Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My internet went out mid playing the game yesterday so when i finished my match the game locked up and crashed throwing up an error. Didn't think much of it

Go to open the game today and game crashes to the desktop past the logos each time without fail, no error messages
Might be best to log a ticket with Big Ant on that one. I am of the understanding that there would be no tech support available on this chat.

My internet went out mid playing the game yesterday so when i finished my match the game locked up and crashed throwing up an error. Didn't think much of it

Go to open the game today and game crashes to the desktop past the logos each time without fail, no error messages
Basically its doing you a favour then 🤣

Well, NBA has released and FIFA is just over a week away now. BigAnt sure have fumbled any chance at people splurging on ProTeam when they could do the same for fully functioning Triple A titles.
Amazing how they’ve managed to stuff up just about every aspect of this game at one point or another.
Yeah agreed on this couldn’t care about the footy game now waste of $80-90 bucks it’s been 5 months they haven’t improved much at all at that time the communication is also very disappointing from big ant this has not been done by a professional gaming company I hope they just start by trying to make another afl game admitt they ****ed up and not rush this one maybe in 2-3 years time we might have a decent afl game

Got around to watching Michaels chat with Caden they both sounded very flat and bummed about the lack of content they have been able to do on AFL. Don't blame them it would have been frustrating planning a lot of content based on expected modes and not delivered.
I really need get get that edited and posted, so thanks for reminding me ha ha.

Yeah it was great to chat with Caden, and yeah I think we were both planning for more than we have been able to do for sure.

I really need get get that edited and posted, so thanks for reminding me ha ha.

Yeah it was great to chat with Caden, and yeah I think we were both planning for more than we have been able to do for sure.

Hey mate is there any update on your interview with Ross? At this point I’d like to hear what he has to say regarding how everything played out.

A devpost from Ubisoft about their upcoming Call of Duty style shooter 'XDefiant' not being approved for 1st party systems.
Thought it was interesting and relevant insight, given what's gone down with the Xbox version of AFL 23.

Here is a detailed description of how the submission process goes:​

Submission is the part of development where we give the game to the 1st parties (Sony, Xbox, etc.) to check that the game works correctly in their environments. To get to that we have to self-test with internal QA/Compliance teams to try and find any issues that might get flagged in the submission process. Once we have fixed or completed all of the tasks that we want/think we need for submission we then spend about 2-3 weeks prepping and validating a CM (Candidate Master) that we think is the final version of the game for submission. It then goes through 1 week of heavy QA & Compliance testing by several Ubisoft teams. If it passes, then it goes to the 1st parties to be certified for release. 1st parties take a week to get their final report on the submission and give us a Pass or Not Pass with a list of must fixes for the next submission. Also, to be clear during this submission process, the QC team at Ubisoft are putting the build through the ringer looking for functionality bugs and another team at Ubisoft, divided up into PC, Sony and Xbox groups are looking for compliance bugs. These are two different types of bugs. Functionality means “does this gameplay feature work as intended” (e.g., there is a bug where the damage from your weapon is altered after using a certain ability.) This is not something the 1st parties will be looking for unless of course it prevents them from testing. Those are on us to find. Compliance bugs are ones that relate to the systems and overall experience that the first parties expect from games on their platform. (e.g., Are trophies being properly tracked, is my friend’s list being properly updated with game status, etc.) After we get a Pass from all 1st parties, we are then ready to ship and need probably 1-2 weeks before launch depending on the date of the Pass. If we don’t Pass, then we need to spend about a month fixing the issues that came up from the submission and repeat the above process.
Full post.

A devpost from Ubisoft about their upcoming Call of Duty style shooter 'XDefiant' not being approved for 1st party systems.
Thought it was interesting and relevant insight, given what's gone down with the Xbox version of AFL 23.

Full post.
So, If the game is failing to get released on Xbox. It's because they can't get it to work properly with the Xbox System Software and blew up their relationship with Microsoft because they couldn't wait to get the game out...

Honestly, I think the answer to any question about how the game turned out and why we don't have etc. is that they just weren't thinking when they were making this game. If they had taken the time to think about this game and what to do with it and how much time they needed to make it and what was needed to make this game good. I guarantee you that this game would have been 100% different to what came out.

AFL 23 is the result of not thinking about the final result at all.

Frankly, At this point. I'm just waiting for the next game, whether that be in 2 years, 5 years, 10 years, 15 years or even longer. I just hope that Big Ant or whoever makes the next game actually takes the time to think things out the next time around and realizes what's realistic, what's practical, what can be put in the game and what amount of time is going to be needed to develop the game in the first place and to take the time they need to tick off all the boxes before they do release the game onto the world.

