seem to be anyone available to play against.

Quite a few people in here have said that it wouldā€™ve been better if BA held off until the game was ready.

First of all, it was ready but something awful and unforeseen happened on day 1.
Secondly if it wasnā€™t ready and they said theyā€™re holding off for 6-12 months, the same people would have been in here complaining that itā€™s not good enough and it should have been ready.

Big Ant literally canā€™t win with some people here.
What's wrong with delaying games? Some of the best games were delayed during production.

Soā€¦..safe to say another night with no Steam patch or console patch dropping tomorrow?
Animated GIF

I'm not sure if the game is bad or I am just bad it. Even on the easiest difficulty I'm losing more than I'm winning.

The auto-interchange is frustrating as it doesn't reset your lineup at quarter breaks and the team can't be adjusted manually without turning it off and back on again in the settings.

I did try to play online a moment ago, but there didn't seem to be anyone available to play against.

Itā€™s not you mate it takes a bit of getting used to but once you start to play more i feel like it gets easier. Set shots Iā€™m still struggling with but itā€™s a struggle that makes it a challenge which is good. The games definitely better then launch and when you can exploit I guess you can say the bugs Iā€™m actually really enjoying it.

A lot of people are having an issue with auto interchange. Iā€™m doing a management career as Brisbane at the moment and I have the big O obviously as first ruck and I have Daniher as my back up. Iā€™ve never had any issues with rotating of subs. Iā€™ve figured out having some younger players on the bench is good for rotation as I believe (could be wrong) they improve with game time.

Online i would even bother with, Iā€™ve played about 3 games online and the same 3 games my opponent did the same play over and over and over again and I couldnā€™t stop them from doing it. So people have found ways to just dominate, I dunno maybe Iā€™m just shit but yeah.

Welcome to the journey that is afl 23

Management mode has drafts, trading, tactics, end of season awards, JNT BA has spoken about player development.
What more do you want?

Injuries Iā€™ll give you.
Suspensions Iā€™ll give you.

But neither are game breakers.
I want to be able to fired, have contracts offered to me, understand what my "rivals" are, have training, have injuries, have suspensions, have state leagues. What we have now is so bare bones. For a their flagship mode(until pro-team comes out) its incredibly disappointing. Even when pro team comes out, I want this mode to be pouring with content because lord knows I most likely won't be playing pro team that much. Thats not why I bought the game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On another note anything dropped for the steam guys and girls tonight?

The patch notes that are updated on steam that has been posted in here a couple of time. (Not their twitter but steam itself). is that done by BA or someone thatā€™s noticed these changes whilst playing?

Sorry if thatā€™s a ridiculous question, Iā€™ve got no clue how steam works. Seems weird to not get any sort of patch tonight know. When was the last patch for steam/consoles? Itā€™s got to be coming up to a couple of weeks for ps4/5

EDIT: last ā€œpatchā€ was the 16th for steam but ps4/5 Iā€™m not actually sure. Did this minor update have much of a difference on game play??

Attachments

• IMG_0254.jpeg
    IMG_0254.jpeg
    122.3 KB · Views: 57
When was the last patch for steam/consoles? Itā€™s got to be coming up to a couple of weeks for ps4/5

EDIT: last ā€œpatchā€ was the 16th for steam but ps4/5 Iā€™m not actually sure. Did this minor update have much of a difference on game play??
Honestly I've lost track when the last 'patch' was I think steam got one end of last week, but consoles yeah can't remember, it sure hasn't been 'weekly' and steam for sure hasn't been 'most days' as it was quoted

I want to be able to fired, have contracts offered to me, understand what my "rivals" are, have training, have injuries, have suspensions, have state leagues. What we have now is so bare bones. For a their flagship mode(until pro-team comes out) its incredibly disappointing. Even when pro team comes out, I want this mode to be pouring with content because lord knows I most likely won't be playing pro team that much. Thats not why I bought the game

Even Big Ant know it's in a terrible state, otherwise they'd be happy to/allowed to talk about it.

