Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was a bit surprised the 50m penalty thing wasn't as big of an issue as I expected. I had one 50m over the course of both matches. It was a bit dubious but otherwise I was able to avoid them pretty easily. Made sure to player switch to my man on the mark and didn't infringe. Maybe I got lucky so far? Who knows.
When your AI teammates give them away try to not Clarko-punch your own walls :p

Legitimate User Error Video!!!

Managed to reverse a surging AI attack, got it down to my forward 50, thinking I was a decent chance at a goal, was celebrating............. then I check the replay for confirmation

nathan-fillion-uhm.gif
:p

** Due to the side to side camera angle I didn't know it started left and stayed left!

I accept that this was a 50m penalty, I'm posting the video because of the "skip" of the running to the new kick off point animation. Found that odd

Should have been insufficient intent, but I'll take it :p

Examples of NOT being allowed to travel straight to the player with the ball. First video I get dragged away (not by a wall, just couldn't directly run to the player). Second video was more of a wall effect.

Must be going crazy but how did Melbourne get the free ? :p

Also you can trigger a 50m penalty, but if the AI disposes the ball as it's called it's like an advantage call and the 50m penalty doesn't actually trigger ?

Last edited:

You hand-balled towards the boundary and the ball crossed before you tapped it back in = insufficient intent

I'm aware of what I did, but the game kept "playing on" and continued past that point :(

Ila7Wvc.png

This match was wild, my first and third quarters were disasters.. but second and fourth were sublime. I guess going left to right was the optimal scoring end for the game :p. The match seemed to drag on a bit - 10 minute quarters set to "match time", most quarters went forever - so the game took more than 2 hours to finish. I normally set it on real time and it drags on as well.

I knew what I had to do in the fourth quarter after playing my second, I knew the third would be a crap one. But I started the final quarter on fire, 3 fast goals in the first minute. Then I just pulled away, but Melbourne ended up coming back. Had to regroup and ensure my lead wasn't completely evaporated.

I'm aware of what I did, but the game kept "playing on" and continued past that point :(
It didnā€™t really, you pressed the tap button and it played out the animation, otherwise the game would just ā€œsnapā€ to the next play as soon as the ball hits the boundary line.

Have people noticed or been able to do this? Run off the mark so you donā€™t have to stand it?
I pressed sprint immediately, so maybe that allowed it to happen? (Which is good)

Ahh yeah by the AI teammates, not by my controlled player.
But still, happy they donā€™t ping you for players youā€™re not controlling.

You'd hope they'd just make the AI not run directly through the protected area... It is a pretty basic thing that shouldn't still be so prevalent this long after release.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did I read someone say the sub works?

Is that with manual interchange?
Iā€™ve got auto on and itā€™s still just 5 bench players.
Yeah I did it in Manual interchange.
For auto interchange, when you say 5 bench playersā€¦ does that mean a guy gets subbed off, but then comes back on later?

I havenā€™t actually tried to do that with manual interchangeā€¦ so Iā€™ll see if that happens today.

Yeah I did it in Manual interchange.
For auto interchange, when you say 5 bench playersā€¦ does that mean a guy gets subbed off, but then comes back on later?

I havenā€™t actually tried to do that with manual interchangeā€¦ so Iā€™ll see if that happens today.
Yeah. At various stages in Q1 Iā€™ve had Maurice Rioli Jr X 2
Tim Taranto
Trent Cotchin all be in the sub position.

MRJ named sub.

I decided last night to simulate an AI vs AI game on hardest difficulty just to see if it plays ā€˜betterā€™ then my amateurish abilities do andā€¦ā€¦.wow šŸ˜… the AI is so dumb and watching the game, its annoying to watch groups of 3-4 players all lead to the same spot then stop dead in their tracks and run backwards after a delay. šŸ¤¦šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø

I decided last night to simulate an AI vs AI game on hardest difficulty just to see if it plays ā€˜betterā€™ then my amateurish abilities do andā€¦ā€¦.wow šŸ˜… the AI is so dumb and watching the game, its annoying to watch groups of 3-4 players all lead to the same spot then stop dead in their tracks and run backwards after a delay. šŸ¤¦šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø
Some of the AI movement makes absolutely no sense.
Another example is when youā€™re rebounding off half back and thereā€™s players supporting the ball carrier but instead of running forwards, they completely stop when you go to handball to them and then the obvious ā€˜stuck in the mudā€™ shit happens.
Or when youā€™ve got the ball around the 50 and youā€™re looking to pass to a leading forward except they all lead away from the empty space directly in front of goal and donā€™t make second leads šŸ¤¦šŸ½
No different to Evo 2ā€™s at times tbh.