Hey mate is there any update on your interview with Ross? At this point I’d like to hear what he has to say regarding how everything played out.
I would like to hear it too but I think that's probably not going to happen IMO. Not because Michaels isn't trying, but because I don't think Ross wants to talk and open himself up to even more criticism... criticism that is very valid I might add.

Honestly, I feel for him and most of the other content creators. They got taken on this ride like the rest of us and copped a lot of shit that should have probably gone to Ross and how he led the company and this game.

I would like to hear it too but I think that's probably not going to happen IMO. Not because Michaels isn't trying, but because I don't think Ross wants to talk and open himself up to even more criticism... criticism that is very valid I might add.

Honestly, I feel for him and most of the other content creators. They got taken on this ride like the rest of us and copped a lot of s**t that should have probably gone to Ross and how he led the company and this game.
I was told I'd get an interview at some point. Chased it a couple times, Nada.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well cricket is still slated for Xbox release so I’m not sure it’s blown up their relationship with them? But until it comes out who knows.

Honestly, I feel for him and most of the other content creators. They got taken on this ride like the rest of us and copped a lot of s**t that should have probably gone to Ross and how he led the company and this game.

Yeah agreed. I dont actually expect Ross to come out and apologise for how its come about (or his online pot shots at people on message boards) but from a pure production/development standpoint, I’d like to hear how the process went to crap on release day other than this fabled ‘wrong version updated’ nonsense.

Yeah agreed. I dont actually expect Ross to come out and apologise for how its come about (or his online pot shots at people on message boards) but from a pure production/development standpoint, I’d like to hear how the process went to crap on release day other than this fabled ‘wrong version updated’ nonsense.

Would you realistically be able to take anything he says at face value though?
Can't imagine it'd be a very frank discussion.

For what its worth Ross and Ba twitter is re-tweeting promotions for copies of Cricket 24. You could only assume the big focus over the next month will be getting all that side of it up to scratch and release a lot better? Looks as though everything is all good for XBox for Cricket as its advertised everywhere with the same date. So it looks like AFL /Microsoft is a separate issue.

My Next Matchup: Fremantle vs North Melbourne, then the Prediction matchup for the 2023 AFL Grand Final after the Prelims are played

Cant believe how bad this ended up being

They better not do an AFL 24 for full price
You know they probably will... Though It'll more likely be AFL 25 if they give it another crack knowing their release schedule and that's if they want to give it another crack after the mess that was AFL 23...

It is wild to me that this may be the only AFL game I haven't purchases since AFL '99, given the hype earlier this year. This thread went absolutely NUTS in the month up to release. Never seen anything like it on bigfooty. Everyone was pumped.

What happened?

If I had to take a stab, I would say:
  • An enormous amount of time and effort (and importantly, resources) went into the 'look' of the game. This was fantastic, to give them credit. But it likely meant that programming was underfunded relative to what was required.
  • Project management was poor. I would guess that there was not a coherent plan to develop what the core gameplay should be, how it should work, and how all the pieces should fit together.
  • Features were added on the fly, at the whims of the CEO, adding to the chaos. As features were added, bugs were created, and compounded, further adding to the chaos.
  • As the time for release approached, and more features were added, and it became clear everthing wasn't clicking, no time was given to stop, pause, reasses the product, and see if it was fit for release.
EVO 2 still the goat

Last edited by a moderator:
It is wild to me that this may be the only AFL game I haven't purchases since AFL '99, given the hype earlier this year. This thread went absolutely NUTS in the month up to release. Never seen anything like it on bigfooty. Everyone was pumped.

What happened?

If I had to take a stab, I would say:
  • An enormous amount of time and effort (and importantly, resources) went into the 'look' of the game. This was fantastic, to give them credit. But it likely meant that programming was underfunded relative to what was required.
  • Project management was poor. I would guess that there was not a coherent plan to develop what the core gameplay should be, how it should work, and how all the pieces should fit together.
  • Features were added on the fly, at the whims of the CEO, adding to the chaos. As features were added, bugs were created, and compounded, further adding to the chaos.
  • As the time for release approached, and more features were added, and it became clear everthing wasn't clicking, no time was given to stop, pause, reasses the product, and see if it was fit for release.
I think you're bang on the money here and it really doesn't paint things well.

It honestly feels like they’d rather hide and pretend that this game never happened than actually be transparent about it at this point which doesn’t help anyone.

I’m honestly surprised and stunned at how things have been handled and frankly doesn’t make me or most people here confident about the future of this game or future games.

I want to believe that Big Ant are trying to make things better and give us a good idea of what is going on but it’s hard to trust them at this point. (Frankly, You'd have to be mad to take them at face value at this point.)

I honestly think the future looks quite dim IMO. I’d love for that to change but from what I’ve seen, I don’t think it’s going to…

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove this Banner Ad

Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back