Soā€¦..safe to say another night with no Steam patch or console patch dropping tomorrow?
Animated GIF
Quite baffling isnā€™t it

Remember all the hype when we all found out BigAnt were at the helm of the next AFL gameā€¦ Feels like we were hyped for a completely different company looking back

What's wrong with delaying games? Some of the best games were delayed during production.
Hogwarts Legacy got delayed numerous times. Probably best thing WB did. Game was phenomenal. And to reflect that, has needed less than a few patches. Delaying it was frustrating, but everyone got one of the best games of 2023 and there was little to complain about.

Continuing to enjoy the latest Steam patch. Assuming this is the new normal - i.e. no returning bugs - this cycle is the right decision to make.

A lot of the balancing feels about right. Centre clearances are possible but not guaranteed, ditto defence and attack. The only one that really stands out is the the AI's defensive kick outs, it is amateur hour with a lot of turnovers and kicking into the man on the mark etc. I'm sure BA are all over it.

In the nitpick department:-

• tackling and dead balls feeling a little slow and ponderous. I don't think the answer is to speed things up, although that might help. Something is missing.
  • selecting goal kick around the ground is way too OP
  • Speaking of OP, selecting to kick straight in front of goal instead of using the goal kick button is far too useful, it works the majority of the time. (Might be a hard one to fix, ppl will complain if you kick crooked in the forward 50)
  • Games are won or lost by whether your HBFs consistently outmark the HFFs, another tough nut to crack. If you soften the mechanic everyone will complain. Perhaps we just need fewer successful marks around the ground.

One observation - for long balls, it feels like manual player selection is influenced by where the ball is in the air instead of the drop zone. Hopefully an easy one to fix.

Really enjoying it, assuming things remain stable I think offline play is now over the hump.

Last edited:
Hogwarts Legacy got delayed numerous times. Probably best thing WB did. Game was phenomenal. And to reflect that, has needed less than a few patches. Delaying it was frustrating, but everyone got one of the best games of 2023 and there was little to complain about.

I downloaded hogwarts the other day. Only a couple of hours into it but wow what a game, one of the best Iā€™ve played and Iā€™m barely scraping the surface. If I get the shits with afl 23 I play that for a few hours. Will probably be the same until ps4 gets another patch

Am I missing a few pages or something? There was no patch last night?

Whatā€™s going on, for there to be so many little niggles everywhere you would have expected at least steam to get a patch last night.

Or are they like they said testing everythingā€¦hopefully itā€™s a chunky patch fixing a lot of the main issues everyone seems to be experiencing constantly.

The journey continues my friends.

EDIT: as per the below, could this be why we havenā€™t got any patches? Perhaps pro team is coming out with hoepfully a good patch running the game smoothly.
2d807ef0da58652fd5c032051f88e36d.jpg

Ill be playing proteam, management career really just feels like season mode but you can play around with some contracts and trade players. Its starting to get a bit stale and boring for my liking as it stands. Hopefully Theres a couple of bits and pieces they add in. Even if itā€™s not in their immediate plans, something patched in down the track just to keep everyone interested.

I played fifa ultimate team mostly offline and it has heaps of different options and replay-ability so Iā€™m hoping this has the same. Thereā€™s such a stigma with ultimate team re micro transactions, Iā€™ve never put a cent into it but have just been lucky, pulled some good cards, sold them and bought the players I want.

Once I had built up a good team then I took it online, so fingers crossed BA have done something similar cause I know a lot of people donā€™t like online and if they can play offline they will draw a lot more people in if they realise they donā€™t have to spend money to enjoy it.

Granted itā€™s their first ever release of pro-team I can almost guarantee itā€™s not going to match fifa ultimate team by any stretch but fingers crossed for a bit more depth than management mode.

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat. I'll look at proteam but it was definitely not why I purchased the game.

I am in agreement with the majority on here regarding the state of the game. It is no where near where it should be and there is no way we should just be expected to accept it and continue to state "it's better than it was on release day". What a load of crap! There is not a chance in hell that I'd be happy with a meal that I purchased where the menu and waiter provided a list of features that the meal came with yet when purchased did not taste how it was advertised or was missing the included parts that were explained to me. I'd return it and ask for my money back, which I have done numerous times. As a consumer we have the right to complain about substandard products. This is a substandard product.

Why should we be expected to accept something that did not include the advertised features or even play how it was advertised and also just accept that it will get better especially when we forked out good money for this tripe?

Remove this Banner Ad

Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back