However they still seem to be able to chain kicks/handpasses and link up plays well enough (most of the time). Like I see triangle moves that evade my defenders (which isn't that hard when the game doesn't let you run directly to them and you zig/zag instead), but a few quick movements by them and it's already down their forward 50. Whereas I need to be a bit more methodical in my movements.

But I do see silly moments as well and it's not just them booting the ball out on the full when they are 20m or less in front of goal :p

Some of the AI movement makes absolutely no sense.
Another example is when youā€™re rebounding off half back and thereā€™s players supporting the ball carrier but instead of running forwards, they completely stop when you go to handball to them and then the obvious ā€˜stuck in the mudā€™ s**t happens.
Or when youā€™ve got the ball around the 50 and youā€™re looking to pass to a leading forward except they all lead away from the empty space directly in front of goal and donā€™t make second leads šŸ¤¦šŸ½
No different to Evo 2ā€™s at times tbh.

Yep 100% agreed with you here!! Players seem to branch out sideways in play instead of continuing to lead and you get left with no short options. Itā€™s definitely 100% the mud/momentum issue. It kills off all movement and then seems to create random huddles around the oval šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø I canā€™t remember Evoā€™s AI itā€™s been a while lol

However they still seem to be able to chain kicks/handpasses and link up plays well enough (most of the time). Like I see triangle moves that evade my defenders (which isn't that hard when the game doesn't let you run directly to them and you zig/zag instead), but a few quick movements by them and it's already down their forward 50. Whereas I need to be a bit more methodical in my movements.

But I do see silly moments as well and it's not just them booting the ball out on the full when they are 20m or less in front of goal :p

Yeah agreed it seems to be 50/50. They have flashes of brilliance and then lots of really dumb moments like chipping kicks in their own 50 instead of shooting for goal. Also I noticed about 75% of goals were 30m out, directly in front and always in play just from some random gather šŸ¤”šŸ˜Ø

So I published this little piece I've wanted to write for a couple of weeks

"AFL 23 is the best AFL video game when everything is working as envisioned." If you mean by what we're given, if you remove the bugs, I would disagree. The game is mostly a kick, mark, goal style of game. You can check out the gameplay on peoples YouTube, no one is playing like the real sport, where you have to hand ball around. The contested play is vastly lacking, there's no pack marking, when even Evo 2 had pack marking.

I don't know about crediting the updating, when the game is still unfinished, very bugged and glitched. I don't believe it's the employee developers fault, more so a producer issue for not giving them enough time by not delaying the game, then putting a band aid on it by overworking them. The praise for the way the CEO conducts themselves is a bit questionable, when they're known for not listening, being insincere/sketchy, censoring people, bullying people, and ticking off their ex-employer on here who gave them millions.

Last edited:
"AFL 23 is the best AFL video game when everything is working as envisioned." If you mean by what we're given, if you remove the bugs, I would disagree. The game is mostly a kick, mark, goal style of game. You can check out the gameplay on peoples YouTube, no one is playing like the real sport, where you have to hand ball around. The contested play is vastly lacking, there's no pack marking, when even Evo 2 had pack marking.

I don't know about crediting the updating, when the game is still unfinished, very bugged and glitched. I don't believe it's the employee developers fault, more so a producer issue for not giving them enough time by not delaying the game, then putting a band aid on it by overworking them. The praise for the way the CEO conducts themselves is a bit questionable, when they're known for not listening, being insincere/sketchy, censoring people, bullying people, and ticking off their ex-employer on here who gave them millions.
The point is that the game plays much better than it did at launch. I played it yesterday and it was almost enjoyable in patches. Regarding Ross, and I am not defending him, I think he says things that maybe he shouldn't (promising things etc.) but at the end of the day, he was still here giving updates when he could. I know people who work at Big Ant and have nothing but positive things to say about Ross.

Like I said, the games deserve better than what we've got and so do we.

Remove this Banner Ad

Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back